What's new

The Simpson Trafalgar T2 is the best synthetic I have ever used.

Title says it all.
Over the years I have tried quite a few synthetics, maybe not as many as other people, but enough to get a good scope of what's out there.
Persoanlly, I was never a fan of most synthetics. They don't retain water or heat, badgers are best at this, and I have always preferred badger brushes above anything else.
I still prefer badger brushes, but recently I decided to try out one of the newer synthetics, the Trafalgar T2.
My biggest issue with synthetics is not the lack of water or heat retention, they are either floppy as hell, or they are so stiff you can't splay them on your face when you lather.
I have always face lathered and always splay my brushes, I know some people don't splay, that's fine. It always worked for me, and I never ruined a brush by doing so.
I could never find a synthetic brush that splayed the way a badger or boar did, because they were either too floppy or too stiff.
Well, the T2 splays just fine on my face, maybe not as good as a badger, but 90%, and that is good enough.
I am amazed by how great this brush is, especially at this price point, if I didn't know the price of this and someone told me it retailed for 50 bucks I would believe it lol!
I never thought I would say this for a synthetic brush, but this might be a new daily driver for me, I am beyond impressed with this brush!

I've been battling an impulse to order a T1 for weeks. Would you recommend it for somebody who likes scrubby brushes and doesn't splay? (I do firm circular swirls)

I've been battling an impulse to order a T1 for weeks. Would you recommend it for somebody who likes scrubby brushes and doesn't splay? (I do firm circular swirls)
I would not call the T2 scrubby, and since I like to splay brushes I am biased towards that obviously.
I mean, for the price I don't see a reason not to get it!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Honestly, I was very skeptical regarding synthetics. Then, the Trafalgar Series appeared: they were inexpensive, the handles looked beautiful and they were Simpsons... I pulled the trigger on a T2 and loved it. After that I got a T1 and loved it even more. To complete the Series I also got a T3 and, finally, purchased a back-up of each!

I bowl lather and do not splay my brushes when applying the lather (I use painting type strokes). All three sizes of the Trafalgar brushes work great using the method. I would not considered them to be very scrubby, but what's considered "scrubby" is a bit subjective.

If your considering the T1, realize that the T1 and T2 are pretty much the same knot with different handles, so go with whatever handle size you like better and ignore the knot specs. I have both, but could be happy with either one. I also have the T3, but it's too big for me to really enjoy using it.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I like mine, as far as synthetics go. I still prefer a natural hair brush, they seem to hold the lather better while I face lather. Most synthetics seem to fling some soap around the bathroom, must be my aggressive back and forth painting technique and the Trafalgar does it too to a certain extent.

I have a T1 and while it's not the brush in question, since the T2 is, it does come from the same family, and honestly it's one of the best brushes I have owned. I got into synthetics because of Maggards and they had a good little sale going on their own brand, so I pulled the trigger on one, and I really liked it. However the 24MM knot on the one I got was a little too big, and was a little cumbersome and I thought well someone else makes a smaller one, I went to Maggards site, saw the T1 did about 10 minutes of research saw all of the good threads regarding it, went back to the site and ordered it.

I now have a PAA brush on order and we will see how that stacks up, but honestly anyone of the Trafalgar brushes, regardless of size will serve you well. Honestly as others mentioned, it might be the best value out there right now in brushes, and I wonder how many guys are regretting spending $90 or more on something else in synthetic from Simpson when they can spend a 3rd of that and get something just as nice if not nicer.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I wonder how many guys are regretting spending $90 or more on something else in synthetic from Simpson when they can spend a 3rd of that and get something just as nice if not nicer.
How does the performance, build quality, and density etc. of the Sovereign fibre Trafalgar range compare to the Platinum fibre Simpson synthetic brushes? I have a Chubby 2 and a Colonel X2L synthetic and I find them superb but I have not yet tried a Trafalgar brush.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Hmmm interesting guys. How does the knot compare to the chubby 2? The price point is calling me.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I’m a dedicated synth user. I have a T3, and it’s a great brush. And I have a lot of really nice synths. I enjoy the T3 quite a bit.

I don’t have a Simpson chubby and or any of the “high grade” synthetics from Simpson.

Others who might know will hopefully chime in, but a lot of what I’m reading about the T3 is that it’s a poor man chubby model.

As I said I have a T3 and it’s my everyday driver.

How does the performance, build quality, and density etc. of the Sovereign fibre Trafalgar range compare to the Platinum fibre Simpson synthetic brushes? I have a Chubby 2 and a Colonel X2L synthetic and I find them superb but I have not yet tried a Trafalgar brush.

Hmmm interesting guys. How does the knot compare to the chubby 2? The price point is calling me.

In regards to how the Trafalgar brushes compare to Chubby synthetic, here is what I wrote in another thread...

"The Chubby is very different from any of the three Trafalgar brushes. The Chubby is not only more dense, but the fiber used for the knot is much softer and more luxurious feeling. The Trafalgar brushes are really nice, especially for how little they cost, but the Chubby is really something unique and special compared to any other synthetic brush that I've used".

If you want a brush to splay, the Chubby is not the most cooperative, whereas the Trafalgar brushes splay pretty easily.

For me, the Chubby is worth what it costs simply because I like it so much (it's my favorite brush), but I understand that it's price is can be hard to justify when such great brushes can be had for a fraction of it's cost. The Trafalgar T1 and T2 are my second favorite synthetics behind the Chubby.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have a simpson tt. Isle on man brush. Its nothing like the chubby 2. Its floppy. If the t3 knot is the same as tt i just bought a duplicate.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have a T2 coming from England that I purchased off eBay. Hopefully I won’t have to wait to long for it to arrive.

That Isle of Man TT brush is awesome just from a collectors standpoint, as someone that is into motorsports, I've often thought about buying it just to have it in my collection, and leave it in the box. One day someone will find it and think "holy crap this guy was into motorsports"

I can't wait though for my new PAA brush to arrive, I think it will be a welcome change to the T1 and I'll make sure to give that one a proper review as well.

Top Bottom