What's new

...the shaving quest...

I am shortly coming up on my 5 month anniversary of wet-shaving. Yes, I do celebrate that anniversary every month because if provides an excellent excuse to purchase more paraphernalia. Like most other men, as I travel along this quest for smooth shaves, good smells and facial skin health, I am always looking for new products/equipment that make my shave better through either shave quality or simply pleasure of use. The most recent items that have haunted my every waking moment are razors.

About 2 months ago I began pouring over the message boards in an attempt to deduce what razor would be my next perfect purchase (I realize 2 months is a long time but the research is half of my enjoyment). As I began my research, I believed that the Progress was probably my best answer, however, managed to change my mind 4 or 5 times a day while looking at the Futur, Vision, Slant Bar, Super Speed, and any other razor that I read glowing reviews about. Through some observations from my wife and an excellent private discussion with one of the B&B members (I have not asked permission to use his name so will not do so at this point) I finally realized that I will not ever be satisfied with a razor until I have tried all of them. Additionally, if a shaver is truly aware of a razor's qualities and has a good touch, he can get a good shave from any quality razor and probably a decent shave from a less than adequate razor. What a great razor really boils down to is aesthetics, feel, and ease of use. Each one of these factors is very specific to the individual using them which is why most razors have both good and bad reviews.

:c6: Aesthetics are important to me because I believe that along with doing something well, you must look good doing it. If not, your enjoyment is diminished.

:biggrin1: Most shavers will agree that how a razor feels in your hand is important. If it is uncomfortable (and never gets comfortable) then you are constantly focusing on holding the razor and not your shave. Every new-to-you razor will feel different and maybe even uncomfortable at first, however, it should eventually become comfortable or you need to change razors.

:mad2: Ease of use or adaptation for a specific razor will be different for every user. Every shavers motor functions for performing a shave are different. Even when technique is similar, bodies are different and thus so are body movements. While you might be able to adapt to make any razor work, some will be easier and because of that, more enjoyable.

Maybe these are things that most shavers already know or maybe I'm simply trying to explain away my RAD, but after reading 100's of razor reviews, I wanted to share my findings with the rest of you gentlemen.

I thank you all for tolerating my blather and I will post more later as I am signing off now to go purchase a Merkur Slant Bar, and probably some Proraso.

Kyle

Thanks for taking the time to share your observations Kyle.

I largely agree. Most people can come to a consensus on what makes a quality razor, but what makes a personal favorite is highly subjective based on preference.

-Nick

Kyle said:
I am shortly coming up on my 5 month anniversary of wet-shaving. Yes, I do celebrate that anniversary every month because if provides an excellent excuse to purchase more paraphernalia. Like most other men, as I travel along this quest for smooth shaves, good smells and facial skin health, I am always looking for new products/equipment that make my shave better through either shave quality or simply pleasure of use. The most recent items that have haunted my every waking moment are razors.

About 2 months ago I began pouring over the message boards in an attempt to deduce what razor would be my next perfect purchase (I realize 2 months is a long time but the research is half of my enjoyment). As I began my research, I believed that the Progress was probably my best answer, however, managed to change my mind 4 or 5 times a day while looking at the Futur, Vision, Slant Bar, Super Speed, and any other razor that I read glowing reviews about. Through some observations from my wife and an excellent private discussion with one of the B&B members (I have not asked permission to use his name so will not do so at this point) I finally realized that I will not ever be satisfied with a razor until I have tried all of them. Additionally, if a shaver is truly aware of a razor's qualities and has a good touch, he can get a good shave from any quality razor and probably a decent shave from a less than adequate razor. What a great razor really boils down to is aesthetics, feel, and ease of use. Each one of these factors is very specific to the individual using them which is why most razors have both good and bad reviews.

:c6: Aesthetics are important to me because I believe that along with doing something well, you must look good doing it. If not, your enjoyment is diminished.

:biggrin1: Most shavers will agree that how a razor feels in your hand is important. If it is uncomfortable (and never gets comfortable) then you are constantly focusing on holding the razor and not your shave. Every new-to-you razor will feel different and maybe even uncomfortable at first, however, it should eventually become comfortable or you need to change razors.

:mad2: Ease of use or adaptation for a specific razor will be different for every user. Every shavers motor functions for performing a shave are different. Even when technique is similar, bodies are different and thus so are body movements. While you might be able to adapt to make any razor work, some will be easier and because of that, more enjoyable.

Maybe these are things that most shavers already know or maybe I'm simply trying to explain away my RAD, but after reading 100's of razor reviews, I wanted to share my findings with the rest of you gentlemen.

I thank you all for tolerating my blather and I will post more later as I am signing off now to go purchase a Merkur Slant Bar, and probably some Proraso.

Kyle

Kyle,

That could have been ANY of us! Enjoy the slant...it's next on my list!

Randy

Top Bottom