What's new

The secrets of the antique scuttle, perhaps the most misunderstood piece of shaving gear

So Wisconsin winters are long and cold, and in an effort to keep myself occupied I decided to dig out an antique scuttle from the back of my closet and figure out how to use it. IMG_20230118_051850513.jpg
Now there are lots of theories around the internet and even this forum on how one should be used. Some say you should mash soap in the bowl to load the brush for face lathering, some say it was meant to build lather in the little bowl and the steam rises through the little holes to warm the lather. The most plausible theory was that the soap puck was held in the hand and loaded and then used as a soap dish.

I think these theories are wrong personally. The purpose of a scuttle is to create a warm lather before each pass. And I have figured out a way to do just that. I don't know if it's historically correct, but it works.

So I think one misconception is the brush should be loaded from the soap. I believe the holes in the bottom of the bowl are for drainage, and then the soap should be picked up and rubbed all over the face like a shave stick, then the brush should be taken from the hot water, used to build lather on the face, and then returned to the water to keep warm for the next pass.

I have tried this method the past few days and it works really well. Instead of trying to build all the lather at once and keep it warm like more modern scuttles you simply make hot lather as you need it.

Razor emporium has a video somewhere that they tested how long each type of brush holds heat. If I remember correctly, badger was the best but even then it only held heat for about 30-40 seconds, so having to return the brush to the warm water to reheat while you shave makes sense.

I wasn't alive in the late 1800's/early 1900's, but I'm assuming you needed to heat water in a tea kettle on the wood stove and had a wash basin instead of a sink. Being they didn't have hot tap water on demand, I think building hot lather as needed was the most practical option.

Again, not sure if historically correct, but I did get three warm lathers from my puck of arko, and it's much smaller than modern scuttles too! So that's a bonus if you have a small space.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Thank you for the write up! I have that exact same scuttle at home. For me the most finicky part is the hot water part. Too hot a water and the lather breaks. Do you find face lathering gives you more of a leeway in terms of temperature? Because it's sorta spread thinner/cools quicker and the lather isn't sitting in a bath of hot water? And that's its the hot water warming your face and not warmed lather, if you get what I'm trying to say?

Thank you for the write up! I have that exact same scuttle at home. For me the most finicky part is the hot water part. Too hot a water and the lather breaks. Do you find face lathering gives you more of a leeway in terms of temperature? Because it's sorta spread thinner/cools quicker and the lather isn't sitting in a bath of hot water? And that's its the hot water warming your face and not warmed lather, if you get what I'm trying to say?
Yes. I just use the warmest water I can get out of the tap. If the brush is too warm take it out of the water and let it sit 10-15 seconds before lathering, if the brush is too cold, dump the water in the scuttle and refill with hot water and re soak the brush for 10-15 seconds before lathering.

IMG_20220814_134441974_HDR.jpg

I make lather on my face after loading my brush from the puck. I do soak of brush in warm water in the bottom. Then fill with hot water. I rest my brush on the top where the holes are and that keeps my brush warm. So I dont put my soap puck in the top.

If I hadn't run out of room to store shave gear (I have a bedroom full) I'd start collecting these cool cups.

Wow! Great write-up. I have never used a scuttle but they've always been in the back of my mind. I've always thought that the "soap holder" part was for making lather and it would get messy because they all look like they wouldn't be big enough.

I shave with a lot of bar soap. Typically Savon de Marseille or PdP olive oil soaps because they don't trigger my skin issues. This opens up a whole new world for me doing it the way you described.

I think I'll start hunting Ebay for one now.

View attachment 1590276

I make lather on my face after loading my brush from the puck. I do soak of brush in warm water in the bottom. Then fill with hot water. I rest my brush on the top where the holes are and that keeps my brush warm. So I dont put my soap puck in the top.

If I hadn't run out of room to store shave gear (I have a bedroom full) I'd start collecting these cool cups.
I have also considered these more of a brush warmer. Using it as you’ve described.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks @Jbird45 for the experimentation and write up on the antique scuttle. I found it informative and interesting.

