What's new

The smell of Arko (standard shaving stick soap)

I traveled frequently to China in the 90's and every hotel I stayed in furnished soap the smelled exactly like Arko. When you shower with it for two weeks in a row there's no forgetting it. Great soap!

I never quite got the "urinal puck" smell from Arko, to me, it smells like Ivory soap on steroids.
Yes, to me exactly like Ivory but way, way stronger. I never minded the smell of Ivory, but Arko is sickening due to its strength.

We keep having these threads. Arko soap contains linalool, limonene, citronellol, and geraniol. Says so right on the wrapping. Anything with those ingredients is going to have a floral-citrus scent to it, and Arko in particular smells of citronella when wet because that is a primary fragrance component.

FTR, urinal cakes may very well have the same scent components in them, and nobody knows what is in Ivory soap because (a) they don't call out their fragrances and (b) the formula has changed since the 99-44/100% pure days. But Ivory never struck me as a particularly fragrant soap. Arko is certainly considerably stronger, though I have also used stronger-smelling soaps than it.

The scent doesn't bother me any because I didn't grow up in places where they used citrus-scented urinal cakes, and I also don't have to shave directly below my nose. My only complaint is that I find the stick format convenient for money and space savings, and not convenient for application. So I only care to use them when I'm not home.

I received Arko in a bowl, today. It's identical to the Arko stick that I smelled previously, but it didn't sting my nose as badly as before. Reminds me of Williams more than I remembered. In fact, it smells identical to a generic citronella-scented soap that we were supplied with when I lived in a logging camp. I described that soap in this thread.

There's something else that I'm wondering about, though... I thought the Arko bowl was supposed to be discontinued. There was a post from a few years ago in which the North American distributor said that Evyap had stopped producing it in that format...

Okay, found the post in this thread: See post #48 .Arko soap in the bowl is being discontinued! -

@kevcooper says that it wouldn't be produced after November 2015. Well, the bowl that I received today was made in September 2018:

proxy.php

the pucks of arko smell great.......best smelling soap out there, or one of the best smelling anyways, it's as polarizing as Tabac. You want to start a internet war of words then tell someone Tabac smells bad......stand back, crack beer and watch the fur fly.

I bought an Arko bowl...so I could refill it with the sticks at will.

My other method is via Arko stick filled empty deodorant applicator.

Top Bottom