What's new

The secrets of the thuringian...

Does anybody got any tips how to get the most out of this hone? I haven't used it much but i noticed a couple things:
a) it changes the shape of the edge the way a coticule or la lune does. I don't know how to explain it, maybe it feels like it changes the bevel angel to wider angle. Like if you took an edge to finish completely on arks then went 20 strokes on a coticule. The way it would pull some of the bite out of the edge.
b) it's nowhere nearly as fast as la lune
c) it doesn't seem to eat steel much at all(mine is black but the leaped surface is gray.

If anybody wants to throw some pointers it'd be appreciated! I like the size of the hone, but i wish i could have gotten it out of the box. The lid comes off so that helps. I had to lapp like 4mm off of it, it looked like small chisels or gouges had been honed on it A LOT.

20210816_122848.jpg

Greeting not an expert and only owned my black molted escher 5.9 x 1.9,,,, 3 months or so

I would say stone dependent and try what works best for you

I use water [emoji97] only,,, a zen almost silky slurry , touch feel only occurs,,,, can’t explain but zen
I concentrate on strokes and various parts of bladeI love the size, zen makes me concentrate
Best stone to hone on
I take my time concentrate on strokes
Zen[emoji433][emoji433][emoji433]

I also tried raising a slight slurry using,, with Atoma 400
It refresh razor to outstanding

But water only is zen phenomenal and produces best results for me
I only have a Swedish steel razor which loves the Escher but dependent on steel, may take longer but total zen

Water only,,, 15 strokes before each shave which is probably a overkill produces a sharp and incredible smooth, i mean smooth like no other natural ive experience
My Escher was found in a private collection estate and is a phenomenal finisher
Hope this helps
There is the show me your thurigan thread
Nice stone you have
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Greeting not an expert and only owned my black molted escher 5.9 x 1.9,,,, 3 months or so

I would say stone dependent and try what works best for you

I use water [emoji97] only,,, a zen almost silky slurry , touch feel only occurs,,,, can’t explain but zen
I concentrate on strokes and various parts of bladeI love the size, zen makes me concentrate
Best stone to hone on
I take my time concentrate on strokes
Zen[emoji433][emoji433][emoji433]

I also tried raising a slight slurry using,, with Atoma 400
It refresh razor to outstanding

But water only is zen phenomenal and produces best results for me
I only have a Swedish steel razor which loves the Escher but dependent on steel, may take longer but total zen

Water only,,, 15 strokes before each shave which is probably a overkill produces a sharp and incredible smooth, i mean smooth like no other natural ive experience
My Escher was found in a private collection estate and is a phenomenal finisher
Hope this helps
There is the show me your thurigan thread
Nice stone you have
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Nice stone! Ive read 100+ laps on it which doesn't sound like a lot to an ark guy, but my thuri feels similar to my la lune and if i went past 10-12 on it my blade would began to dull again.

On a 5x1", depending on what you are coming off of, going to need more than 10 laps. I mean 10 laps after something like a coticule may be fine (depends on the coticule), but off a Norton 8k, Nani 5k, or anything in that range, I'd start at 50 and then try 100 and see if the 100 edge is better. If what you're coming off of is coarser than those stones, you could be in for a LOT of work on the Thuri.

I tend to do 30-50 on 6x2, 7x1.5, etc sized stones coming off DMT 8000. A little overkill, but not a ton.

Thuri's are fast for how fine they are, but they are VERY fine and they were generally praised as being "impossible to make a wire edge" on. Which is likely referring to what you describe on your lune as "(beginning) to dull again".

Yes agree must have good starting point
Should have indicated more specific
Razor in pic ,,, had about 50/60 laps
Now into about 8 shave, but i do few laps prior to each shave
I purchased a la lune as al i lusted after a thuri/ escher,,,,, i own both

Some reports degradation if to many laps on lalune
Not sure if true and have not tested yet,
La lune is not a thuri or escher
While the lune can achieve a kinda thuri like edge , smooth,,, no where close to a escher edge
My initial impressions

Yes agree must have good starting point
Should have indicated more specific
Razor in pic ,,, had about 50/60 laps
Now into about 8 shave, but i do few laps prior to each shave
I purchased a la lune as al i lusted after a thuri/ escher,,,,, i own both

Some reports degradation if to many laps on lalune
Not sure if true and have not tested yet,
La lune is not a thuri or escher
While the lune can achieve a kinda thuri like edge , smooth,,, no where close to a escher edge
My initial impressions
I found that 10-15 is perfect on la lune, it eats steel so fast is take your edge right off.

On a 5x1", depending on what you are coming off of, going to need more than 10 laps. I mean 10 laps after something like a coticule may be fine (depends on the coticule), but off a Norton 8k, Nani 5k, or anything in that range, I'd start at 50 and then try 100 and see if the 100 edge is better. If what you're coming off of is coarser than those stones, you could be in for a LOT of work on the Thuri.

I tend to do 30-50 on 6x2, 7x1.5, etc sized stones coming off DMT 8000. A little overkill, but not a ton.

Thuri's are fast for how fine they are, but they are VERY fine and they were generally praised as being "impossible to make a wire edge" on. Which is likely referring to what you describe on your lune as "(beginning) to dull again".
I usually avoid synths like the plague but I've approached the thuri like a translucent or black ark so i only use it if I'm well over 8k, probably closer to 10k. I just need to play with it a lot more but I've got more stones in front of it in line.

Top Bottom