We have two sinks in our master bathroom. I use the second sink (my wife's side) to keep the lather in my shaving bowl warm. I use the Timeless Blue "modest" shaving bowl for all my shave now. I scrape or smooth out the soap on the bottom, add some warm water and let the bowl float in that sink full of hot water as I shower before the first pass..... make the lather, drain some water out of the sink so the bowl, lather and brush don't tip over... That keeps everything warm for the subsequent passes and touch-ups as needed.

Those scuttles are very cool. I don't own one but I have looked at a variety of them. I do like warm later for all the passes. How people get there varies.. and then, you have the cold water advocates. I've tried that but prefer a warm water shave.

So Wisconsin winters are long and cold, and in an effort to keep myself occupied I decided to dig out an antique scuttle from the back of my closet and figure out how to use it.View attachment 1590196
Now there are lots of theories around the internet and even this forum on how one should be used. Some say you should mash soap in the bowl to load the brush for face lathering, some say it was meant to build lather in the little bowl and the steam rises through the little holes to warm the lather. The most plausible theory was that the soap puck was held in the hand and loaded and then used as a soap dish.

I think these theories are wrong personally. The purpose of a scuttle is to create a warm lather before each pass. And I have figured out a way to do just that. I don't know if it's historically correct, but it works.

So I think one misconception is the brush should be loaded from the soap. I believe the holes in the bottom of the bowl are for drainage, and then the soap should be picked up and rubbed all over the face like a shave stick, then the brush should be taken from the hot water, used to build lather on the face, and then returned to the water to keep warm for the next pass.

I have tried this method the past few days and it works really well. Instead of trying to build all the lather at once and keep it warm like more modern scuttles you simply make hot lather as you need it.

Razor emporium has a video somewhere that they tested how long each type of brush holds heat. If I remember correctly, badger was the best but even then it only held heat for about 30-40 seconds, so having to return the brush to the warm water to reheat while you shave makes sense.

I wasn't alive in the late 1800's/early 1900's, but I'm assuming you needed to heat water in a tea kettle on the wood stove and had a wash basin instead of a sink. Being they didn't have hot tap water on demand, I think building hot lather as needed was the most practical option.

Again, not sure if historically correct, but I did get three warm lathers from my puck of arko, and it's much smaller than modern scuttles too! So that's a bonus if you have a small space.
And I just bought one off of Ebay. Everyone here is an enabler whether they intend to be or not. 😂😂

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

Excellent write up on your scuttle findings and being retired I did a simple test on brushes to see what is the best for winter enjoyment for ultimate heat retentions.

All I did was get the warm water running from facet and fill the salad bowl to a temperature of 130'F and let the brushes soak for a minute and then stood them up as shown after a flick to remove bulk of water(simulating a brush to start lathering with). The brushes in room temperature where 72'F and when immersed in the water for the 1 minute and then stood up for short testing they were indicating 100'F at start fairly evenly, then every 5 minute I took a reading.
The badger brushes are the best because they create lots of smaller clumps of hair after 1 flicking off the water to start the testing, the next best was the boar brush and it would of been used for the scuttles back 100 years ago because of costs and where readily available.
The scuttles back 100 years ago at opening for pouring hot water in looks more for the smaller brushes of that time that where used also. I live in a cold place(Northern Alberta Canada) during winter and now I know the best brush to use when heating up my shave bowl for maximum enjoyment. During the summer months for a nice cooler shave a badger and boar might be slightly better also?
Heat  retention of shave brushes 2.jpg

I did the little experiment to find the ideal brush for my ceramic lather bowl when I warm it up under the sink for my warm lather. I heard badgers retain the heat the best but never seen any proof of it. Now I know the badgers are the better choice!
All brushes where 24mm according to Manufacture(Yaqi).
Heat  retention of shave brushes 1.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
So Wisconsin winters are long and cold, and in an effort to keep myself occupied I decided to dig out an antique scuttle from the back of my closet and figure out how to use it.View attachment 1590196

