What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

That is so great!

You know you're in the 'Tech Zone' when you have such a great shaving experience. :)

YMMV
This evening my 18 year old son wanted to try my old English Ball End Tech again.
He has tried it before with decent results, but this time it was 100%.
I had to explain to him how important it is to find the right angle and not to pull the razor too many times in the same place, but to take "the leftovers" during the next pass.
We paired the Tech with an Astra SS blade and lathered up with Arko Cool shaving cream.
He did three passes, WTG XTG and ATG, and got a real DFS.
He was really happy with the shave and intends to stop using cartridges from now on.
I can also mention that my son inherited his old father's rough beard and with my old Tech there was no razor burn or irritation at all, just a small nick on his neck.

I think my son was in the "Tech Zone" tonight and I don't know if my Ball End Tech is mine anymore, or if it now belongs to my son ;)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This evening my 18 year old son wanted to try my old English Ball End Tech again.
He has tried it before with decent results, but this time it was 100%.
I had to explain to him how important it is to find the right angle and not to pull the razor too many times in the same place, but to take "the leftovers" during the next pass.
We paired the Tech with an Astra SS blade and lathered up with Arko Cool shaving cream.
He did three passes, WTG XTG and ATG, and got a real DFS.
He was really happy with the shave and intends to stop using cartridges from now on.
I can also mention that my son inherited his old father's rough beard and with my old Tech there was no razor burn or irritation at all, just a small nick on his neck.

I think my son was in the "Tech Zone" tonight and I don't know if my Ball End Tech is mine anymore, or if it now belongs to my son ;)

What a wonderful story. :)

Father/Son moments like this are to be treasured.

This discussion has been great!
I have learned a lot. Thanks!
I’ve started looking for an original Tech.
If you can find a good Triangle Slot Tech pick it up! I got a great one here on the BTS. I also got an oval slot with some other razors from Ebay and it is also a great razor.

Been awhile since I posted in this thread. Been doing some hypermiling with a Bic Chrome Platinum and today was the 11th shave with the blade and I have been using a Gillette triangle slot Fat Handle Tech. It is working quite well. I might give a comparison shave to this razor, or my oval slot razor and the clones I have in the near future. Since I have a ton of MenSmell Blades I will probably use those for the comparison shaves and then I will pit different clones and originals against one another. Here is what I think I can use for these comparisons:

Clones:
Black Tiger
Baili BT-131
MenSmell Vintage
Maggard V3M
Global Shave Sumatra

Originals:
Triangle Fat Handle Tech
Oval Ball End Tech

I believe I have compared the Black Tiger and the Sumatra already, so I guess for now clone v. clone? Any suggestions/requests?
So, how are those Smelly Men blades? When I ordered my razor, I upgraded & got the Parker Platinums.

So, how are those Smelly Men blades? When I ordered my razor, I upgraded & got the Parker Platinums.
They aren't bad for me. I am going to use them, but I will be doing some more experimenting with them. When I ordered the upgraded blade option didn't exist yet.

Just receive a fresh load of Israeli Reds. Will be interesting to see how they perform in the Techs and clones. Still waiting for the Black Tiger to arrive.

I have tried damn near every type Tech, except for the rare "Hybrid" and the rarer Tech OC. My conclusion years ago was/is that the "ball end" Tech heavy model from the 50's - 60's is the best daily shaver of the lot. That extra "pinch" of blade rigidity just nudges out the earlier pre-war for smoothness. I can get an effortless DFS in two simple passes and BBS if I go ATG, which I rarely do.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
This evening my 18 year old son wanted to try my old English Ball End Tech ...

... I think my son was in the "Tech Zone" tonight and I don't know if my Ball End Tech is mine anymore, or if it now belongs to my son ;)

Great story! My son is also 18 and a Tech shaver. Started him off with a Tech without a blade when he was about 8 or 9. That's how (and when) my grandfather taught me as a young lad. When he turned 17, I gave him a late 40s oval slot Tech on stainless handle, a pack of Astras, a tub of Don Marco, a Green Ray brush, and a bottle of Lucky Tiger. He has been using that setup for more than a year now, and has not looked back. He has never used a cart or an electric... ever. I'm happy he is embracing the wet shaving.

Great story! My son is also 18 and a Tech shaver. Started him off with a Tech without a blade when he was about 8 or 9. That's how (and when) my grandfather taught me as a young lad. When he turned 17, I gave him a late 40s oval slot Tech on stainless handle, a pack of Astras, a tub of Don Marco, a Green Ray brush, and a bottle of Lucky Tiger. He has been using that setup for more than a year now, and has not looked back. He has never used a cart or an electric... ever. I'm happy he is embracing the wet shaving.
Really nice to hear 😊
I guess we both have done something right and qualifies as good fathers 😉

I don't know that I would consider it a Tech Clone, but it provides a 'Tech-like' shave.

The RR GC .68 SB is one of my favorite new razors. :)

Agreed. I ordered a second Game Changer 0.68; that's the only modern razor that I have a duplicate of. That's how nice of a mild razor it is.

Having said that, I also really like my Techs (flat bottom, pre- and post- war, Baili clone).

Great legacy stories about passing down
Just receive a fresh load of Israeli Reds. Will be interesting to see how they perform in the Techs and clones. Still waiting for the Black Tiger to arrive.
Got a 5 pack of Israeli Reds at the 99¢ Store. Haven't gotten around to trying them out yet.

Ok fellow Tech users, would you consider the Game Changers .68 a Tech clone?
The Game Changer 0.68 geometry differs from the Techs. The safety bar is smooth. Slightly positive exposure. Blade tabs fully enclosed.

I agree the GC 0.68 produces a Tech like shave. I like mine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom