What's new

The Segal One-Piece Safety Razor

For those not familiar with the Segal one-piece TTO open comb razor, I present a "Segal newbie" perspective.

Samuel Segal was a prolific entrepreneur and inventor of the early 20th century responsible for many patents covering a range of items and was mostly remembered as someone that perfected and sold high strength security locks.

The Segal safety razor is a unique one-piece ("Unitary") DE razor design that requires proprietary double edge razor blades. It was patented and produced in an era in which Gillette dominated the safety razor market. Externally the Segal appears like it would disassemble as would any typical Gillette razor, but functionally it is quite different.

proxy.php

Rotating the bottom TTO knob extends the top cap up and away from the razor body and positions it so a blade can then be slid over the top cap and seated.

proxy.php

Vintage Segal blades will fit both Segal razors as well as Gillette safety razors of the era, but not vice-versa. Using a Gillette-type blade in a Segal razor requires cutting out an oval portion of the center of the blade in order to properly fit the Segal.

Segal appears to have beaten Gillette to the goal of marketing the first one-piece razor as indicated by a 1938 lawsuit filed by Segal against the Gillette Safety Razor Company in US District court for $3 million dollars* alleging infringement on Segal's patent for the one-piece razor concept (*Source: Lewiston Daily Sun, January 1938).

proxy.php

History would indicate Segal did not prevail in its effort to block Gillette and further litigation by Gillette against Segal for patent infringement of blades would end Segal's production of blades designed to fit both its own razors as well as Gillette models. Such constraints coupled with Gillette's overall market predominance eventually ended Segal's foray into the double edge safety razor market. To date I haven't been able to dig up the date of final production, as these razors are not as well documented as King Gillette's offerings.

In order to use a Segal razor today we have to either scrounge up vintage blades that are pushing 80 years of age (nah...) or use cuticle scissors to modify current production blades (yes!).

Using an original blade as a template, you can outline the center portion to be cut out using a fine tip Sharpie marker. If you don't have an original blade for template purposes you can even wing it by eye. After cutting my first couple of blades, I realized the two tabs which lay at the outer ends of the blade's center cut out (see arrow in pic) serve as positioners when sitting in the Segal razor. Due to this welcome feature, the precision of the center cut is not critical, and can even be a bit ragged or imprecise, as these tabs will ensure the blade is properly oriented.

proxy.php

Revlon or another high quality brand cuticle scissors quickly and easily cuts the .004" thick Gillette Nacet blade to fit the Segal. I had botched my first effort to trim a GSB before realizing the error of my ways :)

Two important notes if you decide to cut your own custom Segal razor blades: Have some form of eye protection on and perform this procedure outside or have some means to contain blade trimmings due to the potential for tiny slivers of stainless steel to be lost while trimming.

The Segal TTO knob features some additional "over turn" to reach full tight after the top cap contacts the razor body. This presses the blade flat and into conformity and very evenly as far as I can tell using my eyes, including the .004" thick Gillette Nacet pictured.

proxy.php

So how does a vintage Segal razor shave with a customized Gillette Nacet? Well let's put it this way - if I were blindfolded and asked to guess the razor without knowing what it was in advance I would have told you I was using a Merkur 34C. I did not sustain one single wound with a two pass plus touch up using Proraso green. In fact its level of mildness triggers a tendency to want to start "drag racing" during the shave.

A razor I would use every day? No, though it could easily fill that role if necessary. However I'm glad to have acquired one as a representative of an era of DE razors that are part of our shaving history.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Great tutorial. Thanks for posting. I have a Segal (the mechanical operation is pretty fascinating) I like to throw in the mix for OCtober. Trim to fit a new blade just as you've illustrated and it gives a good shave. :thumbup1:

Thank you BigJ.

I've seen these razors pop up from time to time but it wasn't until I took possession of one that I realized its uniqueness. I can't be sure and would have to have my suspicions verified but it would seem these razors did not endure a long production life due to the litigation with Gillette.

One thing that surprised me was its level of mildness. I fully anticipated it to shave like a Gillette Old Type but it wasn't even close. A great razor that requires a bit of additional effort to put into service, but eminently practical to do so.

Great post Lane, very informative! If it would interest you, I have several spare tucks of vintage Segal blades, that I would be happy to send you. They were given to me by a kind older gentleman from California. I don't want anything for them, and it would be my pleasure to send some your way. If you would like to have a few tucks, please feel free to pm me your address, and I will mail some off to you on Tuesday of next week. It would be my pleasure.

Great post Lane, very informative! If it would interest you, I have several spare tucks of vintage Segal blades, that I would be happy to send you. They were given to me by a kind older gentleman from California. I don't want anything for them, and it would be my pleasure to send some your way. If you would like to have a few tucks, please feel free to pm me your address, and I will mail some off to you on Tuesday of next week. It would be my pleasure.

Yes that would be spectacular!

Please tell me anything you need in return (some GSB?) of which I have many.

PM on the way, thank you sir!

The Holy Grail of Segal razors must be this early model. Just try and find one!

View attachment 659827

[FONT=&quot]That is incredibly cool; I've never seen that one. There are also a number of other (later) Segals, including at least a couple of different handle variations on the original OC design, and you will also see the same razor marked with the Schaeffer brand. Segal also made a really interesting, solid guard, adjustable version of their razor:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
attachment.php

This is an adjustable that, according to my information, was patented in 1946, long before the first Fat Boy hit the market. As you can see from the instruction card, the Segal adjusts by providing different levels of tension on the cap after initial closure, the same principal applied with loosening the handle on a three piece razor. The difference with the Segal is that it provides three positive click stops on the TTO knob, thus affording three repeatable and secure settings, each with a different graduated degree of bend in the blade. As a practical matter, it’s not a very wide range of adjustment, but it is functional and pretty avant-garde for its day. Segal also made, I believe, a three piece, open comb razor that takes a standard blade. I have only ever seen pictures of one of these, but I’d love to actually get my hands on one.

[/FONT]

I have cased versions of the Segal OpenIMG_2935.JPG IMG_2939.JPG IMG_2940.JPG Comb as well as the rare Safety Bar Adjustable. Both provide excellent shaves as long as you modify a standard DE blade using an old Segal blade as a template. Trust me, it's an easy modification.

Top Bottom