What's new

The Simpson Trafalgar T2 is the best synthetic I have ever used.

I used the T2 last night. Excellent brush. I wish it held a bit more lather, but beyond that it is perfect. Great size, soft bristles that splay nicely and I love the handle.

Amazing for the price... and it’s a Simpson.

T1 is up next, 👍

Just got my T3, and apart from a quality control issue with the handle (WCS has great customer service and is immediately sending another), this has dethroned my RR Plissoft performance-wise. Not quite as feather soft, but fuller and more enveloping. Feels so much better splayed and has a touch more backbone.

My only other brush is a Colonel 2XL that has never failed to shed a few hairs every shave. The price-to-performance of these modern synthetics is making me think twice about ever paying even that much for another brush.
Not quite as feather soft? Is it gentle on face with soft tips like yaqi purple haze or moka for instance ? Thank you.

Not quite as feather soft? Is it gentle on face with soft tips like yaqi purple haze or moka for instance ? Thank you.

It's not quite as soft on the face as a Yaqi Purple Haze, but still plenty soft. I personally like the the loft to diameter ratio better on the Trafalgar and I like the handle a lot more, too, but I can certainly see where others may prefer the Purple Haze, because it is a great brush.

This one just came in (T2 Trafalgar synthetic)
20201015_173242.jpg

I just acquired a T2 myself, given the low price and good reputation of Simpson's. Has any leaned why these Trafalgars are significantly less expensive than their other synthetics?

I'm very happy with mine. I bought it because I'm experimenting with shaving in the shower as a morning time saver, and I didn't want to subject my natural bristle brushes to the sustained higher humidity environment. I do have one other synthetic, an Omega, but it has a wood handle that I also want to keep drying than the shower will allow.

I think I generally prefer scrubbier brushes than this one, i.e., shorter smaller knots. But the T2 still has enough back bone to face lather well with stick soaps. It holds plenty of water and lather my purposes, and has an overall very nice feel.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Has any leaned why these Trafalgars are significantly less expensive than their other synthetics?
The Trafalgar range uses a different fibre known as Sovereign grade while the Chubby 2 and other more expensive synthetic brushes use Platinum grade. The handle production and the knot tying and gluing methods I also suspect to be different but I am not certain of this.

Yesterday, as an experiment, I took the electric hand-mixer from the kitchen and replaced one of its mixing blades with my Simpson T3 to create an Automated Extreme Lathering Building Machine. I set the mixer on the edge of the sink so the faucet could add a slow, continuous drip of water, chose a moderate mixing speed (Turbo!) and walked away as my ELBM relieved me of the insanely arduous and pedestrian task swirling up a good lather!

Two hours, and three-quarters of a soap tub later, I was standing ankle deep in some pretty impressive lather. I could have continued testing but the wife started yelling at me.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Ordered a T2 and an SOC from Fendrihan. For some odd reason they're couriering them to me. I must be important. It was their free shipping option...

Looking forward to their arrival next week!

O.H.

BE9E1E5C-20D5-4DB8-8F6A-FE70550D504C.jpeg

The Trafalgars certainly get their share of hype. The T3 is a decent brush. T1 and T2
....meh. No great shake. The Muhle STF remains best of show in my opinion.

Last edited:
Does the Trafalgar line have a glue bump or are they like the other Simpson synths (no or even a negative glue bump)?
If the glue bump is lower than the edge of the handle, you could use the knot in a different handle with an increased loft.

I had my first shave this morning with a T3 and there's a T2 still in the box that was supposed to be returned in lieu of the T3, but now, having now used the T3, I'm not sure the T2 is going anywhere. Not that I need a three brushes but holy cow that T3 was amaaazing! Denser knot and with a little more backbone than my Maggards brush, which is precisely what I was looking for.

I told myself I wouldn't become an Accumulator... GAH!!

And another one tripped up by the rabbit hole! ;)

I bought a T2 early summer. I needed a handle for a knot, and this seemed like the cheapest route to a nice handle. So far, I have not removed the old synthetic.

I find it to be a useful travel brush as it is. However, I don’t find it very comfortable to face lather with. I’ll see if it loosens up any over time.

Top Bottom