What's new

The Speakeasy Acquisitions - 2018

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I can’t compete!!!
Haha

I bought the bonded Old Grand Dad yesterday

Nice lineup!
Ive read that the high alchohol content of whisky will disentegrate the cork if left in constant contact like done with wine. You should get those bottles off the wine rack.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nice lineup!
Ive read that the high alchohol content of whisky will disentegrate the cork if left in constant contact like done with wine. You should get those bottles off the wine rack.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
After I saw your comment I googled whisky storage. You are correct and I will correct my mistake. Thanks for the tip. I've got a little bit of an investment in my collection and want to keep it properly stored.

My wife is on a trip and asked me if I want her to bring something back for me. I told her to check the duty free store and pick a scotch with an age statement. Preferably older than 12 years old. Wonder what she'll pick?

Today I picked up a bottle of Glenrothes vintage reserve. The first try of the last bottle I wasn't sure I liked it. Over the next few days I sampled it again. It just got better and better. Long vanilla finish..... oh yea it's a good one. I will keep this in stock.

I opened the Glenlivit French oak for a sample with my mom last night. It was smooth. Might be a great Malt for warm weather? Not to impressed but nothing off putting. Probably won't restock. Most likely will replace with Balvenie double wood 12. That's my gold standard spay side.

Last edited:
7B629D6E-4D24-4EA3-8336-94B39169A543.jpeg

Disappointed I couldn’t get it at the source, but looking forward to it!

The wife picked this up for me at a duty free shop. Dang I'm having trouble posting the picture. Anyway, it's Laphroaig 4 Oak. I've never tried it since it's not available in the US.

Last edited:
Curious to know how you like the Laphroaig 4 Oak. I recently tried the Laphroaig Select, aged 2 years ???, and although it hit a lot of the notes that the ten year presents, it tasted watered down.

Last edited:
Curious to know how you like the Laphroaig 4 Oak. I recently tried the Laphroaig Select, aged 2 years, and although it hit a lot of the notes that the ten year presents, it tasted watered down.

I heard the same thing from a friend about the select. The reviews I've seen on the 4 Oak are more kind for the most part. Lighter version of the 10. I got a bottle of the triple wood a while back but haven't opened it yet. I'm thinking of doing a side by side tasting.

Seems like a lot of distilleries are offering new no age statement scotchs. I'm not sure I like the trend but I imagine it's a way for them to make a buck on younger whisky? Glenlivit Founders reserve is one example that I thought was a step down from the 12.

Curious to know how you like the Laphroaig 4 Oak. I recently tried the Laphroaig Select, aged 2 years ???, and although it hit a lot of the notes that the ten year presents, it tasted watered down.
I gave the 4 Oaks a sample last night. I'll need to spend some more time with this one to meditate on the flavors. First impression is that it's like Laphroaig 10 and Lagavulin 16 had a baby together. Lighter version of both, with a sweet mid pallet and a smoky finish. The finish is not as dry as Lagavulin. Still very enjoyable Islay to visit from time to time. Decent price for a larger bottle. Good addition to the collection.

I added a Macallan 12 double cask. Also a Balvenie 12 double wood because I opened a bottle of both recently. They are both so good when I open a bottle I restock before it's empty. I need to restock Lagavulin 16 soon. The Macallan was a new one for me and man I like it a lot!

My wife took the kids to see a movie. So I ran some errands, re grouted the kids shower, weeded the garden. Being unsupervised I picked up some tobacco products went to Basspro and total wine and more. A bottle of Oban Little Bay came home with me. Merry Christmas to ME!

Stumbled upon this Gem at Costco of all places. It had almost literally just hit the shelf.

proxy.php

Now I am hunting for the Basil Hayden 10 year release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife said," that $10 off $50 purchase Bevmo coupon is going to expire. You need to use it." She's a keeper!

So I picked up Glenrothes bourbon cask reserve. Also a bottle of Dewars to get over the $50 mark.

My first scotch acquisition. Also had some tonight, chilled with the ice wedge. It was tasty. First sip had some bite, but after that it mellowed and I enjoyed the glass over he next half hour or more. I look forward to trying it neat or with a glencairn of some variety!

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom