What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

The Black Tiger I have is all steel handle & Base plate. The Top Cap is not magnetic at all. It does shave about the same as my genuine Gillette Tech though.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Black Tiger I have is all steel handle & Base plate. The Top Cap is not magnetic at all. It does shave about the same as my genuine Gillette Tech though.

Interesting. Every piece of the Black Tiger I have, including the top cap, is magnetic.

The Black Tiger really is a very good and well built razor - especially for for the money.

YMMV

It would be interesting to compare this more expensive tech clone to the cheaper ones. I love 💘 techs and seriously thought about purchasing this. But it claims to be an exact copy of a tech and I can get techs for as little as 10 bucks. Still the solid stainless handle is tempting. I did contact the manufacturer and he told me the handle is solid stainless but the head is zamak. He claims it's a much higher more rust resistant zamak than the typical manufacturer uses. Tempting but I haven't bit yet.

Here's an interesting cheaper tech come from the same company as above.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It would be interesting to compare this more expensive tech clone to the cheaper ones. I love 💘 techs and seriously thought about purchasing this. But it claims to be an exact copy of a tech and I can get techs for as little as 10 bucks. Still the solid stainless handle is tempting. I did contact the manufacturer and he told me the handle is solid stainless but the head is zamak. He claims it's a much higher more rust resistant zamak than the typical manufacturer uses. Tempting but I haven't bit yet.

$30 for a replica is pretty steep. You can get a good Pre or Post war, Canadian or USA original Tech in pretty good condition for at or less than that price.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here's an interesting cheaper tech come from the same company as above.

Saw that and was curious. Will probably end up adding it to the group.

$30 for a replica is pretty steep. You can get a good Pre or Post war, Canadian or USA original Tech in pretty good condition for at or less than that price.

Yes I agree. I've gotten most of my original techs for about 10 bucks. But I like techs enough that it does intrigue me due to the replica stainless handle. So far I've been able to resist. 😊

Interesting. Every piece of the Black Tiger I have, including the top cap, is magnetic.

The Black Tiger really is a very good and well built razor - especially for for the money.

YMMV
I Did order the razor shortly after the Black Tiger came out. Looks like they now offer it with a steel top cap.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yes I agree. I've gotten most of my original techs for about 10 bucks. But I like techs enough that it does intrigue me due to the replica stainless handle. So far I've been able to resist. 😊

I use a stainless steel Maggard MR11 handle with my Techs. Works wonderfully. :)

80*40mm MENS Safety Razor

Vintage Useful Durable Men's Manual Hand Safety Razor Double Edge Shaver

Men’s Traditional Classic Double Edge Chrome Shaving Safety Razor

Classic Double Edge Manual Razor Safety Razor

Some of the links above are for Rimei Techs (3 different handles, same head).

The Rimei head is the one which has the safety bar with 3 little bars in front of it (I'm not sure what they are called). I have this Tech clone and it's pretty good. Not the best manufacturing for symmetry but it shaves well nonetheless.

It can be identified as in this picture.

proxy.php

There's also one above for the YingJili Tech. I have read others have had issues with manufacturing for theirs, but mine is perfect. No tooling marks and it's symmetrical. It shaves the best of the 3 Tech clones I own. Very smooth and efficient, not a million miles from delivering results like a Fat Handle Tech.

The last Tech clone I own isn't a Tech Clone but I see it to be, and that's the Tech for the Indian Market, the 7 O'Clock Sterling. It doesn't shave like a Tech, it's quite aggressive. Used it once and that was enough!
proxy.php

Enjoy the trip and good luck with your Techs!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Some of the links above are for Rimei Techs (3 different handles, same head).

The Rimei head is the one which has the safety bar with 3 little bars in front of it (I'm not sure what they are called). I have this Tech clone and it's pretty good. Not the best manufacturing for symmetry but it shaves well nonetheless.

It can be identified as in this picture.

proxy.php

There's also one above for the YingJili Tech. I have read others have had issues with manufacturing for theirs, but mine is perfect. No tooling marks and it's symmetrical. It shaves the best of the 3 Tech clones I own. Very smooth and efficient, not a million miles from delivering results like a Fat Handle Tech.

The last Tech clone I own isn't a Tech Clone but I see it to be, and that's the Tech for the Indian Market, the 7 O'Clock Sterling. It doesn't shave like a Tech, it's quite aggressive. Used it once and that was enough!
proxy.php

Enjoy the trip and good luck with your Techs!
Thank you. Appreciate the additional information.

I'll weed out the duplicate heads - no need to shave with the same head multiple times. ;)

To each his or her own. But I don’t see the point of a Tech clone when so many real Techs in excellent condition are available, almost all inexpensive. The different versions do shave differently but not all that much.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
To each his or her own. But I don’t see the point of a Tech clone when so many real Techs in excellent condition are available, almost all inexpensive. The different versions do shave differently but not all that much.
Just having some fun. ;)

I have a very nice line-up of genuine Gillette Techs and have no intention of replacing any of them with Clones.

I must note, however, that the Black Tiger shaves really well and may actually earn a place at the 'Tech Table'.

Is the Tech your main razor?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Just having some fun. ;)

I have a very nice line-up of genuine Gillette Techs and have no intention of replacing any of them with Clones.

I must note, however, that the Black Tiger shaves really well and may actually earn a place at the 'Tech Table'.

Is the Tech your main razor?

Fun is fun, and this fun is harmless except for the self-inflicted nicks.

I don’t have 1 main razor. I pretty much alternate through my collection—7 at the moment, including 4 Techs (2 pre-war, 1 FB and 1 1970 US model).

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hmmm, interesting. It appears Maggard has changed the designs on some of their heads.

Maggard Razors Customizable Four Head Bundle | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products - https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/maggard-razors-customizable-four-head-bundle/

View attachment 1022820
When I last looked at them, quite a while ago, all their heads were the same style as the top two in that picture. Similar in design to the Merkur and EJ bases. I'm glad to see thats changed.

The V3M.

View attachment 1022821

In my opinion, the V3M head should be included in the test group. :)

Top Bottom