What's new

The Sprout 2020

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm not an expert....I bet you don't even have to plant it. Roots will grow through the other side and in to the ground I'm sure. If you are careful you might be able to cut the sprouts off and plant them. I'd try that if I wanted to grow a few more trees from it.
Yeah, I have an electric chain saw that I'm going to get creative with on that log. I may be able to get about 4 or more trees out of it. There are more leaves coming out of the other side.... I may though just pluck them off, dip them in rooting hormone and plant.

The funny thing is I have two little Walnut trees exactly 60 feet apart. I had 3, exactly 30 feet apart: unfortunately, one of those long legged white tailed rats pulled the middle one out the first winter!

The log pictured is from my recently deceased dad in law's property. He only had one tree, probably got it for free from the Arbor Day folks. He told me he had exactly on nut off of it in forty years! So I'd really like to get one start off of it. Maybe my son will get some nuts off it, or his kids. I doubt I'll live long enough...but it's nice when trees have a story behind them. It'd be nice if the 300 year old white oak on the corner of my property could talk!

Hi Dave (@FarmerTan),
You can make a rooting solution for propagating plants out of Willow branch tips because they have a high amount of auxins (growth hormones) in them. Salicylic acid (why I take willow bark for headaches) and Indolebutyric acid, a couple.

I was sanding some trimmed willow branches for assembling a trellis the other day and recalled your question here.

Here is a sprouting stake after a few days, that I placed to mark some garlic. The link below has some discussion on the rooting habits for your thoughts on growing them out.

79E290B7-28B2-42D0-ACCF-3257DA3D699C.jpeg

Home Made Plant Rooting Hormone – Willow Water - https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-instructions/home-made-plant-rooting-hormone-willow-water/

FarmerTan

Hi Dave (@FarmerTan),
You can make a rooting solution for propagating plants out of Willow branch tips because they have a high amount of auxins (growth hormones) in them. Salicylic acid (why I take willow bark for headaches) and Indolebutyric acid, a couple.

I was sanding some trimmed willow branches for assembling a trellis the other day and recalled your question here.

Here is a sprouting stake after a few days, that I placed to mark some garlic. The link below has some discussion on the rooting habits for your thoughts on growing them out.

View attachment 1107728

Home Made Plant Rooting Hormone – Willow Water - https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/diy-instructions/home-made-plant-rooting-hormone-willow-water/
Thanks so much for doing the leg work! I put those Walnut logs in water to keep them alive. Amazing! They are completely looking like I knew what I was doing. I have a Willow tree out by a creek in my woods I'm going to go harvest some tips off of today! Thanks again, Dave

Well, turns out I was mistaken in thinking you had a willow sprouting. I donkt know if the walnut will form a good root structure to support the tree long or not. Willows form a broad mat. Walnuts seem to send down a tap root in contrast, from all the wild ones I pull that squirrels buried. So long as it isn't a fall risk to the a structure, I too’d (can I do that?) likely leave it go and see what happens.

FarmerTan

IMG_20200601_145601784.jpgIMG_20200601_145608699.jpg
Not sure if I'll just throw these in the ground or not. I'm AMAZED by the new growth since I put them in the buckets. Those logs just sucked up the water.

My garlics are starting with the sending up of their scapes. I’ve a question for those who use them. Do you cut them off at first site, or let them develop a to a fuller bulblet, for a more preferred state for use in dishes? What is most appealing, were I to gather them to pass around to neighbors. I don't expect I will use them, preferring cloves myself

Thanks for your thoughts.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Zukes went wild while we were off camping for a week. Picked 4 zukes and two yellow squash last night. Most of the tomatoes are taking off. Okra is finally starting to grow. Most of the different types of peppers have started to produce except the tabascos. They are lagging but maybe due to the late frost. Cukes are starting to climb the fence. Herbs are going so-so.

Need to get out there and get my 'scarecrow' set up. Lots of crows starting to hang around.

FarmerTan

IMG_20200613_142431505_HDR.jpg

The above photo is some "baby" tomatoes that I "planted" last fall by burying a rotten tomato! It's an "unobtainium" in that the place I used to buy this plant was sold, and they no longer carry it! The owner developed it, and just sold it locally. I'm SO glad I saved some seeds. Only ONE plant germinated in the house, and I transplanted it today. I hope it survives. These I will break up this week and plant some in the garden, and some out by the chicken's coop.

If they produce, I will make sure any of you here that want get some seeds after the harvest.

I spoke with the lady that developed these at length years ago. I was led to believe that they are open pollinated, but last year, after she sold out, the label said "hybrid" on it. She obviously wasn't around to ask last year, and this year the kids working the stand had none for sale, and looked at me as if I had two heads when I mentioned this tomato.

