What's new

The Sprout 2021

I know it’s early and much of the country is covered in snow but I just got some seeds delivered and I’m excited.
CC184A06-E006-4E08-A68C-7DBA47B5D878.jpeg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have my seeds ready to go, too. Now that this freeze-a-rama is passing, I'll have the garden ready to plant in what I hope is short order.

Wow that's awesome! When did you start?

thanks-I’ve enjoyed growing things since little.

This has been used on and off for a few years. I set back up a year ago, or just short of, after recovering from covid in March/20. We currently have cut and come again pickings for kale, spinach, dill, calendula, holy Basil (tulsi tea). About three to five weeks on most of it in some recycled soil which seemed to be lacking or in excess of something, thwarting the initial growth. Its finally starting to take off. I may have to adjust the photoperiod. It is short for a separate reason but can soon be changed. In here, some sunflowers were seeded, and I’m growing white clover elsewhee for using as soil cover and for fixing nitrogen. Will collect it’s seeds. Other containers filled below these are for some larger kale plants later, instead of for cutting baby greens, and I’ll soon try to sprout some Datil peppers...try and get some of them started to go outside.

thanks-I’ve enjoyed growing things since little.

This has been used on and off for a few years. I set back up a year ago, or just short of, after recovering from covid in March/20. We currently have cut and come again pickings for kale, spinach, dill, calendula, holy Basil (tulsi tea). About three to five weeks on most of it in some recycled soil which seemed to be lacking or in excess of something, thwarting the initial growth. Its finally starting to take off. I may have to adjust the photoperiod. It is short for a separate reason but can soon be changed. In here, some sunflowers were seeded, and I’m growing white clover elsewhee for using as soil cover and for fixing nitrogen. Will collect it’s seeds. Other containers filled below these are for some larger kale plants later, instead of for cutting baby greens, and I’ll soon try to sprout some Datil peppers...try and get some of them started to go outside.
Nice, I started gardening last year with a bunch of hot peppers. I enjoy spicy food a lot, I am growing 12 varieties this year.

We are picking some vegetables and herbs right now. First, we have some cilantro. The photos were taken two weeks ago and everything has grown some since then.
1613774684436.png

Peas are growing. In addition, we have picked our first Jalapeno peppers and arugula. Saturday we will get our first tomatoes. My wife has used some basil and parsley.
1613774825701.png

1613774852827.png

When I lived in NJ I had a huge garden but now use raised beds.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m gonna need a new tiller this year. Not sure what kind to get yet. Just know it’s gotta be beefy.

we got some seeds going inside already. Peppers mostly.

I am rebuilding my garden beds. The old ones were made from reclaimed wood and were getting pretty ragged after 17 years. I’ve got the first two in and two more will be done this weekend. These are 2 feet wide and 8 feet long. I’ll probably add more in the future.
4A57608F-E7FA-4A5E-8514-76DB510DD075.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am rebuilding my garden beds. The old ones were made from reclaimed wood and were getting pretty ragged after 17 years. I’ve got the first two in and two more will be done this weekend. These are 2 feet wide and 8 feet long. I’ll probably add more in the future.
View attachment 1225641
Man, I'd kill for your growing season! Happy sowing and growing my friend!

FarmerTan

I’m gonna need a new tiller this year. Not sure what kind to get yet. Just know it’s gotta be beefy.

we got some seeds going inside already. Peppers mostly.
Look into a used Troybilt.

And don't forget the canning lids EARLY this year! I've seen some out for sale here in Michigan last week. Crazy.

FarmerTan

We are picking some vegetables and herbs right now. First, we have some cilantro. The photos were taken two weeks ago and everything has grown some since then.
View attachment 1225548

Peas are growing. In addition, we have picked our first Jalapeno peppers and arugula. Saturday we will get our first tomatoes. My wife has used some basil and parsley.
View attachment 1225550

View attachment 1225551

When I lived in NJ I had a huge garden but now use raised beds.
That's the last straw! You WILL be having a Michigan transplant living next to you soon! Today was the "nicest" day here in two weeks, and it was 29°, cloudy, and 18" of snow on my garden.

FarmerTan

Dave, here is our weather forecast for the week

View attachment 1225719
I'm actually leaving for Fla on Monday... But it is most definitely NOT the place that my descendants will be hauling my bones from for burial!
As my good friend Steve Martin once said about King Tut, I too am destined to move to Arizona. Maybe I'll just live in a pyramid there?

I'm actually leaving for Fla on Monday... But it is most definitely NOT the place that my descendants will be hauling my bones from for burial!
As my good friend Steve Martin once said about King Tut, I too am destined to move to Arizona. Maybe I'll just live in a pyramid there?

Where in Florida? I lived there for more than 10 years (Delray Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and St. Petersburg).

FarmerTan

Where in Florida? I lived there for more than 10 years (Delray Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and St. Petersburg).
In the middle. Last time I was there it was right smack dab in the middle of an orange grove: near Frostproof, or Frost Proof, Babson Park....also not REAL far from Winter Haven.

A beautiful state, just not the place for my lungs with it's humidity in the summer...
I'm kinda in a tough spot for actually completely leaving Michigan, so I suppose Fla is an option for around 4 months of the year, but I'd really rather prefer Arizona. And the War Department is okay with that.

In the middle. Last time I was there it was right smack dab in the middle of an orange grove: near Frostproof, or Frost Proof, Babson Park....also not REAL far from Winter Haven.

A beautiful state, just not the place for my lungs with it's humidity in the summer...
I'm kinda in a tough spot for actually completely leaving Michigan, so I suppose Fla is an option for around 4 months of the year, but I'd really rather prefer Arizona. And the War Department is okay with that.

My wife misses FL since she lived there for 20 years. However, I don't miss it although I still have family - and an ex who lives there.

Top Bottom