What's new

The Summer of Semogue

OG Barbear Classico Cerda and Mistura - the legends. Possibly the best brushes ever made... Up until last year, I'd recommend the 620 as the best Semogue that's not discontinued, but now, the 1800 is the King of Semogues.

I was planning to wait a few months before ordering a 1520 (same knot as the 620) and a 1800, but I am now reevaluating my self-imposed moratorium.

Any chance we could see a photo of the legend?

Any chance we could see a photo of the legend?
Here you go, my Semogue family portrait.

Left to right: IB 2012 LE, BC Cerda, BC Mistura, 620, and 1800
proxy.php

They look great. Can't wait to hear more about the 2015 HD.
Used the 2015HD this morning. I've only used 2 badgers before and just didn't like the face feel. Whether that was those particular brushes or badger hair itself I don't know yet. This one feels better though. It has nice back bone and density and quite soft tips, but here is a small amount of needley feeling going on which may or may not go away with use.

The jury is still out on it, and on badger hair in general for me. It may be too floppy for some because of it's loft but it is not a floppy brush. It may not have enough backbone for some but it still has plenty backbone. It's a lovely made brush though. Typical Semogue quality.

Here's my Smoggies...

View attachment 1123980

The boars are still breaking in and the 2015HD arrived today so I haven't used it. I washed it though and it feels pure luxury. The boars are all stonkin good brushes and Semogue are very clever at using different grades of hair with different lofts and handles. They know how to enable. Every brush is different. The 1800 already has surprisingly soft tips. It could be the winner...but...but...the 1250 is fantastic as well. And those two little face mashers are great. The 1438 might be the winner there but who knows?

I found two thick scratchy hairs in the 1460 and pulled them out. I couldn't believe it. It looked just like nylon. I swear it was transparent. Then I burned it and , fear not it was boar hair. Smells quite vulgar.

Looking forward to using the 2015HD. They are advertised all over as Silvertip but The Portuguese Factory describes them as Super, or maybe there's two different types, dunno. Whatever, but they are very soft.

For some reason the 1250 looks huge in that pic but it's not. It's the same size as the 1800 next to it.

Did it smell like bacon?

The 610 and 620 are proving to be a nice little 1-2 punch. I still like the 1250 and 1800 a great deal, as well. The 830 is taking time to break in, I guess. It feels pretty nice but lacks lather-holding capability as of now. Tomorrow the Torga gets its first run in over a week; it does appear to have more split tips after its most recent lathers, so hopefully its performance reflects that.

The 1800 has turned another corner, apparently. It made 4 generous passes of lather from a second-tier hard soap today, and it held onto them throughout the shave. Just a real pleasure to use. Is it better than the 1250 for me? Not sure. But it's very good.

I've come to appreciate smaller boar knots over time, and especially during the time I've been using these Semogues. My Omega 49 and Semogue 2000 used to be the pinnacle of boar for me, and now I find myself wondering if the 1250 and 1800 might be too big. The 620 and 610 are just such nice scrubby little knots. And yet, the efficiency of lather from the 22/55 Semogue knots is undeniable. One of those and a 24/55 Omega may shake out as the two boar keepers. Or maybe those are too similar and I want to keep the scrubby short lofts. Anyway, great shaves continue.

The 1800 has turned another corner, apparently. It made 4 generous passes of lather from a second-tier hard soap today, and it held onto them throughout the shave. Just a real pleasure to use. Is it better than the 1250 for me? Not sure. But it's very good.

I've come to appreciate smaller boar knots over time, and especially during the time I've been using these Semogues. My Omega 49 and Semogue 2000 used to be the pinnacle of boar for me, and now I find myself wondering if the 1250 and 1800 might be too big. The 620 and 610 are just such nice scrubby little knots. And yet, the efficiency of lather from the 22/55 Semogue knots is undeniable. One of those and a 24/55 Omega may shake out as the two boar keepers. Or maybe those are too similar and I want to keep the scrubby short lofts. Anyway, great shaves continue.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! The 1800 sounds tempting and I will keep an eye on your reviews. I like the 830 because it is completely different, but the 610/620 are my favorites from the Semogue lineup.