Years ago ALL of her veggie and flowers were started by her, by hand. Labels hand written, etc. A few years ago she was obviously upset that her customer base was complaining about the small price increase she was forced to make. Last year the labels were all mass produced, as they are are this year, and the plants, sadly.

So, long story, sorry. I hope that these seeds are truly open pollinated and not hybrid, but I won't know until I taste them!

So sorry for the rambling my green thumbed friends! If I can find a picture on my TracFone here from last year's harvest I will post it.

Best regards, the Tanned Farmer Dave

Attachments

• IMG_20200519_143613945_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200519_143613945_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3

FarmerTan

View attachment 1112886
The above photo is some "baby" tomatoes that I "planted" last fall by burying a rotten tomato! It's an "unobtainium" in that the place I used to buy this plant was sold, and they no longer carry it! The owner developed it, and just sold it locally. I'm SO glad I saved some seeds. Only ONE plant germinated in the house, and I transplanted it today. I hope it survives. These I will break up this week and plant some in the garden, and some out by the chicken's coop.

If they produce, I will make sure any of you here that want get some seeds after the harvest.

I spoke with the lady that developed these at length years ago. I was led to believe that they are open pollinated, but last year, after she sold out, the label said "hybrid" on it. She obviously wasn't around to ask last year, and this year the kids working the stand had none for sale, and looked at me as if I had two heads when I mentioned this tomato.

Years ago ALL of her veggie and flowers were started by her, by hand. Labels hand written, etc. A few years ago she was obviously upset that her customer base was complaining about the small price increase she was forced to make. Last year the labels were all mass produced, as they are are this year, and the plants, sadly.

So, long story, sorry. I hope that these seeds are truly open pollinated and not hybrid, but I won't know until I taste them!

So sorry for the rambling my green thumbed friends! If I can find a picture on my TracFone here from last year's harvest I will post it.

Best regards, the Tanned Farmer Dave
Sorry folks for the last irrelevant photo of the road!

FarmerTan

I honestly didn't expect my garden to do anything last year: I could not get in my garden due to flooding. I had some plants on the front porch, but it was under water! So I waded into the mess and made hills and put my "mater's" in the middle of the hill and left that day for my brother's wedding down in Tennessee. This was about the middle of June, so I was not worried about the harvest: with a name like Farmer Tan you know I'm used to bad years! That is why I'm not worrying this year either. Have you folks noticed any changes in your seasons? Specifically, how much later a killing frost hits in the Fall of the year. I remember my gardening as being done by around September 15th at the latest. Now I've had years where I can get into nearly mid November and find ripening tomatoes!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I honestly didn't expect my garden to do anything last year: I could not get in my garden due to flooding. I had some plants on the front porch, but it was under water! So I waded into the mess and made hills and put my "mater's" in the middle of the hill and left that day for my brother's wedding down in Tennessee. This was about the middle of June, so I was not worried about the harvest: with a name like Farmer Tan you know I'm used to bad years! That is why I'm not worrying this year either. Have you folks noticed any changes in your seasons? Specifically, how much later a killing frost hits in the Fall of the year. I remember my gardening as being done by around September 15th at the latest. Now I've had years where I can get into nearly mid November and find ripening tomatoes!
I have not really notice any huge swings in the seasons here in Central Texas since the early 70's. 1 season here in Texas, hot in the summer hot in the Winter.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m seriously looking in to that for next year. I heard laying down newspaper and cardboard will control the weeds for next year. Or planting winter wheat will act as weed control.

FarmerTan

@DoctorShavegood : EXACTLY!

I have been trying to convince my wife of this for more than 10 years.

Her Dad was the one who taught me to mulch, and we've done it for 32 years. Then when I went through his books I found an old book that explains why it's a good idea. I want to say that the lady's name was "Stout"? that wrote it. She was a big proponent of the theory in the 50's or 70's, I can't remember anything useful anymore. Ugh. I don't recommend brain bleeds, lol!

Anyway, my wife is ALMOST convinced to try it, next year.

One thing we started about 10 years ago was leaving one 7th of the ground fallow every year. The Israelites did this according to the Old Testament. The idea of giving the land a rest. We started just moving our compost area every year.

The idea worked. Made crop rotation easier too. One thing for sure about the no till method: it'll be easier to remember where you planted everything!

FarmerTan

Just found this moocher on one of my tomato plants. 🤬View attachment 1114892
Back when my hearing was better, I heard this "munching" noise coming from my tomato plants! I found one of those things that seemed to be as long as my arm, and I screamed like a little girl! I have ALWAYS been creeped out by those things.

Top Bottom