What's new

The Shaving Brush Tree Could Save Us All!

Many of you may have already heard of the Shaving brush tree, but for those who hadn't I thought I'd share a little info and some pics.

The Bombax Ellipticum or Shaving Brush tree is native to Mexico and is a large deciduous tree to about 30 feet suitable down to 18 degrees

Coveted for it's unique brush-like flowers in late winter (often February), the leaves are an attraction as well. Leaves are first bright red turning a fine green as they mature

With minimal water requirements, this is a fine shade tree as well as a show stopper bloomer

This tree is suitable for bonsai treatment as well

Flowers have silky rose-pink stamens topped with yellow pollen

The wood is interesting as well, showing stripping of greens, yellows, browns and white

The ellipticum 'Album' (Pseudobombax) is highly similar except sporting white stamens and yellow pollen tips

There also is a similar-blooming tree; the Latin is Pseudobombax ellipticum. This plant comes in both pink and white

Just think of all the money we could save! :lol::lol:

If you could actually grow a 'real' shaving brush tree what type(s) would you grow? I think mine would be Rooney and Shavemac....

Meh. Looks like a synthetic to me. :biggrin:

It's be neat to have a bonsai version of that one. Well, neat for anyone but me. I have a talent for killing bonsai.

Meh. Looks like a synthetic to me. :biggrin:

It'd be neat to have a bonsai version of that one. Well, neat for anyone but me. I have a talent for killing bonsai.

I thought of TimmyB when I saw that. I remember a while back he was asking about bonsai. I'd just kill the poor thing as well.

Interesting that you would post that today SlagleRock. I was at the local conservatory this afternoon, and my wife pointed out a Shaving Brush Tree. I was quite disappointed as it was not in bloom. Thanks for the pictures.

Interesting that you would post that today SlagleRock. I was at the local conservatory this afternoon, and my wife pointed out a Shaving Brush Tree. I was quite disappointed as it was not in bloom. Thanks for the pictures.

Interesting timing. I'd like to see one close up. Maybe you'll get a chance to return when it/they are in bloom! :cool:

Rob, interesting pictures and thanks for sharing. I think I actually bid on one of those on ebay but got sniped in the last 11 seconds.:001_smile

DL

Top Bottom