What's new

The Simpson 46 Berkeley Thread

I've been getting a bit of inexplicable irritation here and there, feels like a sun burn. I finally realized that it's due to face lathering with my Berkeley. Mine is pretty scrubby, apparently a bit too much so for my face. Anyone else experience this? It's my only Simpson and relatively new, thinking about moving to a Duke 2. Maybe that'll be more agreeable with me. It's a shame b/c it is an incredible face latherer for the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been considering this brush for a while now. I'm currently using a 24mm knot Whipped Dog and a Semogue 1250. I like them both but I'm considering another brush for bowl and face lathering. Would the Simpson Berkeley be better than say a Semogue 620 for this application? I tend to bowl lather now and want to face lather more. There are so many Simpson brushes, I've read through all 10 pages and I've gained a good bit of knowledge already..

I have the Berkeley and the Semogue 610 (essentially the same brush as the 620) and there's not a huge difference in the knot.....one is boar, one is badger. Otherwise, they're both very functional face latherers.

After almost seven years of the C&E/Edwin Jagger BBB, and a few extra dollars in my bank account, I decided to splurge and get a second brush. Berkeley 46B here I come! Some Musgo Real and my first puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat may have fallen into my WCS basket, too...

After almost seven years of the C&E/Edwin Jagger BBB, and a few extra dollars in my bank account, I decided to splurge and get a second brush. Berkeley 46B here I come! Some Musgo Real and my first puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat may have fallen into my WCS basket, too...

You won't regret it. I got a Berkley recently, and it's really a fantastic brush.

It arrived on Tuesday and fortunately I had not yet shaved that day and rushed home to try it out. Perhaps it was overly adventurous to try it out on my newly purchased, first-ever puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat, but I was pretty happy with it. It definitely has more of a backbone than the Edwin Jagger Best Badger. This morning, it did wonders with shave cream.

My only fear is that I will now feel compelled to buy more brushes. My wife is already confused why I need two...

Last edited:
I have this brush (in Best). It's actually the most expensive of any I own! I have been giving it some more work lately after a long stretch of giving two boars most of the duty. It's very enjoyable to use.

The Case is tempting but I'll wait there. A Wee Scot is on the way!

Yep. The Duke (3, 2, or 1) is the quintessential utilitarian workhorse brush. A blue collar worker, if you will. It ain't exactly the prettiest looking brush. It makes copious amounts of lather from any soap or cream, all without whining about the water being too hot or cold, the horrible stench of the that Tabac soap you are using, or the fact that the brush stand is a wire hanger.

+1. My Duke 2 in best is indespensible. Tears up soaps and has perfect face feel for me! #1 in my small den. :thumbup::thumbup:

+1. The Dukes are workhorses indeed. The problem is that a Berkeley may be needed as a result of this thread!

The Berkeley was my first brush over three years ago now. It was my only brush for the first six months of my traditional wet shaving journey. I recently brought it out from its rest and once again it is performing very well. It is just making great lather from my Italian soft soaps. It is out performing some of my other more expensive brushes to the point that I ordered another Simoson (PJ2) and dropping some other brushes out of the rotation.

I received a Berkeley 46 as a Christmas present. I just used it this morning for my shave, and I can tell you this: big things come in small packages. It is very pleasing to the eye and feels great in the hand, and because of its firmness and minimal bloom it builds a great lather while also allowing for precision when applying. While I also received a Parker travel brush as a gift this year, which will be my road companion, the Berkeley is perfectly sized for a travel brush and was a very comfortable fit in my Dopp kit.

As a face latherer, I found this to be an excellent brush, and I expect that it will be featured heavily in my rotation going forward.

Merry Christmas

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
The Berkeley was my first Simpson, a fine brush. I bought it as it was the most economical option for me. Aside from offering good value, it does everything well for me. I’ve been using boar brushes for Decemboar and look forward to reuniting with the 46 in the New Year.

Top Bottom