What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

The original was steel. The magnet does not lie. ;)

That's why I stated that my comments apply only to the original Black Tiger. I do not know how the revised version shaves.

YMMV.....
OK, the BIG Day is here - my Black Tiger delivered today. Immediately after unpacking it, I ran over to the fridge to check it with a magnet. The handle and bottom plate are steel, but the cap isn't magnetic - not even the screw - just more Chinese BS and deception.

It looks to be finished with a dark tinted lacquer. I wonder if it's chrome underneath?

The Shave:
Left Side: 1st pass with brand new Astra SP was the most audible I've ever used. 2nd pass was enough for an acceptable shave, but I had a bowl full of suds to use, so did a 3rd. Got 2 weepers along the way, something never experienced with a real Tech.
Right Side: YingJili with same Astra SP & used a Baili handle to simulate heavier weight of the Black Tiger handle. JingJili was quieter, smoother and closer shave after 2 passes. 3rd pass got me an honest 12 hour shave.
Lucky Tiger Soap for both sides.

The YingJili was the hands down better razor, with the smoother and closer shave without weepers or irritation. If the Black Tiger disappeared tomorrow, I'd not miss it, but I will try it again later with different blades & maybe a lighter handle (shortened YingJili handle).

For the price of the Black Tiger, I could get several YingJilis. For handouts to friends not certain if they want to get into double edge wet shaving, the YingJili would give them a positive performance; the Black Tiger would be a deterrant.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
OK, the BIG Day is here - my Black Tiger delivered today. Immediately after unpacking it, I ran over to the fridge to check it with a magnet. The handle and bottom plate are steel, but the cap isn't magnetic - not even the screw - just more Chinese BS and deception.

It looks to be finished with a dark tinted lacquer. I wonder if it's chrome underneath?

The Shave:
Left Side: 1st pass with brand new Astra SP was the most audible I've ever used. 2nd pass was enough for an acceptable shave, but I had a bowl full of suds to use, so did a 3rd. Got 2 weepers along the way, something never experienced with a real Tech.
Right Side: YingJili with same Astra SP & used a Baili handle to simulate heavier weight of the Black Tiger handle. JingJili was quieter, smoother and closer shave after 2 passes. 3rd pass got me an honest 12 hour shave.
Lucky Tiger Soap for both sides.

The YingJili was the hands down better razor, with the smoother and closer shave without weepers or irritation. If the Black Tiger disappeared tomorrow, I'd not miss it, but I will try it again later with different blades & maybe a lighter handle (shortened YingJili handle).

For the price of the Black Tiger, I could get several YingJilis. For handouts to friends not certain if they want to get into double edge wet shaving, the YingJili would give them a positive performance; the Black Tiger would be a deterrant.
This, my friend, is why it is so important for folks to try different razors, with different blades, for themselves.

My results (as noted earlier in this thread) were very different from your results - and that's okay. Faces are different, beards are different, techniques are different.

I appreciate your comments and input. :)

This, my friend, is why it is so important for folks to try different razors, with different blades, for themselves.

My results (as noted earlier in this thread) were very different from your results - and that's okay. Faces are different, beards are different, techniques are different.

I appreciate your comments and input. :)
Of course, you mentioned that you have the Original, all steel version. Odds are yours is as good as you say & the revised (mine without steel cap) is the ringer.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Of course, you mentioned that you have the Original, all steel version. Odds are yours is as good as you say & the revised (mine without steel cap) is the ringer.

It could be that we bring different benefits and issues out in the same razor due to subtle differences in beard consistency, beard growing patterns, technique, expectations, blades, soap, prep, water, etc., etc., etc.

That's the thing with wet shaving - there are soooooo many variables.

I have a Southern Italian beard that grows in a myriad of directions. Really a bear to get a consistent feel. I've taken to partitioning off smaller areas on my neck, jawline, under my jaw, around the corners of my mouth and under my nose and using the direction and angle that the smaller area needs. The direction of beard growth can change dramatically in a very small distance.

Here is my shave with the YingJili:

Shave 20191013

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Yaqi Cashmere Synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Razor: YingJili Classic Double Edge Manual Razor (Tech Clone), MR11 Handle
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (2)
Post-shave1: Crystal Alum Stick
Post-shave2: Thayers Witch Hazel w/Aloe
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe
Aftershave: Pitralon Classic

WTG, XTG, selected ATG, plus buffing and touch--up. Still could not get close enough on my neck and chin.

Kind of a CCS. One nick, one weeper. Moderate irritation.

Not horrible, just kind of 'meh'.

Not bad, though, for a couple of bucks.

7.5/10

I am more than willing to have another shave with the YingJili to see if my more recent discoveries might help me improve on how it shaves my face. :)

Fair enough?