It is not a scuttle. It is a shaving mug. They originate from days when houses only had one bathroom, or no bathroom at all as was often the case. They were designed for use with pucks. The holes were for the puck to drain. Brushes were placed "bristles down" in the hot water. They are not great things to use, but they were al that existed for a very long time. Hot water is essential for all wet shaves.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I believe that to be a traditional scuttle and that it was used with the soap puck in the top. I have seen the top part with the drainage holes used for lathering but I do not think that is how the scuttle was used. I think you load the brush from the puck in the top and then face lather or transfer to a lathering bowl. In the days before indoor plumbing you would have a jug, basin and mirror in your room. You would want to avoid polluting the whole basin of clean water with soap and bristles so you would use the scuttle for the entire shaving process, wiping your straight razor with a towel, not in the basin. This method also minimises the volume of water used for the shave which is an advantage in the absence of indoor plumbing.

I believe that to be a traditional scuttle and that it was used with the soap puck in the top. I have seen the top part with the drainage holes used for lathering but I do not think that is how the scuttle was used. I think you load the brush from the puck in the top and then face lather or transfer to a lathering bowl. In the days before indoor plumbing you would have a jug, basin and mirror in your room. You would want to avoid polluting the whole basin of clean water with soap and bristles so you would use the scuttle for the entire shaving process, wiping your straight razor with a towel, not in the basin. This method also minimises the volume of water used for the shave which is an advantage in the absence of indoor plumbing.

Yes, I think they would have face lathered. If you were lucky, it would have been accompanied by jug & basin. If it all had to be carried up three or four flights of stairs, the water would have soon have become tepid. It is not surprising that those who could afford it would gladly pay for shave. I think that the area for the pucks was a standard size. My local chemist/pharmacist still sells them and they fit perfectly!

No, thanks. This'll be fun to experiment with. The cost of the scuttle was great- the shipping was not.

Apparently, it's from the same maker as yours. Here's a pic from Ebay. It was one of the only ones with that style brush "spout" on there. That was the main selling point for me, because it looks like it can accommodate all sizes of brushes that way. Some of the other ones I looked at seemed like they would only accept the really short brushes of yesteryear.
antiquescuttle.jpg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I don't own any vintage mugs or scuttles, so I I am not able to join you in your vintage awesomeness. 😥

proxy.php

Having said that however, I do own a modern Captains Choice Starry Night scuttle. The purpose of a scuttle, is to keep your lather and brush warm. For those who live in northern climates, a shaving scuttle is absolutely essential. So here is how I do it, with my modern CC scuttle...

Step 1.

I heat up water in my electric kettle, and then pour the water into the mouth of the scuttle, to fill up the heat chamber.

proxy.php

Step 2.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I use a Bouillon teaspoon, to scoop up the soap from the puk, I then place that soap into the scuttles lather area, and then I use my thumb, to smoosh it down evenly.

proxy.php

Step 3.

Using the same spoon, I put a teaspoon of water into the lather to start. And then I begin working up a lather with my brush. As the lather begins to get pasty, I add another teaspoon to the lather, and continue working it till I get as close to a creamy yogurt consistency of lather possible.

proxy.php

Scuttle Notes.

In my experience, shaving scuttles have such a small lather area, that its literally impossible to work up a lather, using a large shaving brush. I first tried to work up a lather using my Maseto Avatar 30mm knot brush, and it wasn't happening, I had to finish off doing a face lather I failed so bad.

proxy.php

As you can see, it just wasn't happening! The brush is just so huge, its impossible to have room in order to work the bubbles out. I also tried using my scuttle with my smaller 24mm APSHAVECO Lagoon brush, and the knot size is still too big! So thats when I decided to get my Omega 636 ST Badger brush with its 21mm knot.

proxy.php

This brush is small enough at least, and allows me to make a lather in my scuttle. So I would say the brush size limit for scuttles, should be around 21mm. Having said that however, if you have an even smaller brush, say one of those 18mm little Wee Scotts I hear about, that would be even better!

