What's new

The Tech Clone Wars

My Yingjili seems to be a decent, mild shaver and it holds the blade rigidly. I got a few from China for 2 bucks each. It does seem to have more blade exposure than most Tech's I have in my collection. But I haven't directly compared them.
I've got several Ying Jili's as giveaways & don't see any perceptible difference between them and any of my Post War Techs. While I like the longer handle, I'm considering cutting one down to emulate my Tech Bakelite & Plastic handles.

Thanks. I was referring to the pics on the GSC web site, sorry I was not clear. So yours do not have a shiny finish? Are they that much different than the Baili 131? Looks like the new Black Tiger has a new higher price.
I was able to finally place an orger at GSC for a Black Tiger. Big, super-duper sale at $.01. Of Course, shipping was $7.50. Not very original to load product cost onto the shipping. I'd been unable to place orders at GSC using Firefox, but was able to using Microsoft Edge. Their unimpressive website is annying with the incessant pop-up to get their news letter & not all of their razors display without digging around. Hopefully the Black Tiger will be all that GSC itself isn't.

I was able to finally place an orger at GSC for a Black Tiger. Big, super-duper sale at $.01. Of Course, shipping was $7.50. Not very original to load product cost onto the shipping. I'd been unable to place orders at GSC using Firefox, but was able to using Microsoft Edge. Their unimpressive website is annying with the incessant pop-up to get their news letter & not all of their razors display without digging around. Hopefully the Black Tiger will be all that GSC itself isn't.

When I check the price is $12 + shipping. I would be in for $7.50 but not at $19.

I found it. Ordered 1 for me and 2 as stocking stuffers. Thanks

Here are the Techs and clones I have been using
FullSizeR.jpg
FullSizeR.jpg
From left
WWII triangle slot contract
Pre war
Post war
56' Tech
Silver Star
Baili 131 with RE replica handle
Baili 171

When I check the price is $12 + shipping. I would be in for $7.50 but not at $19.
Check here - the sale is still on:
From their website:
Shaving Characteristics:
Construction: 100% zink alloy. Electroplated with a unique antique finish.
Weight and handle length: 2.25 ounces, 3.25 inches.
Type: 3-piece DE safety razor.
Aggressiveness (1 - 5): 2,25 / 5 with excellent efficiency! (For reference we consider a Merkur 34C to be 3 / 5)
Suitable for: Established wet shavers. New wet shavers. Great for travel. Makes an excellent first razor.
Warranty: Lifetime warranty covers this product against defects in materials or workmanship. This warranty is extended to the original owner only and excludes normal use and wear or misuse.
Returns: Within 10 days from the date of receipt. Buyer pays for return postage.
MSRP: $ 7.50

That "all steel construction" is apparently just marketing Bull$h!t, since the website description above clearly indicates: "100% zinc alloy".

Despite all that, I'm looking forward to the first Black Tiger shave, confident it will be as good as everyone mentions.

From their website:
Shaving Characteristics:
Aggressiveness (1 - 5): 2,25 / 5 with excellent efficiency! (For reference we consider a Merkur 34C to be 3 / 5)
Suitable for: Established wet shavers. New wet shavers. Great for travel. Makes an excellent first razor.
Warranty: Lifetime warranty covers this product against defects in materials or workmanship. This warranty is extended to the original owner only and excludes normal use and wear or misuse.
Returns: Within 10 days from the date of receipt. Buyer pays for return postage.

That "all steel construction" is apparently just marketing Bull$h!t, since the website description above clearly indicates: "100% zinc alloy".

Despite all that, I'm looking forward to the first Black Tiger shave, confident it will be as good as everyone mentions.

Thanks. I was able to order 3 of them. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the Baili 131. Can't wait to see the "antique black finish".

I neglected to post a pic of the LORD L122 I tried. The base plate is identical to the Baili 131 but made from plastic. It was very light. This razor felt and sounded like a disposable. It was fun to try but not great fun. I tried the Lord cap with the 131 plate and handle. That combo worked great. The supplied Lord blade was ok but not great.1201191957.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
From their website:
Shaving Characteristics:

The original was steel. The magnet does not lie. ;)

That's why I stated that my comments apply only to the original Black Tiger. I do not know how the revised version shaves.

YMMV.....

