What's new

The Sprout 2020

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have never in my life seen one at anytime or anywhere other than on a tomato plant. I don’t get it. Where are they the other times? When we don’t have tomatoes planted they are gone. You’ll never find one. All a sudden plant a tomato plant and you’ll see them daily. What the heck.

Get some Sevin Dust, David. Sprinkle it on your plants as needed. Unless you are trying to go organic then get some Neem Oil. It’s naturally found in the Neem tree. It’s a good pesticide. We use both. We get the Neem in concentrate and mix it in a sprayer.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I'm not seeing nearly as many bees this year but my stuff seems to be getting pollinated well enough anyway. Cucumbers are finally starting to climb and produce. Okra finally started to grow. That late frost only got one of them, 11 plants survived. Going to be a bumper crop of Romas this year.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm not seeing nearly as many bees this year but my stuff seems to be getting pollinated well enough anyway. Cucumbers are finally starting to climb and produce. Okra finally started to grow. That late frost only got one of them, 11 plants survived. Going to be a bumper crop of Romas this year.
Check this thread I started for mason bees. These are very active and with a little house like that really brings in the pollinators.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Yes, they work well. Here's mine that I brought back from China a few years ago.
7CE70FCF-9E64-4A7C-ABFF-7023AB1C8096.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have never in my life seen one at anytime or anywhere other than on a tomato plant. I don’t get it. Where are they the other times? When we don’t have tomatoes planted they are gone. You’ll never find one. All a sudden plant a tomato plant and you’ll see them daily. What the heck.

Get some Sevin Dust, David. Sprinkle it on your plants as needed. Unless you are trying to go organic then get some Neem Oil. It’s naturally found in the Neem tree. It’s a good pesticide. We use both. We get the Neem in concentrate and mix it in a sprayer.
Your post reminded me of something: I found one a few years ago eating a wild plant IN MY DITCH! Amazed me. I'll have to look up that plant. It had tiny little red fruits on it, like the smallest little tomato you can imagine, about the size of a pea, dog gone! Had to be in the morning shade family.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Your post reminded me of something: I found one a few years ago eating a wild plant IN MY DITCH! Amazed me. I'll have to look up that plant. It had tiny little red fruits on it, like the smallest little tomato you can imagine, about the size of a pea, dog gone! Had to be in the morning shade family.
Chili tepin maybe.

FarmerTan

Or NIGHTSHADE family. Lol, don't get old, folks!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It had tiny little red fruits on it, like the smallest little tomato you can imagine, about the size of a pea, dog gone! Had to be in the morning shade family.

I wouldn't be surprised if it grew from a seed that came from a hybrid tomato. You can get all sorts of wacky stuff popping up from those.

FarmerTan

I wouldn't be surprised if it grew from a seed that came from a hybrid tomato. You can get all sorts of wacky stuff popping up from those.
That's also entirely possible. It's also why I'm worried about the seeds I harvested from the "Pat's" tomato last year. She told me it was just a variety she developed. Who knows? I have a friend who I'm giving a plant to, and I've got several myself.

I've kicked myself over the years for letting some interesting "volunteer" tomatoes come up that I didn't propagate. Live and learn, ha. I've also had some that were absolutely beautiful and tasted like absolutely nothing! Weird, but to be expected.

I
Back when my hearing was better, I heard this "munching" noise coming from my tomato plants! I found one of those things that seemed to be as long as my arm, and I screamed like a little girl! I have ALWAYS been creeped out by those things.
I had one on my patio planting one year in a condo. Not wanting it to eat the plant, I gave it to a five year old neighbor boy to grow out in a box and see what became of it. His mom objected and had him return it to my plants, unknown to me. It stripped the plant.

FarmerTan

I

I had one on my patio planting one year in a condo. Not wanting it to eat the plant, I gave it to a five year old neighbor boy to grow out in a box and see what became of it. His mom objected and had him return it to my plants, unknown to me. It stripped the plant.
Sounds like an episode of "Dennis the Menace!"

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
They can make short work of a plant. I had one almost completely strip a 6' tall Rutger's Heirloom in a day. Now when I see one, they die.

FarmerTan

They can make short work of a plant. I had one almost completely strip a 6' tall Rutger's Heirloom in a day. Now when I see one, they die.
I really hate touching them; they look like a monster in a 1950's movie to me!

So the next one I see I will be dispatched with a BB gun.

Top Bottom