What's new

The Summer of Semogue

15 straight uses with my new Semogue SOC Taj Boar. I have never used the same brush for 15 straight shaves before.

I build the lather using the traditional Italian barber's approach: lots of water, handle on the palm of the hand, three fingers pinching the base of the knot and gentle scrubbing my face. What a pleasure!!

I think this might be the one :thumbup:
Hmm. I've seen guys mention seeing videos of Italian barber technique. I'd like to see this.

15 straight uses with my new Semogue SOC Taj Boar. I have never used the same brush for 15 straight shaves before.

I build the lather using the traditional Italian barber's approach: lots of water, handle on the palm of the hand, three fingers pinching the base of the knot and gentle scrubbing my face. What a pleasure!!

I think this might be the one :thumbup:
The SOC is the one big gap in my Semogue experience. I worry about density and knot size interfering with lather release and practicality. I love the look of them, and I'm enjoying my Torga C5, which I think is the same hair in a shorter loft, but my preference lately has been trending toward smaller knots.

Still...the one?! Maybe I should give it a go.

The SOC is the one big gap in my Semogue experience. I worry about density and knot size interfering with lather release and practicality. I love the look of them, and I'm enjoying my Torga C5, which I think is the same hair in a shorter loft, but my preference lately has been trending toward smaller knots.

Still...the one?! Maybe I should give it a go.

I can’t see how lather release can be an issue with the SOC. Like most boars it keeps on giving lather.

I was comparing it today to my 1305, and they are nearly the same, even the handle is very very similar. Only differences are: the SOC has a little larger knot and the resin handle feels heftier in the hand. The SOC’s bristles are way superior, though. I don’t believe Semogue would die their best hairs to put in the 1305. Also, the SOC had nearly no break in period

what I like about the SOC are: the incredible softness of the tips, the large bloomed knot which makes the experience more luxurious, the ergonomic handle, which allows me to 3-finger pinch the knot just like Italian barbers do with the Omega 48, which for me has a too large handle and does not bloom as much as the SOC.

I haven’t seen a reason yet to pick any of my Simpsons or Semogues or Omegas instead of the SOC every morning. It’s really a daily barber experience at home - beware your fingers will get all messy with lather :)

Last edited:
Got the pharos black horse it's got similar backbone to a boar almost maybe a little less without the new boar scritch. It don't have barely any scritch like some horse brush users talk about. It's a nice in between badger and boar if you want more backbone but not quite a boar level, although this is the first semogue I ever owned.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
the large bloomed knot which makes the experience more luxurious, the ergonomic handle, which allows me to 3-finger pinch the knot just like Italian barbers do
I dislike bloom intensely and much prefer a brush to retain its original shape as much as possible. When my brushes are fully dry I reform them by wrapping the knot for a few hours before they go back into the rotation. A large bloom, especially after one or two uses really puts me off a brush, some of the 'before and after' images of new brushes I see on B&B are dreadful to my eyes. YMMV as usual. I always thought the knot pinch method was because the knot was too floppy or too high lofted - is that not correct or is there some other reason to do it?

Got the pharos black horse it's got similar backbone to a boar almost maybe a little less without the new boar scritch. It don't have barely any scritch like some horse brush users talk about. It's a nice in between badger and boar if you want more backbone but not quite a boar level, although this is the first semogue I ever owned.
It’s my favorite horse brush but I only own a few.

Definitely less backbone than my Pharos Boar, but a ton more than my VieLong horse.

It didn’t stink nearly as bad as Vie Long when new either.

I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to try a horse brush.

I dislike bloom intensely and much prefer a brush to retain its original shape as much as possible. When my brushes are fully dry I reform them by wrapping the knot for a few hours before they go back into the rotation. A large bloom, especially after one or two uses really puts me off a brush, some of the 'before and after' images of new brushes I see on B&B are dreadful to my eyes. YMMV as usual. I always thought the knot pinch method was because the knot was too floppy or too high lofted - is that not correct or is there some other reason to do it?

Yes, the knot pinch method works well when using boar barber brushes. I wouldn't necessarily call them floppy. I believe it is more about the intrinsic quality of boar hair. It tends to absorb a lot of water when soaking for a while and as a result become incredibly soft.

This method brings the best out of boars because you get a fantastic soft massage while increasing the scrubbiness and helping with the flow through. It is also very easy to direct the lather to the exact spot you want giving you more control when face lathering.

It’s my favorite horse brush but I only own a few.

Definitely less backbone than my Pharos Boar, but a ton more than my VieLong horse.

It didn’t stink nearly as bad as Vie Long when new either.

I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to try a horse brush.
Mine kind of stinks now a lot more than either boar or badger ever did, but it should fade soon. these are fairly low loft I read 50mm somewhere. A lot of vie longs seem to be higher lofted, although a few seem lower especially some of the mixed knots.

