What's new

The smell of Arko (standard shaving stick soap)

I can get past the smell of Arko. What I cannot abide is how it leaves my face feeling tight and dry after the shave. I have to apply some form of lotion or balm for moisturizing.

I can get past the smell of Arko. What I cannot abide is how it leaves my face feeling tight and dry after the shave. I have to apply some form of lotion or balm for moisturizing.

All soaps tend to do that- Arko is by no means unique. Soap disrupts the skin barrier. I haven't found a shave soap yet that doesn't require a moisturizer of some sort after shaving. You have to use something like a high end, brushless shave cream or gel to get results to the contrary.

I have come to realize that some people's sniffers are just out to lunch.

I had some people smell Arko and Williams and most said just classic soap smell. I got 1 that said detergent and 1 said it smelled like assorted candy..which is wack.

As long as I like the smell I could care less what the tiny few think.

I used Arko in early days of DE shaving and making lather with soaps and a brush. Didn’t mind the smell, was like citronella or lemon pez....at the time. Now it just smells vile to me. I don’t know if it’s the tallow or what but it just reeks of lemon detergent and animal funk now.

I left an open Arko stick in my shave cabinet and that putrid stench migrated into all the cardboard products in the cabinet. Once I tossed that vile thing, it took several months for the smell to go away, which it did thankfully!

All soaps tend to do that- Arko is by no means unique. Soap disrupts the skin barrier. I haven't found a shave soap yet that doesn't require a moisturizer of some sort after shaving. You have to use something like a high end, brushless shave cream or gel to get results to the contrary.

I have many soaps, both traditional and artisan, that leave my face feeling soft, moisturized and well-conditioned, but they cost many times what a stick of Arko costs. To me, the higher quality soaps are well worth the added cost. The only post-shave product I normally use is generic witch hazel. The only time I apply a moisturizer is in mid-winter when temperatures are below 20 degrees and humidity levels are low.

I have many soaps, both traditional and artisan, that leave my face feeling soft, moisturized and well-conditioned, but they cost many times what a stick of Arko costs. To me, the higher quality soaps are well worth the added cost. The only post-shave product I normally use is generic witch hazel. The only time I apply a moisturizer is in mid-winter when temperatures are below 20 degrees and humidity levels are low.

I haven't found that to be the case for me. Artisan superfatted shave soaps are still soaps, and adding glycerin and unsaponified oils only buffers their inherent harshness.

Last edited:
My point is that artisan soaps are expensive ways to moisturize ones skin, given that most of the moisturizer is going to go straight down the drain.

Perhaps so, but I shaved yesterday morning with Zingari Man Sego formula and my face still feels wonderful 31 hours later. Heather Melton, the artisan behind Zingari Man, is a Certified Cosmetic Formulator through the hand-crafted Soap and Cosmetic Guild. To me, the post-shave experience is well worth the price of the soap. If you choose another way of doing things, that is fine by me.

Top Bottom