Just stumbled upon a Razo Rock Teck II deal: aftershave leaked into wholesal packaging to store, but razor is as new. $5.99 + shipping.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just stumbled upon a Razo Rock Teck II deal: aftershave leaked into wholesal packaging to store, but razor is as new. $5.99 + shipping.

Decent shaving razor. Same head as the RR DE-1, Maggard V3M, Baili BR171 and BR172.

I have reached a point that I have to try things out.

This prewar Tech did a great job this morning following @never-stop-learning advice. Thanks.

Gillette US Prewar Fat Handle triangle Tech + Rapira Platinum Lux (2)
Hot shower
Proraso Green Preshave
RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic brush
Proraso Green Shaving Cream
4 passes + touch ups to DFS++
No issues or irritation.
Finished with Proraso Blue ASB
Very close, smooth and pleasant shave
Rating: 9.5/10

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have reached a point that I have to try things out.

This prewar Tech did a great job this morning following @never-stop-learning advice. Thanks.

Gillette US Prewar Fat Handle triangle Tech + Rapira Platinum Lux (2)
Hot shower
Proraso Green Preshave
RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic brush
Proraso Green Shaving Cream
4 passes + touch ups to DFS++
No issues or irritation.
Finished with Proraso Blue ASB
Very close, smooth and pleasant shave
Rating: 9.5/10

You are most welcome! :)

Very glad that you had such a wonderful shave. :)

I don't know if there are any Tech-clones that can match a real Tech.
Yesterday evening I had a wonderful shave with my English Fat Handle Tech paired with an Astra SS blade.

First a warm shower with a genuine Alleppo soap
Proraso Red Pre-shave
Proraso Red soap
My old Muhle boar brush
Fat Handle Tech Clone, Astra SS
Proraso Sandalwood After Shave

And for head shave it was the usual Lady Gillette, this time paired with a Lord Platinum blade.

I took my time and thought of it as some kind of Mindfulness, three passes + touch up on my face and three passes + touch up on my skull and about an hour later I was done.
No weepers, no nicks and totally free from irritation.

Been awhile since I posted in this thread. Been doing some hypermiling with a Bic Chrome Platinum and today was the 11th shave with the blade and I have been using a Gillette triangle slot Fat Handle Tech. It is working quite well. I might give a comparison shave to this razor, or my oval slot razor and the clones I have in the near future. Since I have a ton of MenSmell Blades I will probably use those for the comparison shaves and then I will pit different clones and originals against one another. Here is what I think I can use for these comparisons:

Clones:
Black Tiger
Baili BT-131
MenSmell Vintage
Maggard V3M
Global Shave Sumatra

Originals:
Triangle Fat Handle Tech
Oval Ball End Tech

I believe I have compared the Black Tiger and the Sumatra already, so I guess for now clone v. clone? Any suggestions/requests?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if there are any Tech-clones that can match a real Tech.
Yesterday evening I had a wonderful shave with my English Fat Handle Tech paired with an Astra SS blade.

First a warm shower with a genuine Alleppo soap
Proraso Red Pre-shave
Proraso Red soap
My old Muhle boar brush
Fat Handle Tech Clone, Astra SS
Proraso Sandalwood After Shave

And for head shave it was the usual Lady Gillette, this time paired with a Lord Platinum blade.

I took my time and thought of it as some kind of Mindfulness, three passes + touch up on my face and three passes + touch up on my skull and about an hour later I was done.
No weepers, no nicks and totally free from irritation.

That is so great!

You know you're in the 'Tech Zone' when you have such a great shaving experience. :)

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Been awhile since I posted in this thread. Been doing some hypermiling with a Bic Chrome Platinum and today was the 11th shave with the blade and I have been using a Gillette triangle slot Fat Handle Tech. It is working quite well. I might give a comparison shave to this razor, or my oval slot razor and the clones I have in the near future. Since I have a ton of MenSmell Blades I will probably use those for the comparison shaves and then I will pit different clones and originals against one another. Here is what I think I can use for these comparisons:

Clones:
Black Tiger
Baili BT-131
MenSmell Vintage
Maggard V3M
Global Shave Sumatra

Originals:
Triangle Fat Handle Tech
Oval Ball End Tech

I believe I have compared the Black Tiger and the Sumatra already, so I guess for now clone v. clone? Any suggestions/requests?
I think you've got things pretty well covered. :)

Top Bottom