What's new

The Surprise Shave

One of those interesting experiences that contribute a tiny tiny little bit toward the overall funness of life.

I got home very late last night. 2:30AM to be specific. Despite the hour, I sat down for a few minutes just to relax with my GF. Then showered and shaved, as is my usual routine. I did not want to take long, and I was not expecting much. Just a quick one-pass, with the Futur I've been mostly using lately. And just with Merkur blade, since my others are not unpacked. But I did drag out the sample of Penhaligons Endymion cream I have, to at a little splurge to an otherwise dull quick shave. The lather was nice, and my Shavemac Finest felt oh so nice on my face. But wait... argh, the blade is pulling, and tugging, and just uncomforable to use. Oh well, complete the first pass. Wait, this blade was just too much. I didn't think it was that old, but.... Replace it anyway. Need a second pass because the first one did't cut for a darn. Ah, much better. Not wicked resistence free smoothness like a feather, but nice. Forgiving, smooth, nice even cutting resistence. That lather is so nice, and I am really starting to like the lather. A little to tired to be that careful with the razor, so perhaps it is better I am using a Merkur, since I am just kind of whipping it around. Not paying super attention to being methodical, a little hear, a little there. might have gone over that bit twice. just shaving around the corners on my chin, without paying as much attention as usual to angle or pressure. Oh well, suppose I'll pay for it, but too tired to care. Finish second pass, and my face feels surprisingly good. Makes me want to do a third pass. So I do. Again, not that carefull. Just drag the blade along as close to against the grain as it wants to go. Then done. Splash with water. Feel. What's this. No stubble? No way. Yup. No stubble. None. Smooth. Ah, well, I'll pay for it with irritation. But hmm.... I don't feel any. Maybe when I apply aftershave. Nope that just felt pleasant....

Yup. Not caring, having a less than favorite blade, and a first pass with a dull one, behind half asleep, not being systematic, etc. led to one of my best shaves ever. I might have been ever so slightly more perfectly smooth once or twice, but never with ZERO irritation. It was fantastic, and somehow made my night feel better, despite the awful hour. Even now, 13 hours later, my shave is smoother than I could get with a Mach 3 without irritation. :biggrin:

Well, truth is, I need to wind down after getting home from an evening that is a stressful as any one involving getting home from work at 2:30 is. I can spend half an hour or 45 minutes winding down, showering, and shaving, and have a chance of going to sleep, or I can go right to bed and be assured of tossing and turning awake for an hour.

Don't think I would try this with a straight, though.....

moses said:
Well, truth is, I need to wind down after getting home from an evening that is a stressful as any one involving getting home from work at 2:30 is. I can spend half an hour or 45 minutes winding down, showering, and shaving, and have a chance of going to sleep, or I can go right to bed and be assured of tossing and turning awake for an hour.

Don't think I would try this with a straight, though.....

This is EXACTLY the time to use a straight. Going through the ritual stropping, slow and relaxing shave, being able to hit the sack with the scent of a fine shaving cream or soap...yes!

Randy

My guess is you used less pressure than usual on all the passes and it paid off.

curious, what setting was the razor on?

rtaylor61 said:
This is EXACTLY the time to use a straight. Going through the ritual stropping, slow and relaxing shave, being able to hit the sack with the scent of a fine shaving cream or soap...yes!

Randy
I agree. I use a straight at momentls like that. By the time I'm finished I'm really relaxed and ready for bed.

most of the time, I use my straight on a Saturday or a Sunday morning when I have time for a nice, slow, relaxing shave.

Jeff

Well, I figure it just wouldn't be smart to use an open blade when I'm so bone tired there is a serious risk of droppage.

As for pressure, no, I think I actually used more than I often do, oddly enough.

Futur was set on 3, I believe. Although I'd have to check, I did not bother to at the time.

I have noticed also that i tend to get my best shaves when i just dont care.

its when i start to worry about stuff that i tend to get razor burn and/or nicks and cuts

if i worry to much about blade angle, i get nicks and scrapes
If i start worrying about getting razor burn on my neck, which i always do, i get it BAD.

its like you just have to almost "forget" that your shaving, and just do it. That is when you get your best shaves.

Of course, this does not apply to someone who has never shaved, and/or has never used a DE/Straight razor

Top Bottom