What's new

The Slow Progress Journal

So after some time reading a few posts and a bit of reaearch. I decided that it was best to let my Fusion supplies run out before buying a straight. That time has not come but I have finally purchased a brush and soap. So what did I get, you may ask.

A 5 dollar brush that is "pure bristle" from Sally's Beauty Supply. And a container of Proraso white. Purchased right after Christmas.

On Tuesday I had my first attempt at lather with the brush and Proraso. The scent was excellent and my wife liked it too. I felt I got a good lather and brushed the soap on my face.

Just with the soap I felt I got a much smoother shave than ever. The next day I didn't look as scruffy as I usually do after a day of shaving.

So my gradual progress is ditching the can of goop. Next will be a razor. I may add an aftershave, which is something I have never really done. But I did feel a little dry after the shave.

get the straight now, even if you just hold it a couple times, look at it, move around in your hands, get the feel for for it, before you even use it! just get comfortable around it.. shave some ankle or arm hair..

Welcome! I have found wet shaving to be very enjoyable and satisfying.

I threw all of my "beginner to wet shaving" advice into a guide (see my signature for the link), if that helps.

Welcome. Ditching the canned goo is as good as any way to start. Enjoy the journey. You might find you pick up some speed, if you hang around here for a bit. Let us know if you need a push.

Get the straight and strop before the fusions run out. It's easier to learn on the "easy parts" and use your old method to finish the shave. Easy parts-- your cheeks. A little harder: your neck. Hard parts: around your mouth/chin.

We'll it was the second day of shaving with brush and soap.

Soap: Proraso white
Brush: el cheapo SBS
Razor: Gillette Fusion

I may have rushed the lather today because of the confidence of the first day. That being said I was still very happy with the results. The brush didn't shed as much as the first day and really loads up well

I appreciate your encouragement. I have only known the can for shaving my whole shaving life. So over 20 years. At this point a straight and strop is just a financial thing. I know a razor from Whipped Dog is barely ore than a big stack of cartridges. But I have 30 left. I will get to it as soon as I can. I agree with learning and touching up with the fusion. I have a tricky scarred up chin from childhood accidents.

Congrats!!! I just started wet shaving with a brush, soap/cream, etc... this year as well. Like you, I had 20+ years with carts. I can tell you it has been a blast. Keep the journal going and you will find this will come pretty quickly. The guys here are great. They have tons of great info, and are just a great group to interact with.

Well that is the third shave done. Nothing changed in equipment. At this point I will make an update if something changes or I have any trouble. But I find I am getting a really good lather.

No news will be good news at this time.

I thought I would give an update.

Still no change to gear. However I have started to work my lather in the lid of the Proraso soap instead I in the soap. I find it to be a thicker lather now.

It may be another couple of months before I take the plunge on the straight.

We'll it was the second day of shaving with brush and soap.

Soap: Proraso white
Brush: el cheapo SBS
Razor: Gillette Fusion

I may have rushed the lather today because of the confidence of the first day. That being said I was still very happy with the results. The brush didn't shed as much as the first day and really loads up well

I appreciate your encouragement. I have only known the can for shaving my whole shaving life. So over 20 years. At this point a straight and strop is just a financial thing. I know a razor from Whipped Dog is barely ore than a big stack of cartridges. But I have 30 left. I will get to it as soon as I can. I agree with learning and touching up with the fusion. I have a tricky scarred up chin from childhood accidents.

Actually, a straight razor "sight unseen" shave ready purchased from Whipped Dog would be less than the cost on a big stack of cartridges! Just saying....

When I switched, from cartridges I went to the DE razors first. My shaves were so much better that I ditched the cartridges I had left into the bin the next day. Since you are going to straights, it might not be a bad idea to keep your cartridges to finish up the more difficult areas on your face while you are learning. The straight razor has a much longer learning curve than DE razors... But once you have it dialed in, the rewards are even higher. Great shaves await you! Keep us posted and good luck.

Top Bottom