What's new

The Swampfox Blade Report

I report, you don't get flayed.

Anyhow, for the last two months, I have been searching for a better blade. With hopes that there is possibly some DE blade out there that is better than anything that I have yet to use, I plunged headlong into a series of blade tests. Some turned out great, some good, and some very bad.

Most of the blades I have been trying out are standards of wetshaving enthusiasts, that for whatever reason, I never have got around to trying. I have been mostly using Sharks, and Green Gillettes for my DEs since beginning to DE shave in August 2009. After discovering Injectors and SEs, I decided it was time to hunt for a better DE blade.

Now, for my tests of these blades, I used 5 select razors - My 3 piece open comb old type knockoff, Red Tip, Krona, Slim Adjustable, and a Blue Lady Gillette. Occasionally, I would use another razor, but these are the 5 main ones. Through the course of this journey, I have discovered that if a blade does not work well for me in my Red Tip, then odds are it will not be good for me at all. This was not always the case, but it held true nearly every time.

Here are the blades that I tried, and my thoughts on each.

Feathers (Yellow) - great! These worked really well in most of my razors, but very well in the Knockoff and the Red Tip.

Red Personna - I could not as for a smoother, more error-free shave than what these blades offered me! They work well in every razor I own, and I cannot ask more than that. While not quite as sharp as the Feathers, they were just super smooth.

Green Astra (platinum) - not bad, but they just didn't really work that well for me. Nicks and burns, while not severe, ruled each shave in each razor.

Blue Astra (stainless) - Very good! In all the razors, these performed very well. Not quite as good as the Personna blades, but worth buying more of.

Treet Classic - awful! I'd rather be tortured by someone with cold hands!

Trig Stainless - These blades made the Treet blades feel good.

SuperMax Platinum - these performed very well for me - smooth and almost always nick and burn free as long as I didn't do something stupid. These also will be worth buying more.

Bic - not bad, but not as good as the top performers.

Bottom line: I will buy more of the Personnas, Blue Astra, SuperMax and Feather blades.

Last edited:
Swampy,

I agree with you on the Trigs and the Treets. They flat wore me out. Cuts, burns, etc. Others may have good luck with them but they were not nice for me.

Excellent test drive! :thumbup:

Swampfox.. I totally agree with your assessment on the Astra's. The SP's are good but I find that the SS (Blue) much better smoother and forgiving. :thumbup1:

Swampfox.. I totally agree with your assessment on the Astra's. The SP's are good but I find that the SS (Blue) much better smoother and forgiving. :thumbup1:

I found this quite interesting that the SS were smoother and more forgiving than the SP for you. Saw the same sentiment echoed in another thread recently. Is it that much of difference in performance? I guess I'm wondering if I should make the effort to find and buy some of the Stainless...

Thanks,
Rick

I found this quite interesting that the SS were smoother and more forgiving than the SP for you. Saw the same sentiment echoed in another thread recently. Is it that much of difference in performance? I guess I'm wondering if I should make the effort to find and buy some of the Stainless...

Thanks,
Rick

Of the three Astra's I used (SP, SS and Keramik) the SS is, at least for me, way better than the others. Smoother, sharper and good enough to be a typical 2-pass blade with better results than most with a 3-pass shave.

To Swampfox; do not make a final decission on blades without having tried Souplex.....

They are a popular blade, I've heard good things about the medical Personnas as well, have you tried those yet?

No, I haven't. The Blue packs, right?

:thumbup1:

Thanks,
Rick

Some find the SP superior, and apparently there are a few of us who find the SS the better blade. It's classic YMMV, and probably has a lot to do with skin and beard type, etc. The difference was remarkable in my case.

To Swampfox; do not make a final decission on blades without having tried Souplex.....

That is one I have not yet seen.....

You didn't try Blue Birds?

I tried those over a year ago. Not bad blades, but not very good for me. They are better than Derbys, Treet and Trigs.

I report, you don't get flayed.

Anyhow, for the last two months, I have been searching for a better blade. With hopes that there is possibly some DE blade out there that is better than anything that I have yet to use, I plunged headlong into a series of blade tests. Some turned out great, some good, and some very bad.

Most of the blades I have been trying out are standards of wetshaving enthusiasts, that for whatever reason, I never have got around to trying. I have been mostly using Sharks, and Green Gillettes for my DEs since beginning to DE shave in August 2009. After discovering Injectors and SEs, I decided it was time to hunt for a better DE blade.

Now, for my tests of these blades, I used 5 select razors - My 3 piece open comb old type knockoff, Red Tip, Krona, Slim Adjustable, and a Blue Lady Gillette. Occasionally, I would use another razor, but these are the 5 main ones. Through the course of this journey, I have discovered that if a blade does not work well for me in my Red Tip, then odds are it will not be good for me at all. This was not always the case, but it held true nearly every time.

Here are the blades that I tried, and my thoughts on each.

Feathers (Yellow) - great! These worked really well in most of my razors, but very well in the Knockoff and the Red Tip.

Red Personna - I could not as for a smoother, more error-free shave than what these blades offered me! They work well in every razor I own, and I cannot ask more than that. While not quite as sharp as the Feathers, they were just super smooth.

Green Astra (platinum) - not bad, but they just didn't really work that well for me. Nicks and burns, while not severe, ruled each shave in each razor.

Blue Astra (stainless) - Very good! In all the razors, these performed very well. Not quite as good as the Personna blades, but worth buying more of.

Treet Classic - awful! I'd rather be tortured by someone with cold hands!

Trig Stainless - These blades made the Treet blades feel good.

SuperMax Platinum - these performed very well for me - smooth and almost always nick and burn free as long as I didn't do something stupid. These also will be worth buying more.

Bic - not bad, but not as good as the top performers.

Bottom line: I will buy more of the Personnas, Blue Astra, SuperMax and Feather blades.
I agree in the Super-Max Platinums; a very underrated blade. I've recently posted to the Deals forum on an eBay sale on these, and ordered 240 for the Blade Bunker.

My experience with the Astra SP's has been very good; so I guess it's YMMV on those; recently bulked up on them as well.

Blade Bunker, huh? I like where that's going.
The Blade Bunker is being prepped for Shavepocalypse. Razors, blades, and ammo to fight off the Zombie Hordes.

Right now, I have 300 Astra SP's, 300 Derbys, and 240 Super-Max Platinums. That's about 15 years' worth of blades. Or 7 if I toss 'em after 3 shaves each. Hmmmm, may need more blades...

I have it on good authority that Zombies will only use a Fusion ProGlide Power.

He's out of the 100 packs......

The Blade Bunker is being prepped for Shavepocalypse. Razors, blades, and ammo to fight off the Zombie Hordes.

Right now, I have 300 Astra SP's, 300 Derbys, and 240 Super-Max Platinums. That's about 15 years' worth of blades. Or 7 if I toss 'em after 3 shaves each. Hmmmm, may need more blades...

I have it on good authority that Zombies will only use a Fusion ProGlide Power.

:lol::lol::lol:

Whoa! When Dark is out, that's it till the next freighter is unloaded. (He's one of the main suppliers in NorthAm.)

Well, hang on, more are in the pipe!

Top Bottom