What's new

The Sprout 2018

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
There was a bit more lemons on the tree than I thought.

20181007_133726.jpg

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I fertilised the lemon and lime tree with sheep pellets, meat & bone meal and a citrus fertiliser.
The birds and my dogs won't leave it alone.

Gave the kaffir lime tree a some pruning and it gave me a good fight. Man that's a thorny beast.
I got a couple of small limes for the first time last year but this time it is starting its spring growth with a good amount of flowers. It always loses all its leaves at the start of winter. I'll start picking and storing leaves for winter this year.

View attachment 917767

Time to take all of the lemons off the tree and let it grow a bit more size again for spring.

View attachment 917768

Got the tomatoes in the ground in the poly tunnel today. So it begins. :)

View attachment 917769

I had no idea that Kaffir lime trees were thorny. Learned something new, thanks.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Leftover from pizza night. For the raw tomato sauce put Amish paste tomatoes through the food mil then put the results in a sieve to separate the pulp from the liquid, the separated liquid turned out to be a thick & very tasty juice.

//////////////////////View attachment 917452
//////////////////////dave

Looks like the makings of an outstanding bloody mary!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I had no idea that Kaffir lime trees were thorny. Learned something new, thanks.

When I bought it I knew very little about the tree.
What drew me to it was I love Thai food and the leaves are used in their cooking.
Then I found out that the Thai people don't use the lime juice for cooking, as they find it too acidic and bitter. Instead the lime juice is used for cleaning product. The use the leaves and the zest of the lime only. I'm curious to try the lime myself. Hmmmm lemon, lime and bitters, no need for added bitters. :)
I almost gave up on the tree, as it had not yielded any limes after 6 or 8 years??? of being planted.
Then I read that they need to get to a certain size, with so many leaves before it will fruit.
So I've not trimmed it and resisted taking leaves off it. The past few years it's been feed more and watered more in summers.
It starts to lose it leaves late autumn but in the right conditions it should not do that. I believe it is the amount of rain and lower temps it does not like. All good as soon as spring comes it's back into life.

I've also got a young Tahitian lime tree and that should be my limes for juice when it starts fruiting. That's some years away but you need a long term plan.

Pulled the first 3' row of mixed carrots i planted. Cool looking results but not holding out much hope for very much in the way of flavour based on past experience, plans afoot... Still a couple more rows in the ground planted at intervals through the summer.

file1.jpeg
file.jpeg
dave

Last edited:
Thanks Marty, some colours tasted quite reasonable, some poor. Ya win some ya lose some.

Killer frost warning for tonight so stripped the tomato plants. ~80 good sized tomatoes from ripe to green, then a bowl of dozens of green Indigo Blue Berries, plants were still flowering and over 400 tomatoes from the two plants already consumed.

file3.jpeg
file2-1.jpeg

dave

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I love tomatoes!!
I eat them as is!

It’s frozen over the last two days. People have pulled out their heavy coats. I’m serious.
Mid 50’s today!!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My tomatoes are coming along. I think they liked the cooler weather because there are flowers all over. However it's been raining non-stop for almost 30 days. We'll see how they like so much moisture. I've trimmed all the lower stems and staked everything.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I was gone for about 2 weeks and like Aaron said, its been raining in these parts for about a month virtually non stop. Returning to my garden...peppers still going. The Ghost has officially taken over the whole 4x8ft bed now, and then some. I noticed some interesting purple coloring on the young ghost peppers, I dont recall seeing that before. I think next year I might go back to a simple herb garden, I just dont have the room for these full grown monsters. They have laid waste to just about everything in their path lol.

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 4.03.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 4.06.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 4.06.49 PM.png

Top Bottom