What's new

The Summer of Semogue

For me the 2000 belongs to my second best bristle, the best is my Semogue TSN LE 2018 boar brush.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

My word, the 620 does some good work. It yielded a huge amount of lather from my Harris soap this morning.

I am loving some of the handles I've never seen. That green 2000 is fantastic!

I have got a few shaves in with my new 1800 and it is a hell of a brush. I expect it will be excellent once it breaks in. Hasn’t shed a single hair and I am pretty rough on brushes. 👍

On another note, Any opinions on SOC two band Badger brushes? Expensive as far as brushes go, but inexpensive as far as two band Badger brushes go...

I have got a few shaves in with my new 1800 and it is a hell of a brush. I expect it will be excellent once it breaks in. Hasn’t shed a single hair and I am pretty rough on brushes. 👍

On another note, Any opinions on SOC two band Badger brushes? Expensive as far as brushes go, but inexpensive as far as two band Badger brushes go...
I think the 2-band is a great brush. I sold the one I had since I've gotten used to larger badger brushes, but it was a nice one.

I’m looking at these too

I’m looking at these too
They aren’t super expensive but I am not sure if I save a bit of $$$ go with another Spiffo (amazing brushes made in Canada and about $60-70) or suck it up and buy a more expensive Simpson.

decisions, decisions..,

They aren’t super expensive but I am not sure if I save a bit of $$$ go with another Spiffo (amazing brushes made in Canada and about $60-70) or suck it up and buy a more expensive Simpson.

decisions, decisions..,
Oh, and I have the 1800 and it’s a nice brush. The 2 band in the white acrylic handle or the cherry handle definitely have my eye. Only badger I currently own is the razorock best in the white resin handle, which I really like.

Great thread! I am going to order a 1250 and 1800 ASAP.

I have a Pharos C3 synthetic that is an excellent brush and I have another Pharos in black horsehair coming later this week.

Curious as to why there is very little mention in this thread (or on B&B in general) of synthetic and horsehair Semogues...
Did your horsehair ever show up, if so any opinions?

1470-620-610 has been the rotation of late. A couple of others got thrown into the mix, but these little brushes are just so satisfying for me. Today a 620 and a 5/8 Genco made for an elemental, but luxurious, combination.

Stuck with Canada Post since Oct 19th. Think they lost it. I will update if it ever arrives. I will order again if it is indeed lost.

The synthetic is awesome if I haven’t mentioned it. Very different than Yaqi or Simpsons. Much more backbone.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B085TM1V2C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Have faith! It took more than three weeks for some BST razors to arrive over here from the US. And one of those sellers on the East Coast told me it took two weeks for a razor to be received from San Francisco ... but it arrived safely.

Have faith! It took more than three weeks for some BST razors to arrive over here from the US. And one of those sellers on the East Coast told me it took two weeks for a razor to be received from San Francisco ... but it arrived safely.
I have two other Semogue brushes I ordered from Portugal and they arrived within a couple of weeks. Canada Post is seemingly sending this one back to Portugal. The factory told me they would send another if it is lost/returned, so no worries. I ordered a Vie Long horse hair that will be here tomorrow in the meantime. 👍

The Pharos Synthetic and my 1800 are getting a lot of use As well.

I seem to have no issues with Europe. I've gotten things from the UK (BST) in a week and from Portugal (online store) in two weeks. The US case, where one was over three weeks and the other was over four weeks was a bit nerve-wracking. Oddly, both of the latter arrived on the same day.

A while back, the 1470 and 1250 were setting the pace for me. Now it's the 610 and 620. I alternate between the two of late and can't decide which I prefer. Truthfully, I like whatever Semogue is in my hand at a given point in time. I still enjoy my Omegas and will give my new unbleached Zenith boar a good bit of work in the coming weeks, but I find myself wishing I'd given Semogues a fair shake sooner. My favorite brushmaker at the moment. I'm glad I took this little project on, as it helped me discover how wonderful small boars are and how much variety a boar brush maker can put into their lineup.

The keepers: 1470, 1250, 610, 620, 1800

Front-runners at present: 1470, 610, 620 (the 21/50 knots...superb)

I imagine the 1250 and 1800 will cycle back to favored status at some point, as that tends to be how my preferences go: things come in waves. Nevertheless, I think I'm done buying brushes for quite some time. Nothing has ever suited my tastes better than these small, scrubby-soft boars.

Anyone else have issues with customer service from the Portuguese Factory?

I have an order that was either sent back to Portugal or lost and they don’t seem to want to help. I asked them to refund and I would reorder or just to resend the brush and they aren’t interested in doing that. It is 100% a postal issue, but they don’t seem to want to do anything (they need to open a case as the seller, not the receiver).

It was thru Amazon, so I will get a refund if I want, but I have heard good things about their customer service and love my other Semogues...

^
Yeah, that kind of value is hard to beat. I just really, really don't like the handle. Maybe could sand it down into a cooler shape? Otherwise, I'm going to get a 610, which seems like it may be the same knot ... at least it has the same dimensions.

A while back, the 1470 and 1250 were setting the pace for me. Now it's the 610 and 620. I alternate between the two of late and can't decide which I prefer. Truthfully, I like whatever Semogue is in my hand at a given point in time. I still enjoy my Omegas and will give my new unbleached Zenith boar a good bit of work in the coming weeks, but I find myself wishing I'd given Semogues a fair shake sooner. My favorite brushmaker at the moment. I'm glad I took this little project on, as it helped me discover how wonderful small boars are and how much variety a boar brush maker can put into their lineup.

The keepers: 1470, 1250, 610, 620, 1800

Front-runners at present: 1470, 610, 620 (the 21/50 knots...superb)

I imagine the 1250 and 1800 will cycle back to favored status at some point, as that tends to be how my preferences go: things come in waves. Nevertheless, I think I'm done buying brushes for quite some time. Nothing has ever suited my tastes better than these small, scrubby-soft boars.

Great thread! I had to read as I dug my 1305 from the back of the closet.

Over the years I've had practically every Semogue. 1305 (multiple times), 830, 820, 610, 620, 1470, 1438, 1250, 1800, SOC (multiple times in badger and boar). My absolute favorite was the old Cerda LE, which I think was similar to the C5. It was unbleached with a wood handle and measured 24x50 roughly. It was essentially a shorter loft SOC which was just awesome.

I tend to find that the 55mm loft brushes get to be too floppy and the 50mm brushes feel too small generally. I like a little more scrub out of the boars because when they break in they get kind of soft and floppy, not scratchy at all. And that's coming from someone who is a badger snob and dislikes anything less than Shavemac/Thater to avoid scratch.

So I'm kicking around getting a shorter loft boar again as all those are no longer in the den (aside from the 1305). Do you generally like the 610 over the 620?

How is the Zenith breaking in? I saw there's one for sale that's supposed to be like the Cerda (24 x 48).

Top Bottom