Lately, I set my Semogues aside in favor of Omegas. Their setup is quite different and I somewhat prefer it to the larger bloom of the Semogues. Great stuff either way!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! The 1800 sounds tempting and I will keep an eye on your reviews. I like the 830 because it is completely different, but the 610/620 are my favorites from the Semogue lineup.

Lately, I set my Semogues aside in favor of Omegas. Their setup is quite different and I somewhat prefer it to the larger bloom of the Semogues. Great stuff either way!
The Omegas are still my preferred boars, I think, but the 610 and 620 are making headway.

The 1800 is the most Omega-ish Semogue I have used, other than the 2000. It feels closer to my 10005 than the other Semogues, because it blooms less and has a bit more backbone than, say, the 1250. I do dig the 1250 as a lathering tool, because it just makes gobs of the stuff and doesn't eat it before I'm done shaving.

It makes sense that the 610/620 are your favorites. Very controlled bloom, especially the 610, which I used today. I actually want it to open up a bit more, and I expect it will, as Semogues change even more than Omegas as they break in. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, because I know some of these may wind up being less favorable for my preferences by the time they are all the way broken-in, whereas while Omegas improve in lather capacity and do soften up some, from shave 10 or 15 on their general character is established. You can tell if one is going to be scrubby, plush, floppy, etc., by the end of a month using it every other day.

I'm not sure summer is enough time to fully evaluate these Semogues, but we shall see. I can say that I just am not digging the Torga C5. It's such a big, dense knot and a short loft that it winds up being less intuitive for me to use than the others.

The Owners Club 2 band is my favorite brush: Once broken in after a few shaves, it turns into a lather monster whipping up copious amounts of lather in no time. Also, it spreads the lather as evenly as a synthie. Though the silvertips are soft, the strong backbone allows the brush to hug the skin which makes for a very "comforting" shave.
And in almost ten years it has barely lost hairs.

I'm still having a hard time loving the 830. The handle is perfect, and the feel is fine, although to me not as good as their other hair. However, the lather capacity is still not where I want it. I do think part of my issue is that I need to start with this brush a shade wetter, so I'll give it a shot on Monday. Today was just okay. Tomorrow I already know will be great: the 1250 is up.

I'm still having a hard time loving the 830. The handle is perfect, and the feel is fine, although to me not as good as their other hair. However, the lather capacity is still not where I want it. I do think part of my issue is that I need to start with this brush a shade wetter, so I'll give it a shot on Monday. Today was just okay. Tomorrow I already know will be great: the 1250 is up.
Similar experience here. I love the look of 830 and the feel of it but it doesn't perform as well as I'd like. I think it's the low backbone and floppy bristles that doesn't pick up enough soap for me. It's still a keeper in my den though. I just need to load heavier each time.

Similar experience here. I love the look of 830 and the feel of it but it doesn't perform as well as I'd like. I think it's the low backbone and floppy bristles that doesn't pick up enough soap for me. It's still a keeper in my den though. I just need to load heavier each time.

I hear what you are saying about the 830. I have a 1305 with the same knot. Have you tried using the brush with some cream - works quite well.

I hear you guys on creams, but I seldom use them. I'm just more of a soap guy. I will try loading longer with a wetter brush next time the 830 comes up in the rotation.

Today the 1250 was simply mind-blowing. It may be my Goldilocks among Semogues. I could have shaved 5 passes with the lather generated from my standard loading of Palmolive. The feel is fantastic. Cheap stick, cheap boar, and a user-grade MMCP and just a really great shave that reminded me why I got into wetshaving to begin with.

Now, the thing is, I don't have an 820, but I like the 830 handle, and the 820 is the same knot as the 1250. Don't know if it's worth it to me right now to buy the 820 because I also dig this wooden handle shape. But eventually maybe.

Top Bottom