What's new

The Summer of Semogue

1616416083850.png

I passed the two smaller ones along and kept the 1250 and 1800.
Nowt really wrong with any of them though.

From left to right in front, the 1460, 1800 and 1520 arrived - did I say that I love Semogue wooden handled brushes?

After one experience with a new painted brush peeling (not Semogue, BTW), I now take the brush out of it packaging, put my nose right up to the paint and sniff. If I can smell any paint smell, I let the paint cure for a few weeks until I cannot smell anything before using the brush, so I won't use the 1460 or 1520 for a couple of more weeks, but I do plan to use the 1800 this week. Can't wait!

They look so happy, right?

20210328_155032172_iOS.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
From left to right in front, the 1460, 1800 and 1520 arrived - did I say that I love Semogue wooden handled brushes?

After one experience with a new painted brush peeling (not Semogue, BTW), I now take the brush out of it packaging, put my nose right up to the paint and sniff. If I can smell any paint smell, I let the paint cure for a few weeks until I cannot smell anything before using the brush, so I won't use the 1460 or 1520 for a couple of more weeks, but I do plan to use the 1800 this week. Can't wait!

They look so happy, right?

View attachment 1243095
Summer is off to a good start

My new Torga C5 boar arrived now ... This is a fabulous brush, right out of the box at first shave (I never cared to "break in" other than by ordinary use from day 1). Resembles another of my favourite boars, the Omega 10029 "baby pro", the Torga is just a bit softer. I am very pleased that I became aware of is brush, thanks again for the comprehensive effort, @TBoner. Details of first shave at

I just got a 1305 to go with the 1250 and 1800.
I do like these 55mm lofts and the handles.
So do I. The scrub of the 620 is special, but I do find I return to the 1250 and 1800 often.

I used my 830 this morning. The lather was spectacular, and I really enjoyed the facefeel: soft without ever feeling floppy or insubstantial.

@Jens I am glad to read that you are enjoying the Torga C5. I will have to revisit it again this week.

I am nearing a point where I want to divest myself of everything but Semogues. The boars work for me, the mixed brushes work for me, and nothing else works better (most things don't work as well). It looks as though summer of 2021 will be one for Semogues as well in my den.

The 830 really is amazing. I can't believe I nearly sold it. It has finally broken in to the point where it just creates a huge volume of lather. The feel is unique - a silvertip of boar - and the plexi handle is slightly more comfortable due to its size than that of the 620 or 610. I still prefer the SOC-style handles, but the 830 would make an excellent daily driver in every respect, and because it is more dense than the otherwise identically-haired 1305, it's a totally unique brush in the lineup.

The 830 really is amazing. I can't believe I nearly sold it. It has finally broken in to the point where it just creates a huge volume of lather. The feel is unique - a silvertip of boar - and the plexi handle is slightly more comfortable due to its size than that of the 620 or 610. I still prefer the SOC-style handles, but the 830 would make an excellent daily driver in every respect, and because it is more dense than the otherwise identically-haired 1305, it's a totally unique brush in the lineup.

I definitely love the 830.

I definitely agree it's the silvertip of the boar world.

I feel the 1800, 830 and 620 is all one needs to experience the full spectrum of boar brushes.

But need and want are two different things right?!

I'm looking to try my first Semogue boar. I find that I prefer a tall loft with little backbone. I also exclusively bowl lather. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm looking to try my first Semogue boar. I find that I prefer a tall loft with little backbone. I also exclusively bowl lather. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I'd say the Semogue 2000 would be good, one of their taller models. I also like the 1250 quite a lot, though it has some backbone, it is very gentle. Remember these take 15-20 shaves or so to break-in before softening up fully.

1621676911696.png
1621677005928.png

1621677061040.png

linty1

My wallet cries.
I read the first post of this thread, then jumped to the last page... but theres so mich good info here I will take the time and read all 13 pages. The only boar is a Soc one and ngl at first? I didnt like it, but broken in? Its one of my favourite brushes, although for some reason I don't reach for it often? Right now I'm working on breaking in a mistura, but I shall return to the soc boar soon. Ok, now to start reading

I will second the 2000 based on your requirements, @Atlantic59. The 1250 is like a smaller SOC. After the 22 mm 1250 opens up, I would describe the brush as almost medium in size. The 1800 is a tad softer than the 1250 and feels more like an Omega to me.

All three are excellent brushes and I am not aware of any laws or regulations prohibiting you from buying more than one.

I will second the 2000 based on your requirements, @Atlantic59. The 1250 is like a smaller SOC. After the 22 mm 1250 opens up, I would describe the brush as almost medium in size. The 1800 is a tad softer than the 1250 and feels more like an Omega to me.

All three are excellent brushes and I am not aware of any laws or regulations prohibiting you from buying more than one.

Pigs are social creature, so consequently IMO boar brushes should be owned in multiples.

Top Bottom