What's new

The Simpson Duke 3... Pilgrim

Well, Bob (meant to sound like the Duke saying "Well, Pilgrim") since you have found your desert island brush, perhaps one of your next purchases will be a P-V Simpson Duke 3, and you can answer some of the questions you posed earlier in this thread.

finally got my hands on a D3 from superior. i had a D2 way back when i 1st started wet shaving and found it too small, so was hesitant to try the D3.

well, I can now say the D3 lives up to the reviews, recommendations etc, which i did NOT think it would, as it's so highly toughted and talked about being the "best simpson out there". the handle is large enough for my hands (i'm about 6') and was a treat to use (only 1 shave with it so far, but a couple of test lather to defunk it), but it was very nice.

i've owned a Colonel, Rover, D2, Case and Wee...the D3 is the best of those, by a long shot and the only full size that remains (I sill have the Case for travel).

i face lathered it with some 888 and used my DB Bill bowl to refresh it in between passes and it was large enough to bowl lather in there too. the knot is perfect, almost a hybrid loft like my M&F L7 (not fan, not bulb), super soft and dense with some backbone. no issues releasing lather or holding enough for 3 passes, plus 1 lather left on face during clean up. absolutely NO scritch, scub or roughness, it was very soft but still with backbone, but not too much backbone.

i believe mine is 25/48 based on Superior measurments,...regardless of size 24/25 or 48/49, it's a Winner and don't think this one will be sold off like the Colonel and Rover were.

next up in the Simpson lineup will likely be a Tulip T2 in 2 band, which is also supposed to be a top-notch, ultra performance brush, but i'll have to free up some "shave bucks" before I can purchase that one.

Last edited:
D3 in Best or Super?

I have a D3 in Super and Two Band and while both are great I prefer the Two Band.

I did get a T3 in 2-Band from Jarrod which is a great brush. Density and dimensions (26/52mm) make it a "Chubby 2 with a nicer handle" (Jarrod).

:thumbup:
finally got my hands on a D3 from superior. i had a D2 way back when i 1st started wet shaving and found it too small, so was hesitant to try the D3.

well, I can now say the D3 lives up to the reviews, recommendations etc, which i did NOT think it would, as it's so highly toughted and talked about being the "best simpson out there". the handle is large enough for my hands (i'm about 6') and was a treat to use (only 1 shave with it so far, but a couple of test lather to defunk it), but it was very nice.

i've owned a Colonel, Rover, D2, Case and Wee...the D3 is the best of those, by a long shot and the only full size that remains (I sill have the Case for travel).

i face lathered it with some 888 and used my DB Bill bowl to refresh it in between passes and it was large enough to bowl lather in there too. the knot is perfect, almost a hybrid loft like my M&F L7 (not fan, not bulb), super soft and dense with some backbone. no issues releasing lather or holding enough for 3 passes, plus 1 lather left on face during clean up. absolutely NO scritch, scub or roughness, it was very soft but still with backbone, but not too much backbone.

i believe mine is 25/48 based on Superior measurments,...regardless of size 24/25 or 48/49, it's a Winner and don't think this one will be sold off like the Colonel and Rover were.

next up in the Simpson lineup will likely be a Tulip T2 in 2 band, which is also supposed to be a top-notch, ultra performance brush, but i'll have to free up some "shave bucks" before I can purchase that one.

Last edited:
D3 in Best or Super?

I have a D3 in Super and Two Band and while both are great I prefer the Two Band.

I did get a T3 in 2-Band from Jarrod which is a great brush. Density and dimensions (26/52mm) make it a "Chubby 2 with a nicer handle" (Jarrod).

:thumbup:

Mine is just the best 3 band version. As much as i'd like a 2 band, I couldn't pass up the 3 band when he had the deal on a few weeks ago.

I have yet to try a 2 band simpson, so until i know what i'm missing, i won't know better.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I still haven't come across a brush that I prefer over my Simpson Duke 3 in Best.

Bob, with a statement like this coming from you I bought my first Duke 3 Best when I registered on B&B, back in 2009. Thank you, my friend. :thumbup1:

Mine will see action the next few days before passing off duty to the CASE, but am confident the D3 will be a keeper.

I was hesitant to buy given the difference in knot shapes etc that people post about, but purchasing from Superior gave me the option to hand pick my knot, so I knew exactly what type of knot I was getting.

It looks like this brush will be large enough to bowl lather, yet still fantastic at face lathering (which is what I mainly purchased it for).

Here is mine, post bloom (1 use and a few test/rinses) and dry and as you can see, not quite bulb, not quite fan, Hybid Knot just like I wanted. :thumbup:

$IMG_5947.jpg

Last edited:
6 years later I am BACK to exclusively using a Simpson Duke 3 in Best Badger.

WOW, if you long term members and users are using this brush exclusively and haven't found better brushes...I wonder if i should stop pursuing any more? :blink:

Naw...I'll keep looking, but make sure to hold on to the D3 :thumbup:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Sold my beloved D3 Somerset to a very nice B&B member who still owns it to this day. The Duke I recently picked up is very nice and I am quite happy with it. I had fancied an Emperor by Simpson for some time but I believe I better stick to the beautiful simplicity of the Duke.

WOW, if you long term members and users are using this brush exclusively and haven't found better brushes...I wonder if i should stop pursuing any more? :blink:

Naw...I'll keep looking, but make sure to hold on to the D3 :thumbup:

I used the Duke 3 tonight.
I prefer my Rover most of the time, but outside of that the Duke is hard to beat. Paired it with some Tabac tonight for a pure pleasure in shaving.

After seeing Marco and a few other members rave about The Duke 3, it was the first good brush that I bought, and it has almost killed the urge to try to do better. It really performs admirally in any application. The only urge I have is to try 2-band hair and maybe the iconic Chubby. Ha, maybe a Chubby in 2-band will be the end-all be-all for my shaving brush collection.

Top Bottom