What's new

The Synthetic Shaving Brush Society

Greetings from Mendel & Gilligan!

We would like to introduce yet another unofficial B & B club...The Synthetic Shaving Brush Society. And now, here's a look at our four synthetic shaving brushes:

proxy.php

In addition, here's a recent photo of Gilligan wearing his parka as we ventured out into the Arctic blast to get our mail...the Edwin Jagger synthetic brush had arrived.

proxy.php

Last edited:
the things they have to put up with to make their humans happy.

If an expression could have words "really?" would be Gilligan's in that pic

Shame on you exploiting that sweet little Gilligan! :001_smile
My little girl Bay and I feel so bad for her.
My wife and I found her at a local shelter just before Christmas.

$photo(1).JPG

I've been getting to know this Muhle Black Fibre that Santa brought.

$photo.jpg

Gilligan and Bay both look like sweethearts. Dogs always want to please their master.
Here is a picture of my favorite Synthetic brushes. The last one is a boar.

$Shaving Brushes.jpg

Jack Black, Muhle, and H.I.S.

I confess to liking my boars more than my synthetic, but my Muhle silvertip fiber in olivewood is a nice brush, and great for travel or for when I am so sleepy in the morning that I forget to soak my boar.

It's about time somebody made a club like this!

My little Kent Infinity Silvertex does everything I need a brush to do. I have an HJM Black Fibre too, which is also a great brush. But the Kent is my favorite. It's like a really good boar (lots of backbone, very soft tips) without the funk.

And give Gilligan a treat for braving the cold.

$WP_20131231_002.jpg

My primary brush is a Muhle 33K 256 STFv2. It's just plain awesome. Gilligan has grown! I remember when you posted his puppy pictures. I don't dress up my Sheltie, but daughter's pug seems to have more clothes than I do.

Our good friend Rudy Vey, made this one for me. It's got a Mühle STF V2 knot in it. I also have a Mühle 35 K 252 on the way and will post pictures when it arrives.

Hey I'm there.

Muhle V 2.0 Turnback
Omega 346235
Omega Hi Brush (with the cool rainbow laminate handle)
Grandpa's Ever Ready N600 (not in rotation)

All fine brushes.

Have you determined anything new relative to these two brushes as you asked in this post. I keep looking at the Muhle STF and keep thinking there will most likely be one in my future.
Those Mühles are really nice. I'm currently waiting for two (I wanted to see the differences between the black and silver tip) of them to come in.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,663
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,661
Last edited:
Those Mühles are really nice. I'm currently waiting for two (I wanted to see the differences between the black and silver tip) of them to come in.

That's a good point. For those of you that own both the Muhle Synthetic Silvertip Fibers and the Muhle Synthetic Black Fibers, what do you find to be the difference?

Have you determined anything new relative to these two brushes as you asked in this post. I keep looking at the Muhle STF and keep thinking there will most likely be one in my future.

As regards the change in the way the brush feels. After using the STF a few more times, I can definitely say the brush has changed. It feels a little scratchy or pokey when its wet and lathered up. It seems that the 6 or so months of almost daily use as somehow stressed the fibres, perhaps like a well used tooth brush. Comparing the brush visually with pics I took of it when it was new, it looks exactly the same, but it really does feel different. It's not very pleasant for me us use anymore.

I contacted Phil at Bullgoose, and he contacted the US rep for Muhle on my behalf. He said there was nothing Muhle would do about it. Any beef I have over this doesn't reflect on Bullgoose at all. Phil provided excellent customer service. The onus is on Muhle. I've since sent a polite email to Muhle directly. I'm awaiting a response from them.

I know of no-one else who's encountered the same issue as I have with their STF, so maybe I have a bad one.

Last edited:
That's a good point. For those of you that own both the Muhle Synthetic Silvertip Fibers and the Muhle Synthetic Black Fibers, what do you find to be the difference?

The Black Fibre is very soft, it splays really easily, and it feels very plush on the face when its full of lather. I really like it. I can face or bowl lather with that brush no problem, but it doesn't have the backbone of the STF. I've never minded floppier brushes though.

The STF has much more backbone and takes some pressure to get it to splay. When mine was newer, it nicely massaged my face during face lathering, but, as I've said before, it's gotten a bit pokey. Nothing like the scritch one would get from a pure badger brush, but unpleasant for me nonetheless. Those who like a little scritch might enjoy the way my STF feels now.

Top Bottom