What's new

The Simpson Trafalgar T2 is the best synthetic I have ever used.

The Trafalgar range uses a different fibre known as Sovereign grade while the Chubby 2 and other more expensive synthetic brushes use Platinum grade. The handle production and the knot tying and gluing methods I also suspect to be different but I am not certain of this.
Interesting to hear of the 2 grades. Do you know which brushes of any manufacturer have the Sovereign and Platinum grades?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Interesting to hear of the 2 grades. Do you know which brushes of any manufacturer have the Sovereign and Platinum grades?
I believe the Sovereign and Platinum grades are unique to Simpson though I could be wrong as I have little knowledge of other synthetic brands. The Simpson Trafalgar series all use Sovereign grade, and the more expensive Chubby 2, Duke 3, and others use the Platinum grade. I have a Simpson Chubby 2 and a Colonel X2L synthetic, and they are both excellent. I have not tried the Trafalgar brushes but the reviews are very good.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Just now I saw on the Twitter Machine that Simpsons have made at least a few Commodore x2's and Chubby 3's with the sovereign synthetic fibre.

Simpson x2 synth.jpgSimpson ch3 synth.jpg

I was really looking forward to the CH3 synthetic, but was hoping they had the same fibers as in the CH2 synthetics.

Title says it all.
Over the years I have tried quite a few synthetics, maybe not as many as other people, but enough to get a good scope of what's out there.
Persoanlly, I was never a fan of most synthetics. They don't retain water or heat, badgers are best at this, and I have always preferred badger brushes above anything else.
I still prefer badger brushes, but recently I decided to try out one of the newer synthetics, the Trafalgar T2.
My biggest issue with synthetics is not the lack of water or heat retention, they are either floppy as hell, or they are so stiff you can't splay them on your face when you lather.
I have always face lathered and always splay my brushes, I know some people don't splay, that's fine. It always worked for me, and I never ruined a brush by doing so.
I could never find a synthetic brush that splayed the way a badger or boar did, because they were either too floppy or too stiff.
Well, the T2 splays just fine on my face, maybe not as good as a badger, but 90%, and that is good enough.
I am amazed by how great this brush is, especially at this price point, if I didn't know the price of this and someone told me it retailed for 50 bucks I would believe it lol!
I never thought I would say this for a synthetic brush, but this might be a new daily driver for me, I am beyond impressed with this brush!
Great brush, expected it to be a bit bigger but its an excellent performer

No, Sir, I don't know; I believe this is one of those very limited runs that can only be purchased by emailing Mr Watterson.
Owen, Have you used any of the Trafalgars or the Synthetic Duke 3/Chubby 2?

I am enjoying my T1 and T2 and considering stepping up to the D3 or C2, but not sure the price difference is justified for platinum synthetic vs. just going with a Chubby or a Duke in Best badger (which I also really enjoy).

I can’t compare the different synthetic bristles unfortunately.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Owen Bawn

Owen, Have you used any of the Trafalgars or the Synthetic Duke 3/Chubby 2?

I am enjoying my T1 and T2 and considering stepping up to the D3 or C2, but not sure the price difference is justified for platinum synthetic vs. just going with a Chubby or a Duke in Best badger (which I also really enjoy).

I can’t compare the different synthetic bristles unfortunately.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I have a Chubby 2 from 2015, another from 2019, a Duke 3, and two M7s, all in synthetic. The older Chubby (in ivory) is a low lofted bulb that has soft tips and exhibits some resistance to splaying; the copper Chubby has a higher loft and is more of a hybrid bulb/fan. I actually prefer the older one- it feels more like a Chubby. The Duke is terrific- a Duke 3, it feels like a 2, and is precise and a pleasure for face lathering. The M7s are the best of the lot. The longer handle gives more of a fulcrum to splay, and the brush is luxurious used as a paintbrush. The synthetic fibre is outstanding. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Trafalgar series, but I really like these brushes. They are expensive, however.

M7.jpeg

I have a Chubby 2 from 2015, another from 2019, a Duke 3, and two M7s, all in synthetic. The older Chubby (in ivory) is a low lofted bulb that has soft tips and exhibits some resistance to splaying; the copper Chubby has a higher loft and is more of a hybrid bulb/fan. I actually prefer the older one- it feels more like a Chubby. The Duke is terrific- a Duke 3, it feels like a 2, and is precise and a pleasure for face lathering. The M7s are the best of the lot. The longer handle gives more of a fulcrum to splay, and the brush is luxurious used as a paintbrush. The synthetic fibre is outstanding. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Trafalgar series, but I really like these brushes. They are expensive, however.

View attachment 1174547
Thanks for the detailed reply. Much appreciated.

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards a Duke 3, Polo 8 or M7 in badger. Expensive, but I can keep buying $20-50 brushes or just say the hell with it and buy something I will truly enjoy for years to come.

Synthetics are all the rage and I have a few good ones, but lately I have been reaching for my badgers. Even Simpsons in Pure are excellent performers.

Owen Bawn

Thanks for the detailed reply. Much appreciated.

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards a Duke 3, Polo 8 or M7 in badger. Expensive, but I can keep buying $20-50 brushes or just say the hell with it and buy something I will truly enjoy for years to come.

Synthetics are all the rage and I have a few good ones, but lately I have been reaching for my badgers. Even Simpsons in Pure are excellent performers.
The Duke 3 in Best is an all around favorite. The M7 is just pure class. You can get them in Manchurian direct from Simpsons, or if you're in the USA West Coast has them in Best and in Super. I have no experience with the Polo. Pure is an acquired taste- not for everyone. I have two Eagle G3's in Pure. Dense face lathering machines- but be warned- they have some real "presence" on the face. (The Eagle in Super is a delight.) If you visit the Simpsons site the Astor LE in Best is outstanding. A longer handle and a nice really dense knot. You have all sorts of options!
Astor.jpg

eagles.jpeg

The Duke 3 in Best is an all around favorite. The M7 is just pure class. You can get them in Manchurian direct from Simpsons, or if you're in the USA West Coast has them in Best and in Super. I have no experience with the Polo. Pure is an acquired taste- not for everyone. I have two Eagle G3's in Pure. Dense face lathering machines- but be warned- they have some real "presence" on the face. (The Eagle in Super is a delight.) If you visit the Simpsons site the Astor LE in Best is outstanding. A longer handle and a nice really dense knot. You have all sorts of options!
View attachment 1174557

View attachment 1174556
Thanks for making my decision more difficult! LOL

I am in Canada and have had a couple of good experiences ordering directly from Simpsons so I will likely go that route. The different handle colour options directly from Simpsons is also something I am interested in.

Owen Bawn

Thanks for making my decision more difficult! LOL

I am in Canada and have had a couple of good experiences ordering directly from Simpsons so I will likely go that route. The different handle colour options directly from Simpsons is also something I am interested in.
If money isn't an object and you're buying from Simpsons the Duke 3 in 2 band SiLVERTiP is the sweetest brush I've ever used.
2 band.jpeg

I just got a T2 from the St. Sue auction. It's a little different from the syns I'm used to. Denser and scrubbier, it feels a little closer to a natural hair brush.

Top Bottom