What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

Unless I’m mistaken, the Van Der Hagen from Target and WM is a Baili too. I have one I plan to gift to a friend who wants to try DE shaving.

Oh,This may be my mistake.
But,also Connaught says,this is "DE2" RazoRock Safety Razors - https://connaughtshaving.com/rrrazors.html
Razorock sells a DE1 and a Teck II, very similar razors with different handles.

Here is the Italian Barber website page for it:

Also the Razorock website page for it:

I have been lurking here for a while, and kind of agree with someone who posted earlier that with all the used Tech razors so plentiful, and inexpensive, why buy a clone?

My first Gillette was a new old stock Travel, which in spite of the short handle gave a good shave. Good enough that I figured it would be even better with a full length handle, and I found a nice example on Ebay for a whopping $10.00 including the original box. When it arrived I gave it a quick cleaning with Dawn detergent, and was thrilled to find a perfect chrome finish with zero scratches or corrosion.

My Tech has parallel slots and no date codes indicating it was built between 1947 & 1950. The original owner probably used it for a short time, put it back in the box and forgot about it.

This morning I loaded a Gillette 7 o'clock blade from India that came in a sample package, and did my first shave with the new Tech, which shaved as well as any other razor or blade combination I have used.

The Tech has a nice weight, neither too light or too heavy, a handle that doesn't slip in wet hands, and a head small enough to easily maneuver under the nose. Overall what more do you need in a razor or blade?
IMG_20200908_090124.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200908090213364_COVER.jpg

IMG_20200908_090258.jpg
IMG_20200908_090319.jpg
IMG_20200908_090323.jpg
PXL_20200909_004906421.jpg

I have been lurking here for a while, and kind of agree with someone who posted earlier that with all the used Tech razors so plentiful, and inexpensive, why buy a clone?

My first Gillette was a new old stock Travel, which in spite of the short handle gave a good shave. Good enough that I figured it would be even better with a full length handle, and I found a nice example on Ebay for a whopping $10.00 including the original box. When it arrived I gave it a quick cleaning with Dawn detergent, and was thrilled to find a perfect chrome finish with zero scratches or corrosion.

My Tech has parallel slots and no date codes indicating it was built between 1947 & 1950. The original owner probably used it for a short time, put it back in the box and forgot about it.

This morning I loaded a Gillette 7 o'clock blade from India that came in a sample package, and did my first shave with the new Tech, which shaved as well as any other razor or blade combination I have used.

The Tech has a nice weight, neither too light or too heavy, a handle that doesn't slip in wet hands, and a head small enough to easily maneuver under the nose. Overall what more do you need in a razor or blade?
View attachment 1152572View attachment 1152573
View attachment 1152574View attachment 1152575View attachment 1152576View attachment 1152577
I have the same razor (1952 IIRC) and it is excellent. Didn’t pay more than $10 for it earlier this summer at an antique shop and it is in great shape.

Shaves better than my New-ish $15 Wilkinson Sword or $20 Weishi for sure.

Of course, the Baili Victor/BR171 will be a well-known quantity to thread dwellers, however and FWIW, I have posted my out-of-the-box impressions on the Baili BR171 and on-paper comparison with the Boker Low Profile, a razor that I had been considering.

It appears that there are a zillion Gellette Tech razors for sale on Ebay that can be purchased for little money. The heads seem to be the same as the regular Gillette Techs so instead of buying a clone, why not put a decent handle on one of these, and have a great razor?

I've seen claims that the age of cheap, vintage Gillettes might be possibly over, or close.

For sure, I couldn't see a plethora of cheap Gillettes in good condition on eBay this side of the pond; the ones in a decent state are undoubtedly more expensive than a Chinese copy, sometimes a lot more.

Even when money is no object, there are other reasons which might lead someone to favor a new razor, those have already been discussed amply in many threads, though.

BTW the Black Tiger discussed in the first half of the thread, appears to be the same razor as the Roman Empire Shaving Augustus, both may be made by QShave:

Black Tiger is currently in stock at Burlington Coat Factory also. It’s branded under a different name but it’s definitely the “Black Tiger”

For those who think all the good deals on vintage Gillette Tech, and other razors are gone, have a look at my latest accusation, which just arrived in the mail today.

Having recently picked up an almost mint Tech in the original box off Ebay and really liking it, I wondered how I would like the same razor with a fat handle. I guess I lucked out again finding a nice gold plated fat handle Tech with very good plating on an Ebay make offer listing. It ended up costing me $7.00 plus a little shipping.

A little brushing with Dawn soap and the gold plating really sparkled. Like my other Tech, this was from the post war 40s with oval slots and no date codes.

I repeat….with deals like this why spend money on a clone?
PXL_20201123_222458399.jpg
PXL_20201123_222510007.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20201123_222458399.jpg
    PXL_20201123_222458399.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20201123_222510007.jpg
    PXL_20201123_222510007.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
For those who think all the good deals on vintage Gillette Tech, and other razors are gone, have a look at my latest accusation, which just arrived in the mail today.

Having recently picked up an almost mint Tech in the original box off Ebay and really liking it, I wondered how I would like the same razor with a fat handle. I guess I lucked out again finding a nice gold plated fat handle Tech with very good plating on an Ebay make offer listing. It ended up costing me $7.00 plus a little shipping.

A little brushing with Dawn soap and the gold plating really sparkled. Like my other Tech, this was from the post war 40s with oval slots and no date codes.

I repeat….with deals like this why spend money on a clone? View attachment 1186204View attachment 1186205
For fun thats why lol. I proly prefer the triangle slot but I really like both. And the fat handle is just perfect to me.

with deals like this why spend money on a clone?

In a parallel universe, an alternate version of dcuttler submitted a post in the "Gillette Tech Mecca" thread, bragging about the new Baili he scored for $10 with free shipping and free, no questions asked, returns.

As he intones "And I repeat... why bother combing eBay for weeks, looking for the one reasonably priced Tech that doesn't look like a dog chewed it, and then vomited on it...", he gets boo'ed away from vintage fans who were happy talking about their Gillettes, without bothering anyone.

;)

...seriously, though:

I ran an eBay search yesterday, the few razors under 50-60 Euros looked like junk, the others I hope might be in better shape, but I don't know for sure, for I didn't pay close enough attention.

That's not equivalent to "there will never be another good deal on a Tech ever again". Finding one that looks OK and isn't priced for collectors might take more work and time, than ordering a perfect, shiny new razor from Amazon, though.

For those meaning to recommend a Tech to newbs looking to buy their first razor, as well as others interested in dipping their toes without paying collector prices or waiting a long time, it is useful to know that there are alternatives, what they are, and how they shave.

Last edited:
Most of the folks that list these on ebay are generally not great photographers. I studied the photos and in both cases the razors I purchased when cleaned ended up looking way better than the listing photos. Also if you buy it cheap enough, and you do get a dog, you will not be out much.

I purchsed the gold plated Tech thinking if the head was crappy it was worth it just for the handle.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The pre-1960 Techs are my favorites. I have several that were not much to look at when I got them but they cleaned up pretty darn good and shave great.

The Tech is one of the best razors out there, in my opinion, to get consistent, excellent shaves without nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Think I'll break out the English Hybrid Tech for Tech Tuesday. 😎

YMMV

Top Bottom