After I lather up for each pass, I set the brush back down in the lather area, as pictured above. This allows the scuttle to keep the brush warm as well. After completing a pass, when I go to pickup my brush again, its really warm, and it feels so nice as I apply the lather to my face, its like a warm facial massage, nothing better!

By using hot kettle water, I find, that it keeps my lather nice and warm for up to an hour worth of shaving time. It really helps that these scuttles are made of ceramic, as ceramic is an excellent material, to transfer heat. In my experience, I also discovered, that its a good idea to put a towel down on the counter surface, and to place the scuttle down on the towel. If you don't, you will have an extra bit of mess to clean up on the counter, trust me, been there, done that lol.

Then when I am done with the scuttle, I just pour out the water from the water chamber, and rinse out the lather spot in the sink, turn it upside to dry on a towel, simple. I love warm lather! 😍

Modern scuttles do have certain appeal as they are usually made by artisan potters. They borrow the word scuttle from the original devices which resembled coal scuttles. The best modern design, I feel, is the one with cork in. If you have a accident carrying one upstairs, you are less likely to scald yourself. I think I already spend an inordinate amount of time shaving. The introduction of a modern scuttle would only make matters worse. Multiple passes are often unnecessary if you shave daily and good equipment.

I don't own any vintage mugs or scuttles, so I I am not able to join you in your vintage awesomeness. 😥

proxy.php

Having said that however, I do own a modern Captains Choice Starry Night scuttle. The purpose of a scuttle, is to keep your lather and brush warm. For those who live in northern climates, a shaving scuttle is absolutely essential. So here is how I do it, with my modern CC scuttle...

Step 1.

I heat up water in my electric kettle, and then pour the water into the mouth of the scuttle, to fill up the heat chamber.

proxy.php

Step 2.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I use a Bouillon teaspoon, to scoop up the soap from the puk, I then place that soap into the scuttles lather area, and then I use my thumb, to smoosh it down evenly.

proxy.php

Step 3.

Using the same spoon, I put a teaspoon of water into the lather to start. And then I begin working up a lather with my brush. As the lather begins to get pasty, I add another teaspoon to the lather, and continue working it till I get as close to a creamy yogurt consistency of lather possible.

proxy.php

Scuttle Notes.

In my experience, shaving scuttles have such a small lather area, that its literally impossible to work up a lather, using a large shaving brush. I first tried to work up a lather using my Maseto Avatar 30mm knot brush, and it wasn't happening, I had to finish off doing a face lather I failed so bad.

proxy.php

As you can see, it just wasn't happening! The brush is just so huge, its impossible to have room in order to work the bubbles out. I also tried using my scuttle with my smaller 24mm APSHAVECO Lagoon brush, and the knot size is still too big! So thats when I decided to get my Omega 636 ST Badger brush with its 21mm knot.

proxy.php

This brush is small enough at least, and allows me to make a lather in my scuttle. So I would say the brush size limit for scuttles, should be around 21mm. Having said that however, if you have an even smaller brush, say one of those 18mm little Wee Scotts I hear about, that would be even better!

After I lather up for each pass, I set the brush back down in the lather area, as pictured above. This allows the scuttle to keep the brush warm as well. After completing a pass, when I go to pickup my brush again, its really warm, and it feels so nice as I apply the lather to my face, its like a warm facial massage, nothing better!

By using hot kettle water, I find, that it keeps my lather nice and warm for up to an hour worth of shaving time. It really helps that these scuttles are made of ceramic, as ceramic is an excellent material, to transfer heat. In my experience, I also discovered, that its a good idea to put a towel down on the counter surface, and to place the scuttle down on the towel. If you don't, you will have an extra bit of mess to clean up on the counter, trust me, been there, done that lol.

Then when I am done with the scuttle, I just pour out the water from the water chamber, and rinse out the lather spot in the sink, turn it upside to dry on a towel, simple. I love warm lather! 😍
I concur with everything SWCT just said!👍😊💈
229E6FFE-4449-49C8-BA60-D6F3BB1A9FBF.jpeg
0D82C814-DF39-4C39-904E-87C0D669E74F.jpeg

Top Bottom