What's new

The smoothest blade on the first shave.

What blades do you guys think are actually great on that first shave?
Astra SP 7p.jpg

Probably Gillette Platinum (light blue). Wizamet SI blades seem quite smooth from the start, too.

For longer term smoothness, I really like the Personna Med Prep blades.

Love these threads. Very interesting that if you search and read the old threads, you will see completely different trends.

I don't have a favorite, but have tons of Astra SP, and a variety of others. They all work for me.

Based on my recent experiences, I'm starting to think that any thread or review about "the sharpest" or "the smoothest" is only valid for that particular batch of blades and that you could buy the same brand next week and get completely different results. I'd be more interested in a thread about "which blades are always good regardless of when or where you purchase?" Which brand is the most consistent with the best quality control?

Based on my recent experiences, I'm starting to think that any thread or review about "the sharpest" or "the smoothest" is only valid for that particular batch of blades and that you could buy the same brand next week and get completely different results. I'd be more interested in a thread about "which blades are always good regardless of when or where you purchase?" Which brand is the most consistent with the best quality control?
The problem is, people get different results with the same blade. It also depends on which razor is used. There's no universal list of "the best" for whatever reasons.

The problem is, people get different results with the same blade. It also depends on which razor is used. There's no universal list of "the best" for whatever reasons.
I'm sure that is a problem - and maybe even the most common one. But I'm not sure that is the only problem. I believe there is another problem where people are not always reviewing the "same blade" when a batch of blades this month from vendor B aren't the same as the batch some reviewer bought last year, same brand but from vendor A etc. In my recent "bad experience" with a well reviewed blade, I took closeup pictures of the edges of new blades and of blades after one pass and you can see the flaws in the edge. Hence my interest in who makes the most consistent blades with best quality control. 🙂

lasta

Blade Biter
I'm sure that is a problem - and maybe even the most common one. But I'm not sure that is the only problem. I believe there is another problem where people are not always reviewing the "same blade" when a batch of blades this month from vendor B aren't the same as the batch some reviewer bought last year, same brand but from vendor A etc. In my recent "bad experience" with a well reviewed blade, I took closeup pictures of the edges of new blades and of blades after one pass and you can see the flaws in the edge. Hence my interest in who makes the most consistent blades with best quality control. 🙂
Sometimes these flaws are leftover debris, or dried soap scum, not jagged edges. Wipe it on a towel and look again.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The smoothest are the one's that aren't sharp enough to use: King C. and Gillette Greens. Feathers are usually pretty smooth.

Wizamet SI are often smooth.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any that are always smooth. I suppose it's difficult to justify more quality control on such a cheap item.

A recent discovery has been the Gillette Rubie, which is as smooth as anything I've tried on the first shave. Not sure I can recommend it yet tho, don't know how many shaves it will remain this smooth and it feels less forgiving than the German Wiki, although it might be because I used too much pressure as a result of the ghost blade syndrome its smoothness caused. There are a number of blades that are incredibly smooth on that first shave but end up disappointing on the remaining ones, like the India Gillette 365 and Feather for me, so I prefer to hold out before recommending them.

Top Bottom