What's new

The story so far

I have had several shaves, now. Here is my take...

Razor:
Edward Jagger Black Chrome Laser 3D, regular handle

Blades (in order of use):
Astra Blue, Astra Green, Personna, Shark, 7PM. So far, the Personna has done the best. It was only Shark that came close (pun intended).

I am going to give the Astra Green another go next.

The blades other that Personna and Shark, cut me up a bit around the lower neck, especially.

I am still experimenting on prep. I have been putting a bit of Cremo on as a pre shave. I have used the items from the Van Der Hagen $25 bundle (bore brush, soap, and a little stand). I have also tried mixing Cremo, Gillette Pure Cream, and a few drops of Glycerin together and got a GREAT lather. I haven't had the guts yet to not use a pre shave. lol

What I've Learned: My face really needs help with lubrication because it is so dry and sensative. Sharp blades work best on my tough beard.

Is there a consensus here as to what gives the best pre shave lubrication? I'm thinking about making my own oil.

Thank you guys SO MUCH!!!!! You rock!!

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Welcome! Oils can be fantastic. I started with preshave oil, but have since switched to Proraso green preshave (upper right, previous packaging). Love the stuff. The menthol is light and refreshing, and tends to render closer shaves. However, dry sensitive skin isn’t my issue. Your results may vary.

Whatever you choose, please share the results!

5AE0FB5E-1F53-47E8-B164-40880901678A.jpeg

Is there a consensus here as to what gives the best pre shave lubrication? I'm thinking about making my own oil.
Welcome! I think opinions on preshaves are widely varied, but honestly, I think the most common answer is ... water! (I've tried a few preshave products including oils, creams, and glycerin, but didn't really notice much of a difference.). Experimentation is fun, though, and making your own oil would be rewarding in itself. Go for it!

My face really needs help with lubrication because it is so dry and sensative.

For my sensitive (and sometimes dry) skin, I have found these things to really help:
--using synthetic brushes only. They are very soft.
--prepping, shaving, and rinsing with cold water only.
--using a low-volume, very wet lather. I am experimenting with this in particular right now--keeping air out of the lather.

I like @emwolf's suggestion of adding moisture in between shaves as well. I try to keep my skin happy overall, and do the least amount of "work" to it while shaving. I am still learning so much, but this is my approach. Enjoy the journey.

Nick

I second Nick's comment above - add water!
It took me a while to find out that once you have a nice thick lather you need to add water to get give it a sheen. This really helps keep you face slick during the shave, which just helps everything

Thank you for your replies.

I have ordered the Simpson Trafalgar T3 brush and lathering is still a mystery to me. I don't know whether it is too wet, too dry, or if I should put it on apple pie, at this point.

When I think I have a great lather, it seems to be thin on my face. I am thinking the cheap badger brush I have might be the problem.

I appreciate your help and will use water more to my advantage, as you suggest. :thumbup::thumbup:

Nicked78 and others had some good comments. I would suggest looking at the iamcdb bowl lathering tutorial on utube - pick stirling or col conk. It helped me. If it seems wet and thin double the amount of soap and add water slowly. Do some practice lathers and push the soap past its limit and look/feel as it changes with the moisture. I have the t3 and it is great. Proraso pre shave or paa cube work good for me. Good luck - you will get it!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have had several shaves, now. Here is my take...

Razor:
Edward Jagger Black Chrome Laser 3D, regular handle

Blades (in order of use):
Astra Blue, Astra Green, Personna, Shark, 7PM. So far, the Personna has done the best. It was only Shark that came close (pun intended).

I am going to give the Astra Green another go next.

The blades other that Personna and Shark, cut me up a bit around the lower neck, especially.

I am still experimenting on prep. I have been putting a bit of Cremo on as a pre shave. I have used the items from the Van Der Hagen $25 bundle (bore brush, soap, and a little stand). I have also tried mixing Cremo, Gillette Pure Cream, and a few drops of Glycerin together and got a GREAT lather. I haven't had the guts yet to not use a pre shave. lol

What I've Learned: My face really needs help with lubrication because it is so dry and sensative. Sharp blades work best on my tough beard.

Thank you guys SO MUCH!!!!! You rock!!

Consensus is a word which has been banned here. You'll find out why soon enough.

Here's my take on how to take care of my skin and increase the slickness of my shaves. Just click the link right here.

A very wet lather is always a good thing.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Try hair conditioner. I’ve found nothing slicker

Also I would sample some sharper blades

Feather, Nacet, Permasharp, Bic Chrome Platinum

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Add as much water to your lather as you can... slowly. Avoid the air filled meringue type lather that you see in pics/vids. Very photogenic, but lousy for shaving with.

More hints and tips in the first four posts here...

Top Bottom