What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

To each his or her own. But I don’t see the point of a Tech clone when so many real Techs in excellent condition are available, almost all inexpensive. The different versions do shave differently but not all that much.

Some people won't do used razors at all so if they want the tech experience a clone is the only option. Or others even if they do like vintage they just want something new and shiny.

Looking forward to your reviews on these clones. Should make an interesting thread. It would also make for a fun challenge. A month dedicated to tech clones.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like volunteers are needed...
That would certainly make this go quicker. ;)

I'd be willing to ship a couple of clones to any volunteers to shave with and post impressions on this thread.

If you're not in a position to ship them back, no problem. Keep them, PIF them or whatever.

The only thing I ask is that volunteers are familiar enough with real Gillette Techs, of whatever vintage/type, that you have a good baseline with which to compare.

If you are interested, please send me a PM and we'll go from there. :)

It's not easy to find a tech-clone for a good price in Sweden ☹️
If I would buy a cheap Chinese razor off of eBay from USA or Asia I have to pay an additional 7:50€ VAT and a penalty charge to the customs for buying from outside EU.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It's not easy to find a tech-clone for a good price in Sweden ☹
If I would buy a cheap Chinese razor off of eBay from USA or Asia I have to pay an additional 7:50€ VAT and a penalty charge to the customs for buying from outside EU.
I'll be checking shipping to Sweden on Monday.

Let's see if we can get the B&B Swedish contingent into the review. :)

Got this Q-shave tech clone on Amazon a few weeks back for $6...
Just wanted to try out a "tech" on the cheap. I found it to be more aggressive than the majority of my various Bailis and even my Merkur 34C. I was particularly interested in the tabs on the top cap / baseplate that fit into the grooves in blades in a way I had not previously seen (although I've only been DE shaving for just over a year now).
61f-pWylq4L._SL1200_.jpg
71ZLZxutXZL._SL1200_.jpg
61jRT0rqs0L._SL1200_.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Got this Q-shave tech clone on Amazon a few weeks back for $6...
Just wanted to try out a "tech" on the cheap. I found it to be more aggressive than the majority of my various Bailis and even my Merkur 34C. I was particularly interested in the tabs on the top cap / baseplate that fit into the grooves in blades in a way I had not previously seen (although I've only been DE shaving for just over a year now).View attachment 1023165View attachment 1023166View attachment 1023167
That's a very interesting clone.

How did you like the more aggressive shave?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Clones are beginning to arrive. :)

The following razors are here:

BLACK TIGER STEEL 3-Piece Double Edge Classic Safety Shaving Razor

Yuma Old Fashioned Double Edge Safety Razor

Vintage Useful Durable Men's Manual Hand Safety Razor Double Edge Shaver

Maggard V3M

The RazoRock DE-1, RazoRock Teck II and the rest of the clones are in route.

I have two Tech savvy B&B Members who have volunteered to receive a couple of clones, shave with them and report their findings on this thread.

I'll post updates on this thread. :)

Good luck. Looking forward to the reviews. We appreciate test pilots who take all the risk so we can relax and read about it ;-)

This has already been done so to speak for those who would peruse the archives. Almost all of these "clones" are Rimei or Baili as the old Lord Tech clone has been dropped for their Merkur clone. The Lord shaved closer than a real Tech and the Rimei QC is atrocious. The Baili three piece is the best of the lot. I used their 176 today.

I ordered a black tiger based on your review and the couple reviews on YouTube. Like the idea of a good tech clone for travel.

This has already been done so to speak for those who would peruse the archives. Almost all of these "clones" are Rimei or Baili as the old Lord Tech clone has been dropped for their Merkur clone. The Lord shaved closer than a real Tech and the Rimei QC is atrocious. The Baili three piece is the best of the lot. I used their 176 today.

I am guessing the RazoRock Teck is a Baili head?

Top Bottom