What's new

The Sprout 2018

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I guess I'm used to it. I just hate spending money on good dirt and manure for little production.
All of my lettuce survived, the spinach, pak choy, arugula and cabbage. I picked all the greens beans the day before so I have some to eat. All be looking at my catalogs for seed to buy for Spring. It's really not that far away to start thinking about what seeds will need to be germinated.

Glad some stuff was saved, and all good stuff too!

Seeds? These just arrived this week...

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 2.41.52 PM.png

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I hate it when winter comes early. Sorry to hear of the crops fading early.

I've had a mixed luck start to my season.
My 10 tomato plants in the poly are doing well but lost about 6 tomato seedling that I raised for outside. I put them out in the poly tunnel a few weeks back not long after they germinated.
Jack Frost came to visit. :( Lesson learnt for next time.
Not all bad though as I just went a bought a few seedlings from the garden centre.

Poly tomatoes and some freshly planted basil.

20181114_183324.jpg

Rubbish photo but the outside tomatoes. The wife want to leave the mint in and plant the tomatoes around them. Happy wife and all that...….but I still don't like it. Oh well I have too many anyway. :)

20181114_183346.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I had a dream about the garden last night! Oh no! In my dream I was building raised bed boxes. And filing them in with Miracle Grow potting soil. It’s not even close to that time of the year!!!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I took advantage of the nice weather yesterday to do some fall clean-up and prepare the bed for spring...

Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 10.22.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 10.22.53 AM.png

After removing the pepper plants I could asses their aftermath. The rosemary, common sage, onion chives, and thyme couldn't compete and were dead. The parsley and garlic chives made it though, as well as the berggarten sage and Mexican oregano.

I added 3 cart loads of homemade compost to bring the bed back up to level, about 1/2 yard of material.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I took advantage of the nice weather yesterday to do some fall clean-up and prepare the bed for spring...

View attachment 928846 View attachment 928847

After removing the pepper plants I could asses their aftermath. The rosemary, common sage, onion chives, and thyme couldn't compete and were dead. The parsley and garlic chives made it though, as well as the berggarten sage and Mexican oregano.

I added 3 cart loads of homemade compost to bring the bed back up to level, about 1/2 yard of material.
Don't you just love your cart? I've got a Gorilla cart and it's better than any wheelbarrow.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The last of the chili paquin. They will go to the sister-in-law who is Hispanic. She'll know what to do with them.

20181216_161028.jpg

Yesterday I harvested the first few Japanese turnip. They are just about the size of a golf ball. Also picked a few radishes and a Myers lemon. Made a turnip, radish salad with green onion. Dressed it with lemon, olive oil and salt. Nice side salad to go with a tuna melt.

Nice Aaron, i've had one of those since 2011, was sitting in it's box on the porch the day i came home from brain surgery, had to assemble immediately, not a good idea... my wife did put it to good use that year...

Works great as long as the leaves are dry, wet ones clog up the works although it's easy enough to remedy, just a bit of a hassle.

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice Aaron, i've had one of those since 2011, was sitting in it's box on the porch the day i came home from brain surgery, had to assemble immediately, not a good idea... my wife did put it to good use that year...

Works great as long as the leaves are dry, wet ones clog up the works although it's easy enough to remedy, just a bit of a hassle.

dave
All the leaves on the trees have fallen into a rainy mess. I'll have to wait for a dry wind. The neighbor has given two bags of wonderful leaves and they're in my garage. In return I've given tomatoes and lettuce. It's a symbiosis.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My aunt and uncles Meyer lemon tree. They gave me a bunch to take home. The tree is about 10 years old. It started to produce in the 3rd and 4th year. They are truly a different flavor and not as acidic as what comes from the market.
20181225_155942.jpg
20181225_155948.jpg
20181225_155953.jpg

Top Bottom