What's new

The Speakeasy Acquisitions 2021

Summer is over here and I have packed away the Bourbon and Tequila :(
Time for Single Malt and similar :)

@Multum in parvo

Spent some time training in Bamburg (3rd Amor), Vilseck (2nd Cav.), Granfenwohr and Wildflecken (Winter Training), early 80's. Even spent some time at Garmisch-Partenkirchen, learned to Ski there. Beautiful place, not enough words to describe the charm...

I think I kind of understand the switch from lighter to heavier during winter. The Monastery Monk liquid bread for Winter, if I recall correctly. You will have to excuse my ignorance here, can you elaborate more on this subject as I am very curious?

Last edited:
I have recently tried Rye (Redemption) and found it very agreeable. How is Rittenhouse compared to Redemption? Don't recall seeing this at Total Wine either... An ABC find?
Only tried half an ounce last night. I don’t see using it for anything other than mixing. Not a sipper. I picked both bottles up at ABC. Total Wine is across the river for me, so I go there less frequently.

@Multum in parvo

Spent some time training in Bamburg (3rd Amor), Vilseck (2nd Cav.), Granfenwohr and Wildflecken (Winter Training), early 80's. Even spent some time at Garmisch-Partenkirchen, learned to Ski there. Beautiful place, not enough words to describe the charm...

I think I kind of understand the switch from lighter to heavier during winter. The Monastery Monk liquid bread for Winter, if I recall correctly. You will have to excuse my ignorance here, can you elaborate more on this subject as I am very curious?
Are you referring to Bock or Doppelbock beers? Lots of breweries do these seasonal strong beers with high ABV. I’m partial to Trappist beers like the Belgian Chimay but there is also an excellent Trappist brewery in Austria - Stift Engelszell Gregorius

Are you referring to Bock or Doppelbock beers? Lots of breweries do these seasonal strong beers with high ABV. I’m partial to Trappist beers like the Belgian Chimay but there is also an excellent Trappist brewery in Austria - Stift Engelszell Gregorius

Yes was in that vein. As you made reference to switching from Bourbon and Tequila to a Single Malt and similar with regard to seasonal changes, I assumed that this also was a reference to other seasonal changes I had heard of while spending time in Germany.

Curious as if this was the case and how it applied to the Beers, Monks, Winter and your changes. Since you live in Austria, figured you'd be the Man with the answers and I could learn from your knowledge. :D

Last edited:
Yes was in that vein. As you made reference to switching from Bourbon and Tequila to a Single Malt and similar with regard to seasonal changes, I assumed that this also was a reference to other seasonal changes I had heard of while spending time in Germany.

Curious as if this was the case and how it applied to the Beers, Monks, and Winter. Since you live in Austria, figured you'd be the Man with the answers and I could learn from your knowledge. :D
Lots of seasonal stuff coming up here in fall :)
There is:
Mushroom season
Pumpkin season
Goose & Duck
Game (boar, deer)
Wine harvest
a bit outdated but still happening „Sautanz“ the slaughtering of a Pig and preparing of bloodsausages - not for the faint hearted…

Lots of seasonal stuff coming up here in fall :)
There is:
Mushroom season
Pumpkin season
Goose & Duck
Game (boar, deer)
Wine harvest
a bit outdated but still happening „Sautanz“ the slaughtering of a Pig and preparing of bloodsausages - not for the faint hearted…

Those sound vaguely familiar, all but Mushroom season. That has my interest, any related festivals? Areas that are more intense with activities related to Mushrooms?

My experience while in Bavaria, the Bier and Sausage was almost cultist in the festivals and daily life.

No festival but people meet to hike in the country side and pick mushrooms.
My favorite, Boletus
DADE0FA9-5ED5-41A5-B671-4807EE2EE0DB.jpeg

Visiting daughter at Norfolk Naval Station. She is finishing her tour on the USS Cole. We were able to watch her “drive“ the ship for the last time as they moved the ship from Norfolk up the James River to Yorktown. The liquor store on base is always good for a bargain or two. 1.75 Bombay Sapphire at $30, Buffalo Trace at $21 and Woodford Reserve Rye $22.
0A5A18E2-36CD-4B7B-93AB-F66DCDE54D12.jpeg
E7302724-08E1-4202-82AA-ED50F813A0D3.jpeg

8y Single Estate Jamaican Rum 92 proof, NAS Travel Exclusive Bunna on the Sherry side of things with 100 proof and a new (to me) Single Malt Vatter/Bottler also with a 92 proof NAS Sherry expression
View attachment 1324801
I would love to find a bottle of Hampden up here in MN, but I've never seen it. I'm quite keen on the Jamaican haut gout (light to moderate, at least). What does a bottle run, and where are you that keeps it on the shelf?

I would love to find a bottle of Hampden up here in MN, but I've never seen it. I'm quite keen on the Jamaican haut gout (light to moderate, at least). What does a bottle run, and where are you that keeps it on the shelf?
I‘m based in Europe and having issues getting decent Bourbon :c9:
Rum there is plenty Rumzentrum - had a tasting there yesterday
The regular Hampden runs at about 60.00 the overproof at 80.00 so quite a bit.
A very nice and funky surprise was the Plantation for 30.00
518418A3-43C3-411D-80B0-2CFC68B8A54E.jpeg

Top Bottom