My first Semogue is still in the mail. Ive chose Zeniths largely because they don't seem to have the exaggerated bloom. But a sale on a very cheap Semogue (1460?) tipped me in. I have huge lofted Zeniths and I still don't really get the finger pinch method and it seems to make more sense to me to re-knot it to a shorter loft. But I'm still exploring the technique.

So a couple months later,

I am really enjoying this 2015 HD silver tip. It is different than my Shavemac badgers in a pleasant way. It’s more springy and less dense which seems to help let the hairs work to build and keep lather.

I honestly reach for it 90% of the time which is interesting. Again I have lots of beautiful artisan brushes to pick from.

It makes me thing the Semogue badger is underrated. It’s affordable at well under $100. It works well with soaps and creams. The handle and size works well for face or bowl lathering. It’s soft enough for my very sensitive skin but not mushy.

Also made me pull the trigger on a low priced SOC from Amazon yesterday. I’ve had a couple before but why not try again. I’m liking the Semogue so much but my 1305 boar is way too mushy. Mostly I have a double brush stand and a matching boar with wood handle would look excellent...

I am really enjoying this 2015 HD silver tip. It is different than my Shavemac badgers in a pleasant way. It’s more springy and less dense which seems to help let the hairs work to build and keep lather... I honestly reach for it 90% of the time which is interesting.

+1. The 2015 HD is totally underrated in my opinion. At 22 mm it is smaller but very dense. I constantly reach for it.

I should add that the 2015 HD and the 1250 make for a great pair!

+1. The 2015 HD is totally underrated in my opinion. At 22 mm it is smaller but very dense. I constantly reach for it.

I should add that the 2015 HD and the 1250 make for a great pair!

I was definitely interested in the 1250 but decided to roll the dice on the SOC first. I could easily see just using the 2015 HD as one's only brush though.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I used the soc today after months on the shelf and whoa that sucker shed about 8-10 bristles.
is that “normal “? I don’t remember this thingbeing a shedder back when I used it.

So a couple months later,

I am really enjoying this 2015 HD silver tip. It is different than my Shavemac badgers in a pleasant way. It’s more springy and less dense which seems to help let the hairs work to build and keep lather.

I honestly reach for it 90% of the time which is interesting. Again I have lots of beautiful artisan brushes to pick from.

It makes me thing the Semogue badger is underrated. It’s affordable at well under $100. It works well with soaps and creams. The handle and size works well for face or bowl lathering. It’s soft enough for my very sensitive skin but not mushy.

Also made me pull the trigger on a low priced SOC from Amazon yesterday. I’ve had a couple before but why not try again. I’m liking the Semogue so much but my 1305 boar is way too mushy. Mostly I have a double brush stand and a matching boar with wood handle would look excellent...

Well, I'm 0 for 2 now on Amazon delivering the right product. Last time I ordered an 1800 and received a 2015 HD. This time I ordered an SOC and received a 2000. That might explain why the price was nearly $20 lower than expected, although I wouldn't have ordered in the first place.

Any ideas what the difference between the SOC and 2000 are? Seems similar on paper. I'd think about keeping it but the handle is big and uncomfortable compared to the SOC.

Take a look at the photo in this post:

I actually prefer my 2000 over my SOC boar.

Well, I'm 0 for 2 now on Amazon delivering the right product. Last time I ordered an 1800 and received a 2015 HD. This time I ordered an SOC and received a 2000. That might explain why the price was nearly $20 lower than expected, although I wouldn't have ordered in the first place.

Any ideas what the difference between the SOC and 2000 are? Seems similar on paper. I'd think about keeping it but the handle is big and uncomfortable compared to the SOC.
I think a big part of the appeal of the SOC is the handle. The feedback on the knot is mixed, but the love for the handle is consistent across all owners.

I used the soc today after months on the shelf and whoa that sucker shed about 8-10 bristles.
is that “normal “? I don’t remember this thingbeing a shedder back when I used it.
None of my four Semogues are shedders. They have barely lost a hair in almost ten years. I have the 2 band, the 2012 hybrid ltd. edition, the 2013 hd limited edition and a boar. Maybe the glue dried out? Too hot or too cold? I'm only guessing.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
None of my four Semogues are shedders. They have barely lost a hair in almost ten years. I have the 2 band, the 2012 hybrid ltd. edition, the 2013 hd limited edition and a boar. Maybe the glue dried out? Too hot or too cold? I'm only guessing.
Hopefully not I had it stored right next to another boar and that was fine. I’ll use it again and see. Thanks for the reply.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I used it a second time. And it looked like just one hair came out. So maybe it’s better

Top Bottom