Just my opinions and YMMV. :)

OK, it' not really a clone, since it's branded as a Gillette, unlike the Heritage. It does bear a striking resemblance (identical) to the Ying Jili
Gillette JingJili.jpg

I received my Black Tiger today. Handle and plate magnetic, cap is not. I like the antique looking black finish. Will load a fresh Isralie Red in it tomorrow and give it a whirl.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I received my Black Tiger today. Handle and plate magnetic, cap is not. I like the antique looking black finish. Will load a fresh Isralie Red in it tomorrow and give it a whirl.

I'll have to double check my Black Tiger cap with a magnet.

I noticed on the black tiger box it says "a portion of your purchase goes to Starlight Children's Foundation" so that's cool I guess.

To make a fair comparison between the Prewar Gillette US Fat Handle triangular slot tech, I shaved with the tech until the shaves were consistently DFS+ or DFS++ without issues or irritation. At least 6 consecutive pleasant shaves were done.

Using the same techniques used on the tech, I started the comparison with the RazoRock DE1.

Here is the last shave with the RazoRock DE1.

RazoRock DE1 + Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Hot shower
Proraso Green Preshave
RazoRock Monster Plissoft Synthetic brush
Proraso Green Shave Cream
3 passes + touch ups to DFS
Mild alum sting on the trouble spots
No Witch Hazel sting. Cotton ball was dragging and was not lily white.
The shave was not as close and the shave combo felt harsh.

In comparison to the Prewar Gillette US Fat Handle triangular Tech using the Rapira Platinum Lux blade, the same prep and lather, the tech shaves closer and with less irritation.

YMMV on the shave quality with the RazoRock DE1.

I am thinking the geometry of the DE1 differs from the tech. Therefore, it is a clone with differences.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
To make a fair comparison between the Prewar Gillette US Fat Handle triangular slot tech, I shaved with the tech until the shaves were consistently DFS+ or DFS++ without issues or irritation. At least 6 consecutive pleasant shaves were done.

Using the same techniques used on the tech, I started the comparison with the RazoRock DE1.

Here is the last shave with the RazoRock DE1.

RazoRock DE1 + Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Hot shower
Proraso Green Preshave
RazoRock Monster Plissoft Synthetic brush
Proraso Green Shave Cream
3 passes + touch ups to DFS
Mild alum sting on the trouble spots
No Witch Hazel sting. Cotton ball was dragging and was not lily white.
The shave was not as close and the shave combo felt harsh.

In comparison to the Prewar Gillette US Fat Handle triangular Tech using the Rapira Platinum Lux blade, the same prep and lather, the tech shaves closer and with less irritation.

YMMV on the shave quality with the RazoRock DE1.

I am thinking the geometry of the DE1 differs from the tech. Therefore, it is a clone with differences.

My experience with the Pre-war Tech and the Baili 171/172 clones mirrors yours.

The are physical differences between the base plates which could account for what was felt while shaving.

This doesn't mean that the Baili 171/172 based shavers are horrible razors - on the contrary, they are capable of decent results for a very reasonable price.

To me, though, the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s Gillette Techs are much better razors and are still available for very reasonable prices.

YMMV

I got one of these Star DE's in what looked like unused condition a couple months ago. Now that I've had a chance to try it side by side with a pre-war Tech, I'd say the Star is slightly milder, and slightly smoother. It's a near-perfect razor for a beginner. I still haven't achieved a BBS shave with it but a comfortable DFS with no irritation is practically guaranteed.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I got one of these Star DE's in what looked like unused condition a couple months ago. Now that I've had a chance to try it side by side with a pre-war Tech, I'd say the Star is slightly milder, and slightly smoother. It's a near-perfect razor for a beginner. I still haven't achieved a BBS shave with it but a comfortable DFS with no irritation is practically guaranteed.
The early Star razors are made out of brass and are very, very good razors.

You have an excellent razor!

My experience with the Pre-war Tech and the Baili 171/172 clones mirrors yours.

The are physical differences between the base plates which could account for what was felt while shaving.

This doesn't mean that the Baili 171/172 based shavers are horrible razors - on the contrary, they are capable of decent results for a very reasonable price.

To me, though, the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s Gillette Techs are much better razors and are still available for very reasonable prices.

YMMV
Agreed. With respect to Gillette Tech razors, I can only speak to the one I currently have.

If this keeps up however, it may have a sibling to keep it company!!!😉

Shave report on the black tiger

Williams soap
Boar brush
Fresh Personna Israeli Red
Nivea post shave balm

First pass wtg was smooth and did a good job of removing stubble. Second pass xtg was smooth as well. It was the atg pass where things feel apart. The atg pass was not as smooth and not comfortable on my chin line. With some buffing I ended up with a decent dfs, no nicks or irritation. I found the tiger similar to the Baili 171 shave wise but similar to the 131 looks wise (with some very subtle differences). I bought 3 tigers, 1 for me and 2 for stocking stuffers. All 3 have handles that are difficult to screw on without cross threading but with some attention the screw on just fine. As others have said, it seems like they only take a few turns to screw on. With only 1 shave, its too early to pass any judgement. I think with more use the tiger has some potential but the 131 made a much better first impression.

Top Bottom