What's new

The Sprout - B&B Gardening 2014

you rubbed the leaves directly on your skin? That didn't cause any reaction?
Interesting. I'd probably test a small spot first. But if that works then it would be better than the chemical sprays I would think.

Yeah directly on my skin! I thought it might cause a reaction too, the leaves are a little prickly but it all worked out. I'd recommend that others try it on a small spot, I don't want to be to blame for rashes.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yeah directly on my skin! I thought it might cause a reaction too, the leaves are a little prickly but it all worked out. I'd recommend that others try it on a small spot, I don't want to be to blame for rashes.

I'd like to hear if others have tried this. Skeeters bite though clothing though. But maybe if you can get enough leaves and muddle them down and add them to a spray bottle with some water it might work well as a spray.

I keep trying to talk the wife into setting up a garden. I'd love to but she's a little hesitant. I don't think it's going to happen this year, but every time we go to the store I'm going to point out how much we'd save if we didn't have to buy veggies. Maybe that will work.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Replanted what I could. After a week of neglect many did not recover.
The dern squash is blooming!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 137
My vast tomato crop!

$uploadfromtaptalk1401497135608.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1401497135608.jpg

If these stay pest free, it stands to be my biggest and best crop ever. Haven't seen a single aphid this year. Last 3 years have been awful!

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1401497153319.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1401497153319.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 135

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Looks like stuff is coming up OK; we're eatin' onions, radishes, squash, and lettuce now.

Tomatoes are starting to get good size and green now. Don't know how the corn is going to do though.

Need to get out there and pull some more grass that is growing in it, but it still is doing good.

And some wild stuff that is coming up now.

Can you say rinse...and pour some sugar on it?

Nawww...don't need sugar or even rinsing...just pick and eat. When they're ripe.

And here's some Idon'tKnowWhereTheHellThisCameFrom.

I've never grown garlic here, but found this just across the yard fence in the pasture. Cut the scapes off of the 4 plants a couple of weeks ago, which were getting about 4 feet tall and getting some good size seed pods on them. And they are about 30 yards or so away from the garden.

I think I will just leave them the hell alone and see what they do. They seem to be doing well on their own.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Starting to get some stuff up big enough to eat.

Green beans...a few at a time.

Goes good with BACON!

A few cucumbers.

Waiting on the tomatoes to get ripe.

Squash. lettuce, radishes, etc. peeking out.

Corn is getting up pretty good.

Just have to wait a bit for things to ripen up.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My little piece of paradise; served with a Wellington County Dark Ale. 10 tomato plants and 32 basil plants. What was I thinking?
$Slice of paradise.jpg$Slice of paradise-2.jpg$Slice of paradise-3.jpg

I think you were thinking about marinara sauce :)

Hey everyone! It's great to come back after a long break to find another planting thread! I doubled the capacity for my sprouting room this winter, along with expanding and seriously refurbishing the soil in my in-ground space. This year was a major focus on tomatoes and peppers.
My peppers that sprouted this time are: 2 Reaper, 2 Ghost, 2 Scotch Bonnet, 3 Poblano. My tomatoes are: 2 Mortgage Lifters, 3 Cherokee Purples (last year's voted favorite with the fam), 3 Lemon Drop Cherry, and at the request of my new fiancee, 3 Yellow Pear.
The expanded bed is big enough to outpace my sprouting capacity, so I bought a few mini bell pepper plants along with an orange Roma tomato, Sunsweet cherry, and an Indigo Rose purple tomato. In the raised beds I planted the hot peppers in one, and direct seeded Crystal Apple cucumbers and a purple bush bean.
$IMG_1513.jpg
$IMG_1525.jpg
$IMG_1559.jpg
$IMG_1619.jpg
$IMG_1678.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Looks like everyone has some good gardens going...where are the pics. of the fruits of your labor?

Here's a pic. of a Celebrity 'mater (those are starting to get ripe now).

Corn is starting to make, and SWMBO brought in some green beans, cucumbers, and 'maters just a bit ago.

Never done garlic before, but the 4 volunteer ones that came up in the pasture got dug today.

I've heard 3 different ideas on when garlic should be harvested: When the stalks are about 1/3 to 2/3 brown, when they are about all brown, and when the tops fall over.

