What's new

The Speakeasy Acquisitions 2020

Four Roses Small Batch Select. I have enjoyed the regular small batch and look forward to this one. I need to track down some single barrel as well.
PXL_20201222_035143371.jpg

Awe man that stouts looks damn tasty!! Coffee & chocolate 👍
The non barrel aged is available year round. 😁 They have one that they age in bourbon barrels that were used to make bourbon barrel syrup. They call it Canadian Breakfast Stout. It's lie $24 for a 20oz but oh so tasty. They have an Old Ale named Old Curmudgeon. It's tasty. But they take that and age that in before mentioned syrup bourbon barrels and call it Curmudgeon's Better Half. Out of this world smooth and delicious. It also ages well and I know I have at least one 12 in the cellar.

Got a Woodford Reserve Straight. Tried out bourbon for the first time.

Whew! That was a strong kick. Never had that much alcohol go in at once. Even with a small sip, it tasted really bitter but the scent came out after the sip. Not sure if I'll like it but I'll keep trying.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

Whew! That was a strong kick. Never had that much alcohol go in at once. Even with a small sip, it tasted really bitter but the scent came out after the sip. Not sure if I'll like it but I'll keep trying.

The next time, try adding two or three ice cubes and let it sit for about five minutes before taking your first sip. The melting ice will help to slightly dilute the bourbon, and chilling it will help to slightly round off some the sharp edges you're experiencing.

Bourbon is usually pretty bold. If you're thinking about getting into whiskey but don't have the palate for it yet, you might want to start with a Canadian or Irish whiskey, like Crown Royal or Jameson, first. Also, keep in mind that Woodford Reserve has a ABV (alcohol by volume) of 45.2% (90.4 proof). Many of the popular entree level whiskeys like Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Crown Royal, Jameson, etc. will bottle their flagship whiskeys at 40% ABV (80 proof). So, Woodford Reserve will pack a bit more punch from the alcohol content alone.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I was looking up Best Whiskey For Beginners the other day and just about every website recommended Wild Turkey 101. That is a big alcohol kick so I found it surprising it was mentioned so often. I think more so because it is inexpensive. Jameson was also mentioned quite often. It was also recommended for noobs to put a few drops of water in the glass. As much as you need, but no more than one part water to one part whiskey.

The next time, try adding two or three ice cubes and let it sit for about five minutes before taking your first sip. The melting ice will help to slightly dilute the bourbon, and chilling it will help to slightly round off some the sharp edges you're experiencing.

Bourbon is usually pretty bold. If you're thinking about getting into whiskey but don't have the palate for it yet, you might want to start with a Canadian or Irish whiskey, like Crown Royal or Jameson, first. Also, keep in mind that Woodford Reserve has a ABV (alcohol by volume) of 45.2% (90.4 proof). Many of the popular entree level whiskeys like Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Crown Royal, Jameson, etc. will bottle their flagship whiskeys at 40% ABV (80 proof). So, Woodford Reserve will pack a bit more punch from the alcohol content alone.
I added couple drops of water to dilute the bourbon but for reason, that made it even bitter on the tongue. I think I liked it better just sipping it neat. I do enjoy the scent of it off the bottle so I'll be sipping on some during the holidays. Thanks for advice!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I added couple drops of water to dilute the bourbon but for reason, that made it even bitter on the tongue. I think I liked it better just sipping it neat. I do enjoy the scent of it off the bottle so I'll be sipping on some during the holidays. Thanks for advice!

Adding only a couple of drops of water can sometimes make the oils rise to the top of the glass, which can make the couple of sips right after be more intense.

The more you drink it, the more tolerable it will probably become. Enjoy!

I started off with Canadian then went to irish bourbon then scotch. Depending on who is in the cigar they have bourbon but more prevent is irish. Gimme those whiskeys!

