What's new

The softest brush I own

I've been on a bit of a badger binge for the past year or so. Now that the weather is heating up I've decided to give some boar brushes a go for some cold wet shaves from a chilled scuttle. First up was the Omega Italian Flag. The hair is much finer than Omega's other offerings. This is possibly the softest brush I own. It exhibits absolutely no scritch or scrub. It's like lathering with a brush made only of lather.

Now if you are looking for a face massage or some scrub, this is not the brush for you. It requires a lighter touch and side to side movements rather than swirling or mashing. Used properly this is a delightful brush. I use it with creams and an ice cold scuttle. It's a nice departure from my other brushes.

SOTD 04-29-21.jpg
Italian Flag.jpg

Italians know a thing or two about brushes. And bicycles.

Those Boar bristles look great. I’m sure that brush provides a perfectly soft, silky lather. Just wonderful, enjoy!

I have the Omega R&B which is a very similar version to the one you have. Absolute softness. Matches the gel boar that I have from Heritage Collection Shaving. I definitely ought to take it out for a shave soon.

I've been using only boars since the end of April and I'm really digging it. I had forgotten how good this hair can be. Yesterday I used the Zenith disco. This knot is listed as 27.5 mm at the base and has a short loft of about 50 mm. The hair is not as fine as the Italian Flag and consequently is not as soft. It is still quite soft, though, with the addition of a mild scrub but absolutely no scritch. This brush has enough backbone for soaps of any kind and has excellent flow through.

SOTD 05-12-21.jpg

That boar in the flag appears to have been bleached. Nothing wrong with that but they are definitely more supple when treated. Boars make excellent brushes.

The Omega Jade is a soft brush as well. This one is a little less uniform than the Zenith and not as soft as the IF, but provides nice backbone for its level of softness.

I'm becoming impressed again with how well boar brushes perform. The Zenith and the Omega both whip up lather faster than any badger I have and deliver nice refreshing cool shaves when sufficiently pre-soaked and used with a chilled scuttle.

SOTD 05-13-21.jpg

That boar in the flag appears to have been bleached. Nothing wrong with that but they are definitely more supple when treated. Boars make excellent brushes.
Omega just states that it's "premium boar bristle". They don't mention treatment. The hair is very fine compared to other boars I have. I have no idea why some brushes have lighter hair than others; you may be right.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I feel? like boars are under rated a bit, overshadowed by the various badgers etc, I have a soc boar and its right up there for softness.

Boars are terrific once their full potential is unlocked. I agree boars are softer than badgers, very generally speaking, once they're fully broken in.

Some people think that a boar is broken in once all the tips have split. This is not the case. Split tips are just the beginning.

The Omega Italian Flag / R&B LE are (is? a?) wonderful boar(s). Super flexy saturated, and soft, soft, tips. For some reason, I just grabbed my Semogue 2000 off the back shelf. Time to become reacquainted after a few years apart. Mebbie time to visit with the R&B too.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I used boar bristle brushes exclusively for over 30 years, and I still own about 12 or 15 good ones, but I haven't used one in well over a year. About 12 years ago I discovered Rooney and Simpson badgers, and I was off to the races. If I had it do over I would have stuck with boar. If I wasn't so slothful I'd move most of my 35+ badgers along, keeping maybe 4 or 5 of them, and returning to boars. But I can't be arsed even putting all the badgers back in their fancy boxes, let alone sending them all over the world.

Yesterday's shave was with the 2018 TSN LE Semogue boar. When I purchased this I was expecting it to be similar to the SOC. Thankfully, I was wrong. This brush feels denser and scrubbier than the SOC. The scrub is very uniform without taking away from the brush's softness. Sometimes impulse buys work out.

SOTD 05-16-21.jpg

I'm thinking of moving all of my witch hazel to the fridge for the summer.

I have a couple boars that are a delight to use. But for softest, I just got a Rudy Vey Bog Oak with a Shavemac D01 Silvertip knot that is to die for.

The Omega Italian Flag / R&B LE are (is? a?) wonderful boar(s). Super flexy saturated, and soft, soft, tips. For some reason, I just grabbed my Semogue 2000 off the back shelf. Time to become reacquainted after a few years apart. Mebbie time to visit with the R&B too.
I bought a Semogue 2000 but was so distracted by other brushes when it arrived that I never gave it a proper breakin. I should really give it a go; Semogues take so long to break in though and I'm getting old :001_unsur

How do you like it?

I've been on a bit of a badger binge for the past year or so. Now that the weather is heating up I've decided to give some boar brushes a go for some cold wet shaves from a chilled scuttle. First up was the Omega Italian Flag. The hair is much finer than Omega's other offerings. This is possibly the softest brush I own. It exhibits absolutely no scritch or scrub. It's like lathering with a brush made only of lather.

Now if you are looking for a face massage or some scrub, this is not the brush for you. It requires a lighter touch and side to side movements rather than swirling or mashing. Used properly this is a delightful brush. I use it with creams and an ice cold scuttle. It's a nice departure from my other brushes.

View attachment 1260284View attachment 1260285

Italians know a thing or two about brushes. And bicycles.
DEA96FBB-7C11-49B9-998A-0E5B871F4384.jpeg

Well said!!

Top Bottom