I went with when the tops are all brown...aww well...they look okay. Bulbs are firm and the skin is not bursting.

Just don't know what to do with the "babies" they put out. Wondering if I left them too long.

Edit: I need to cut some of my jalapenos and serranos, like before yesterday. They are getting LOADED!

Last edited:
Heres my crop this year. Herbs and such are sewn throughout the flowers but theres lots of those too for cooking. Would love to trade some people some peppers this year!

$Garden_A_2014.jpg
$Garden_B_2014.jpg

Last edited:
This is one of my Devil's Tongue plants from last year that i overwintered in a pot. Its not growing very well but it does have some nice peppers that are already ripe. Think it needs some of that super compost.
$IMG_0949.jpg

Lots more growth in the new garden. Tons of peppers, but tomatoes have been minimal. Hopefully theres still time for a few ripe fruits this fall. Also found that my alleged chocolate habaneros are actually just some red ones. Still good, but won't be overwintered. Oh well.

proxy.php

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I didn't get anything planted! :angry: I got to busy.

These gardens look awesome!

$DSC00051.jpg

This is a bit tenuous as we don't have a garden here, just a balcony with a few pots of herbs, but we were recently at our house in France and we went round to our neighbours' place, a pair of retirees with a huge garden. When they discovered that my wife loves tomatoes, they gave us a selection including two "banana tomatoes".

I have never heard of the strain before - they were quite dense and when you cut into them they had really thick, sweet, juicy flesh with few pips. The smaller ones are just cherry tomatoes for scale (and they were really sweet, just eat as a snack, nothing else required).

We made a simple sauce with the banana tomatoes, an onion and some garlic and just cook the BTs down, really great.

Froze three gallons of tomatoes last week, sauce will be nice this winter. Doing as many tomatoes as I can in the dehydrator, I love sun dried tomatoes, great on pizza and in macaroni and cheese. Froze about two gallons each of green beans and sugar snap peas so far this year, not a good year, but I am thinking of doing a second crop (real soon). Need to can/pickle some hungarian wax peppers this week. Cucumbers have been going in a cucumber/onion salad with vinegar,sugar, and dill all summer.

Overall my garden crop wasn't as good as last year, but still more tomatoes and peppers than I can use.

We're positively swimming in yellow pear tomatoes here! The Mortgage Lifters have been late bloomers, but we finally got some to try. The Sunsugars and Lemon Drop cherries have been the next fastest movers. I have yellow roma tomatoes setting, but for some reason that plant is riddled with blossom end rot.

$IMG_1878.jpg
Here's my main harvest of Scotch Bonnet habeneros, with the exception of the pepper on top. That one's a Trinidad Scorpion :)
$IMG_1880.jpg
And my babies, the Carolina Reapers :D
$IMG_1848.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
We're positively swimming in yellow pear tomatoes here! The Mortgage Lifters have been late bloomers, but we finally got some to try. The Sunsugars and Lemon Drop cherries have been the next fastest movers. I have yellow roma tomatoes setting, but for some reason that plant is riddled with blossom end rot.

View attachment 493668
Here's my main harvest of Scotch Bonnet habeneros, with the exception of the pepper on top. That one's a Trinidad Scorpion :)
View attachment 493671
And my babies, the Carolina Reapers :D
View attachment 493674

That's some good lookin' stuff! I'd like to try a Carolina Reaper...I think...maybe...just once. Would one of those be enough for 20 gallons of chili?

The end rot on your 'maters may be caused by not enough calcium. SWMBO had a few tomato plants in planters (besides what was in the regular garden) with the watering thing underneath that held water. She put a couple of Tums tablets in the water. Also could be too much water, variation in the amount of water they're getting, or maybe too much nitrogen in the soil. That's just a thought.

We're about done with the garden this year except for the load of peppers I need to pick. The habanero, jalapeno, and serrano peppers are still putting out real good. We ate all of the lettuce and radishes, but here's a pic. of some of the stuff we canned: Pickled squash, cucumbers, okra, salsa, tomato juice, green beans, etc. We also have some corn we scraped off of the cob in the chest freezer.

Attachments

• $062.JPG
    $062.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 35
Top Bottom