What's new

The Summer of Semogue

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
My 620 is from around 1.5 years ago, so probably similar to yours. It's an outstanding brush, the only real complaint I have is the bristles are dyed with the fake stripe. What's interesting is the bristles fan out into a cone shape so the knot seems larger than 22mm. It looks almost the same size as the C5 with the 24mm x 50mm knot. The C5 is just more dense and plush. Honestly, I like both of them. The C5 feels almost like a plusher version of the 610. It took a while to break in, but it is becoming a favorite now.
Interesting maybe I need to look at the c5 😁

My 620 is from around 1.5 years ago, so probably similar to yours. It's an outstanding brush, the only real complaint I have is the bristles are dyed with the fake stripe. What's interesting is the bristles fan out into a cone shape so the knot seems larger than 22mm. It looks almost the same size as the C5 with the 24mm x 50mm knot. The C5 is just more dense and plush. Honestly, I like both of them. The C5 feels almost like a plusher version of the 610. It took a while to break in, but it is becoming a favorite now.
Now I'm confused which one to buy (first boar brush). So do you prefer the Torga to the 610? Is 620 still your favorite - which one would you recommend getting as a first brush? Also considering C3 Galahad - same as C5, but taller loft.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Now I'm confused which one to buy (first boar brush). So do you prefer the Torga to the 610? Is 620 still your favorite - which one would you recommend getting as a first brush? Also considering C3 Galahad - same as C5, but taller loft.
It’s confusing with all the options abs classification
I’d recommend the 620. Especially fir face lathering. I have a soc but it’s been shedding so it’s in the dog house. Semouge is very affordable so you can’t go too wrong.

It’s confusing with all the options abs classification
I’d recommend the 620. Especially fir face lathering. I have a soc but it’s been shedding so it’s in the dog house. Semouge is very affordable so you can’t go too wrong.
Yeah, I forgot to say, I'm only interested in face lathering

I only have the C3 Torga IT. I am pretty happy with it, but I do find that it splays more than I want. Sounds like the 610, which a lot of people say splays less than the 620, would be better for me.

Yeah, I forgot to say, I'm only interested in face lathering
For face lathering, it is difficult to pick one favorite. I don't think you would go wrong with a 620 as a first boar brush. I would choose the C5 Torga instead of the Semogue Owner's Club.

These brushes take a while to break in. So, you will need to be patient with a new one. I think the 620 would break in faster than a C5 Torga.

I agree that the 620 is a faster break-in than the Torga C5. I got them at the same time, and the 620 was really good in short order.

The fastest break-in for any Semogue boar I've used was the 1250. The slowest was either my 2009 LE boar (forerunner of the SOC) or the Torga.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’m not sure how the 1305 generally stacks up. I find some of the classifications like % tops etc to be nonsensical. But after a very long hiatus the 1305 was amazing. Super soft. Just a tiny touch of scritch. The hairs seem longer because it’s much softer? I also had only used this a few times before putting it aside so if there was any break in on this it’s almost like I wasn’t even aware of it. No shedding either like the soc did. So I’m
Happy that it doesn’t seem like it’s anything I did or didn’t do like lack of proper wash out. Anyway this 1305 is fantastic. I guess you have to like the painted handle too. Sitting next to the soc the knot on the 1305 might look smaller to my eye. The handles are identical except the paint job.

Just got a Masamune brush, premium boar. Wow. It's much smaller than I expected, but also quite dense. I'm really looking forward to trying this out. Cleaning it today and will use it tomorrow!

So interesting thing on the Semogue 2000. When I tried to return, Amazon said it was worth $0.00 because it was an exchange. I'm not hurting for cash so I didn't bother to fight and decided to keep it.

Well, I haven't broken in a Semogue boar for a few years and my memory is foggy, but this particular brush reminds me more of an Omega boar than a Semogue. Where previous Semogues have bloomed quite a bit, this one has kept itself much more controlled. And when I did lather up to shave yesterday, the boar hairs were much more springy. It reminded me of my first boar, the Omega B&B. Or somewhat like the Plisson synthetic. It was quite nice even though the tips hadn't yet split.

I'll keep tabs on it, but if this performance holds, I would be quite happy. It's a little bigger knot but not too much loft, so if it has a controlled splay and bloom, that would be fantastic.

Keep us posted, Jarick. I like the 2000; the hair grade has always felt Omega-y to me, but the splay and bloom of mine have been all Semogue. My 2000 feels huge on the face. I do like it, and in the end, it's close to an Omega Pro for me in terms of feel.

So interesting thing on the Semogue 2000. When I tried to return, Amazon said it was worth $0.00 because it was an exchange. I'm not hurting for cash so I didn't bother to fight and decided to keep it.
Sane thing happened to me in Amazondotin

The wrong product (a book) was delivered, I returned it and asked for the correct product.
The second time correct product was delivered, but it was all taped up and unusable, so I returned it as well.

Now, I asked for refund, but since the product that I was asking refund for was already a replacement and hence it's value was marked 0.00 Rupees, and the seller trying to be wise a##, sent me confirmation of refund value 0.00 Rupees.

I had a chat with the customer care and got my refund.
So, if you are not satisfied with the model delivered, then there is no need to keep it, afterall the brushes last for years and years.

Rest is up to you to decide, just my 2 cents.

