What's new

The Sprout 2020

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It's another year another garden. So what have you guys got growing or planed.

My garden was a bit later in planting than normal. The cheap poly tunnel I've had for a few years now is now ripped and I've given up the ghost on it.

Growing a dozen tomatoes and few pepper plants in what's left of the poly tunnel.

20200203_163450.jpg

20200203_163526.jpg

Planting the tomatoes a few weeks late did not effect things much but the peppers could have gone in a few weeks earlier. The bhut jolokia is slowly getting there.

20200203_163516.jpg

Planted the outside later than the poly and also than I normally would but having them staggered works well for when the tomatoes ripen.

20200203_163644.jpg

The weeds need some attention, well some of it anyway. The mint grows like weeds, that can stay.

20200203_163627.jpg

20200203_163610.jpg

The wife rang me today saying the dog was eating some tomatoes off the plant. He just helped himself but was only eating the ones the birds had got to, so no biggie.
He sure likes his tomatoes.

20200203_164026.jpg

Well it is hard to beat a home grown tomato.

20200203_164109.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, your poly tunnel has lasted quite a few years and its done it's job. Nice looking spring onions (green onions). Dogs will eat just about anything except a heart worm pill.

Right now I'm just germinating tomatoes, peppers and some herbs like dill and chives. We have had very little winter here in Central Texas so my lettuce, kale and beets have done really well with few bugs.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I should plant a few winter plants myself.

I got more years out of the poly tunnel than I thought it would last, so can't complain.
Our summer has been pretty mild here, so may be in for a mild winter as well.

I've also got a few Jalapeno and a Habanero in pots.

20200203_163350.jpg

20200203_163400.jpg

The wife has a few flowers around the place.

20200203_163719.jpg

20200203_163417.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Time to start picking seeds for the new year. We did a few heirloom tomatoes last year . . . Can't say they were a success. Just not enough light and the limited growing season hurt. We planted fewer cucumbers and somehow by planting fewer ended up with more. Moving back more toward zucchini. I think this year I want to plant some multi coloured carrots and maybe some beets.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Last week in March for me. Till up the winter growth and add the mushroom compost. Then we plant.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
You guys are off to a good start. April 7 is our 'safe' day here but I always start a week early. I've considered starting some in the garage or basement but don't really have adequate lighting.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
You guys are off to a good start. April 7 is our 'safe' day here but I always start a week early. I've considered starting some in the garage or basement but don't really have adequate lighting.
I bought some T5 grow lights. They offer lots of light and heat.

20200229_133411.jpg

Some of the baby kale was used last night in a soup. I see a Datil sprout is also up this morning, and more recently planted kales and lettuces are coming in. I also planted five or six garlic cloves, in one container.

E3C54860-4A18-4EE8-9E51-F8BA8A0D775A.jpeg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Just pulled some golden beets from the garden. I've really done nothing to the winter garden this year due to mild temperatures and plenty of rain. Just leave it alone is what I've learned.

20200311_115912.jpg

I peeled back some mulch over part of fifty or so Garlic cloves planted in mid December. They are coming up. I dressed them and the rest with bone meal in some fox farms planting mix, then recovered them. I have tomthen lay fallen branches over the areas to keep the rabbits from gnawing at the fresh shoots as some of the first spring greens.

Some bed Buffalo grass and planting clean up made enough fodder for the pile so got mixed some.

I’ll be readying some space next for potatoes. I had good results with some late summer planted ones in the edge of the compost pile last year, so I am going to do a larger area this year for more varieties.

I’ve culled some kale from the indoor grow and thinned out those plants to what will continue. I know grow conditions can make a difference but the Siberian Improved seems to have more mustard heat then the Scotch Curled or dwarf curly blue. Datils were a fail in the tent so far, but I’ll try again with a heat mat, perhaps.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I peeled back some mulch over part of fifty or so Garlic cloves planted in mid December. They are coming up. I dressed them and the rest with bone meal in some fox farms planting mix, then recovered them. I have tomthen lay fallen branches over the areas to keep the rabbits from gnawing at the fresh shoots as some of the first spring greens.

Some bed Buffalo grass and planting clean up made enough fodder for the pile so got mixed some.

I’ll be readying some space next for potatoes. I had good results with some late summer planted ones in the edge of the compost pile last year, so I am going to do a larger area this year for more varieties.

I’ve culled some kale from the indoor grow and thinned out those plants to what will continue. I know grow conditions can make a difference but the Siberian Improved seems to have more mustard heat then the Scotch Curled or dwarf curly blue. Datils were a fail in the tent so far, but I’ll try again with a heat mat, perhaps.
Siberian Improved? Explain the vareity please.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Did some planting today. Around 60 altogether, peppers, tomatoes, squash, and zucchini. No okra or cucumbers available yet. Got the irrigation ditches dug but won't be able to install the soakers until later this week.

Top Bottom