Lots of good advice already, so I’ll just add that you’ve got a good bottle to start out with, low proof and fairly sweet. There’s a few small things you can do to enjoy your experience a little more.
-The first one you already did, the first crack of the bottle is not going to be the most enjoyable for you. Once you drink it down to the shoulders, it starts to open up. Your next couple drinks should be more to your liking.
-Also, if you enjoy it neat, pour some and let it sit for awhile, even 30 minutes will knock the proof down for you.
-That is a damn good bourbon for old fashions & mint juleps. Both are sweet, tasty and lower in alcohol. Those might be a good gateway into enjoying bourbon a bit more. The wife and I put on Kentucky Derby parties at the house and I’ve yet to meet anyone that doesn’t like a fresh mint julep.
-Sorry this is so long, but if you stayed with me this far, I’ve got one last thing. Woodford Double Oak. Full disclosure, I’m a Double Oak fan boy. It’s the same proof as your bottle but finished in another cask giving it a dessert flavor. Think butter pecan pancakes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It’s one of the least expensive finished bourbons ($39 Totalwine.com in AZ) I know it’s more in other places, but still worth it. It should be on everyone’s top list for beginner bourbons.
-Hope this helps.

Lots of good advice already, so I’ll just add that you’ve got a good bottle to start out with, low proof and fairly sweet. There’s a few small things you can do to enjoy your experience a little more.
-The first one you already did, the first crack of the bottle is not going to be the most enjoyable for you. Once you drink it down to the shoulders, it starts to open up. Your next couple drinks should be more to your liking.
-Also, if you enjoy it neat, pour some and let it sit for awhile, even 30 minutes will knock the proof down for you.
-That is a damn good bourbon for old fashions & mint juleps. Both are sweet, tasty and lower in alcohol. Those might be a good gateway into enjoying bourbon a bit more. The wife and I put on Kentucky Derby parties at the house and I’ve yet to meet anyone that doesn’t like a fresh mint julep.
-Sorry this is so long, but if you stayed with me this far, I’ve got one last thing. Woodford Double Oak. Full disclosure, I’m a Double Oak fan boy. It’s the same proof as your bottle but finished in another cask giving it a dessert flavor. Think butter pecan pancakes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It’s one of the least expensive finished bourbons ($39 Totalwine.com in AZ) I know it’s more in other places, but still worth it. It should be on everyone’s top list for beginner bourbons.
-Hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice! I sipped on some yesterday and I'm already enjoying it a bit. The alcohol is still strong but I really enjoy the scent on it. I get that sweet, syrupy scent with the woody notes from the barrel, I'm guessing. I'll try letting it sit for a while.

I think I saw a different kind of Woodford right next to the one I picked up.. maybe it's the Double Oak? As for now, I think I'll stick to this one. I'm already far into wet shaving rabbit hole and I'm not trying to go down the bourbon route, haha. All I want is to experience bourbon and enjoy it. This might be one that "I drink until it's empty" since I can't do that with soaps.

Thought twice about paying $30 for BT, but a few bucks more won’t kill me I guess.
Yikes! BT is a pretty good pour...but $30 is starting to compete with some more serious bourbons IMO. Love that WRDO though!

You already had a TON of good advice...so I'll just add on for the sake of repetition. :) Definitely let your glass sit for a bit before you sip. It'll help with that alcohol taste. Sometimes adding a single ice cube and sipping on it as it slowly melts is also good. You can see how the flavor changes with more water added. It may be too much by the time the ice is fully melted, but you at least know where it stands.
I always enjoyed Woodford. I find it has a drier flavor than many bourbons, and quite woody. Some folks aren't a fan of the drier bourbon. Another bourbon you might consider if the Woodford is too much of a punch is Basil Hayden. It really got me into it, and is a very approachable 80 proof. I find it too light now, but it sips super easy (since it's mostly water....).
Finally, Woodford puts out many different whiskeys. The standard, a rye, and an American single malt all come in the same shaped bottle. I believe the labels are slightly different color. The double oaked is a different shape. Then there's the specialty bourbons that are outside my price range as they contain unobtainium.

Top Bottom