What's new

The specific gravity collection

This I think is looking like quite a good example of something I've said previously about SG often being a very useful way to ID stones. I got something recently that I suspected was WoA, but I'd never had a stone from the Enterkine quarry, so wasn't sure.

Mine also measures 2.72 (or 2.716 to be precise), and that's quite significantly lower than other other similar looking type of whetstone; Yellow Lakes, other similar slates, Late Dark Blue Thuris are all over 2.8.

This I think is looking like quite a good example of something I've said previously about SG often being a very useful way to ID stones. I got something recently that I suspected was WoA, but I'd never had a stone from the Enterkine quarry, so wasn't sure.

Mine also measures 2.72 (or 2.716 to be precise), and that's quite significantly lower than other other similar looking type of whetstone; Yellow Lakes, other similar slates, Late Dark Blue Thuris are all over 2.8.

My WoA came in at

9632ED0A-B21A-4544-8133-AC014C71F59B.jpeg

SG group 16Nov2022.jpg

From left to right, and top to bottom

1 - random black slate that came in an auction lot - 2.79
2 - suspected La Lune or Vosgienne or Vermont slate; don't really know - 2.82
3 - (arrived today; clean but someone used without oil) Norton black trans ark - 2.66
4 - trans ark with the stealth Norton stamp - 2.64
5 - suspected La Dressante Upper Layer coticule bout - 3.39 (prior measured SG = 3.39)
6 - Unknown layer parallelogram coticule bout - 3.25 (prior measured SG = 3.21)

I had prior numbers on all of these except for the trans black. Everything came out identical, or within 0.01 SG of my prior readings except for the parallelogram bout. Even those two bout numbers are close to each other. I keep a spreadsheet on my stones and SG is one of the things that I've recorded.

View attachment 1557837

From left to right, and top to bottom

1 - random black slate that came in an auction lot - 2.79
2 - suspected La Lune or Vosgienne or Vermont slate; don't really know - 2.82
3 - (arrived today; clean but someone used without oil) Norton black trans ark - 2.66
4 - trans ark with the stealth Norton stamp - 2.64
5 - suspected La Dressante Upper Layer coticule bout - 3.39 (prior measured SG = 3.39)
6 - Unknown layer parallelogram coticule bout - 3.25 (prior measured SG = 3.21)

I had prior numbers on all of these except for the trans black. Everything came out identical, or within 0.01 SG of my prior readings except for the parallelogram bout. Even those two bout numbers are close to each other. I keep a spreadsheet on my stones and SG is one of the things that I've recorded.
Very nice rock pile. Those Nortons are something special, and id like to find a 6x2 black hard ark from them. I think the purple one is a la lune of a Welsh slate. One of the 2 I've seen with that drill hole looking piece on the side(or center bottom) but I don't know what it's from. I've seen them on washitas and coticules too, but if that stone is really fast I'd put my money on a la lune.

A few measured today (@Wid @ables)...

Dragon's Tongue - 2.80
Dark Blue Yellow Lake - 2.75
Grey-Blue Yellow Lake - 2.73/2.74
Enterkine Water of Ayr - 2.73

The reading for the Dark Blue YL is quite low here. Normally they're up around 2.80 like the DT, which is unsurprsing as they're from the same quarry.

---

Thuri (The later, very dark, slightly mottled type that often come in little wooden boxes) - 2.87
Thuri (An Escher, it's kinda grey / blue) - 2.76
Thuri (Lighter coloured, probably YG or BG) - 2.85
Thuri (Big 10x2 YG) - 2.84

Thuringian densities are all over the place ime, I've had them as low as 2.67 up to about 2.88. And they don't really seem to correlate with colour or hardness, except that the very dark, later period stones are always at the high end. Lighter coloured stones can be high or low.

Reactions: Wid
Measured a bunch of stuff ahead of doing some experimenting this weekend.

IMG-5571.jpg

IMG-5578 (1).jpg

Asano Koma - 2.04
Old barbershop Mikawa nagura - 1.97
Bright white Tam - 2.46
White Tam O'Shanter - 2.49

Fiddich River - 2.73
Stripey weird Charnley - 2.70
Moughton - 2.57
Okudo Suita - 2.47
Spotty weird Charnley - 2.69
Uchigumori - 2.49