What's special about the 620, is the so-called "70 % tops" knot. What that means (as I understand it), is that only seventy percent of the bristles are full length, the last 30% being slightly shorter. That makes for a brush where, at one and the same time, you get a lot of backbone, and very soft feel of the brush hitting your face. Also, I believe it affects the way lather is "whipped up", mix air and water into the soap -- I couldn't explain the physics involved, but I know it's a fantastic lather machine. the 620 has a bit of a cult following, I happily admit I am one of them. I have had one in my rotation for about 5 years. I am a big fan of regular "pure bristle" brushes too (like so many Omega). But the Semogue 620 is not really comparable to those. It's a boar bristle brush alright, but it's in a league of its own. By all means get one, if you like face lathering you wont regret it. The octagonal style handle is one of my favourite handle designs too.

The C5 is amazing for all the reasons Atlantic59 stated. It's wall-of-soft-scrubby turned up to 11. I almost gave up on it during break-in, but it became something really remarkable.

@TBoner, I like the way you describe your gradual "realization"of what a gem the C5 is.
I have a question for you: do you have any experience with the Proraso boar brush? If so, how do the C5 and the Proraso compare?
The Proraso is one of my favourite boars, actually produced by Omega. What makes the Proraso stand out, is its short loft, the diameter to loft ratio. By the sounds of it, the C5 has a quite similar ratio, the C5 is just slightly smaller than the Proraso. In case you are familiar with the Proraso, what do you think?

I like the Proraso Pro quite a bit. It does have a similar knot:loft ratio, but it’s still a pretty different knot, with the typical Omega thicker-shafted bristles. Said bristles are less densely packed than the C5 hairs. The knot winds up having ample backbone due to the thicker hair shafts, but without that density of the Torga, it feels less plush, more scrubby (not scritchy but with plenty of tip presence). It’s a workhorse boar, maybe like a 620 and a 2000 mated. I would say anyone who likes any other Omega boars would enjoy the Proraso brush, whereas the C5 would appeal to fans of Semogue boars or soft, dense badgers.

@TBoner, I was reading through much of this thread tonight, hadn't noticed it before.
Its funny -- I sort of had a project similar to your "Semogue Summer" a couple of years ago, just the other way around, coming from boars, and wanting to "learn to love badger". For a long time I preferred boars over badger, but I also knew that badgers have a lot to offer if your are willing to spend the dough ... So I decided to get myself a load of top notch badgers and went nuts... Actually, one of my favourite badgers these days, ended up being a reasonably priced Semogue -- the 730 HD silvertip, I can highly recommend it, handle very similar to the 620 boar btw, and knot every bit as superb as a Thäter or Shavemac that cost twice as much.
So these days, I've got badgers in my rotation too.
Some of the more general things I seemed to have learned are
- I might as well stop being embarrassed about having so many knots (and other shaving gadgets). Heck, it keeps me happy, its OK to have a hobby, I could spend much more money in more stupid ways. It's a little piece of everyday Zen -- it's good for you.
- Favourites (brushes, blades, pucks ...) are not once and for all, at least for me. Rather, I enjoy the variety that different style brushes in my rotation (and collection) offer. MY preferences seem to change over time, and it's also a great pleasure to "re-discover" an old favourite. As I mature into a more experienced and seasoned wet-shaving enthusiast, certain devices I did not like earlier on seem to grow on me, and I grow out of other things I thought would be favourites forever. It's OK that way -- but one consequence is, I don't like getting rid of stuff -- so again, I think it's funny that you planned to get rid of some brushes that you ended up keeping and now are really enjoying -- like the Semogue Torga C5. (In fact, because of this thread you started, I just ordered a Torga C5 myself this evening.) I just hope you wont regret having sold your badgers ...
Thank you for a dedicated effort with the Semogue boars, which by now has lasted way beyond last summer :)

@Jens thanks for the kind words. As it turns out, I kept a Shavemac badger and have added...a Semogue 3-band silvertip!

Since 2008, I have been through the cycle of selling, regretting, and re-purchasing numerous times. Duke 3 in Best - what - 7, 8 different times? I decided to keep all of the Semogues. I kept my Omega boars. I tell myself I want minimalism, but the truth is, even when I used the same brush, razor, and aftershave every day for 5-6 years, I kept a steady rotation of homemade and commercial soaps, trying new things regularly on the software front. I just like a bit of variety.

I don't like it when I never use an item. However, I do know that I go through phases in which boar is all I want, then shift back to badger, etc.

I can say that at present, my favorite brushes are:
Semogue SOC Mistura
Semogue BC Mistura
Semogue 610
Semogue 1470
Semogue TSN LE 2020 silvertip

Which I suppose means the summer of Semogue has become something more than one summer; I am eyeing the HD silvertips and a 2-band Finest, as well, when I am able to sell some stuff and clear funds.

I suppose in the end having a bunch of boars in case the mood strikes isn't a bad thing. The 1250 is a cheap thrill, as are most of the rest. Compared to the space taken up by just one of my bicycles, the shave stuff is small potatoes. Embarrassment be damned. I like the hobby, and it's not bankrupting me or making me fat, so I'll roll with it.

I reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow and chase minimalism, but there may be a reason it has taken me so long to get around to selling stuff...

Top Bottom