What's new

The secret ingredient that makes Southern cornbread so delicious!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Most times in our house, we make our Jalapeno or Vidalia onion cast-iron cornbread. :thumbsup:

By Karen Hart - mashed - 10 Oct 2020

"Southerners are mighty particular about their cornbread. If someone ever asks you if you like it sweet or a little salty and piquant, play it safe and take a middle of the road answer. Trust us. There's actually a pretty deep divide between those who like their cornbread sweet and those who prefer it a little more on the savory side. However, it turns out as much as we love sweet cornbread – especially with honey butter – it may be more of a modern twist on this favorite bread of the British colonists with whom it seems to have originated.

According to the Charlotte Observer and Michael Twitty, a culinary historian devoted to preserving and promoting African American foodways, breads baked up with cornmeal by those first colonists were not created sweet nor were they sweetened afterward. The paper quotes Twitty as saying, "Why would you put sugar in something? It was a valuable commodity. They didn't need to put sugar in it, they used molasses on everything. That was the poor man's condiment. Quick energy, quick carbohydrate, and a source of iron in the diet."

So how do you achieve the more authentic savory version of this Southern staple? Well, after a little internet sleuthing, we've found there's a secret – or perhaps not-so-secret ingredient – that makes savory Southern cornbread absolutely mouthwatering. What is it?

Bacon.jpg

Bacon drippings help create the most delectable cornbread
The secret ingredient to make your cornbread smoky and tasty is bacon drippings (see recipe). :a23:

Yep, you read that right. What could be more Southern? On the Epicurious site, Sheri Castle describes using this salty grease as a must to form a "crispy bottom crust that tastes like a good hushpuppy." While Simply Recipes notes that bacon drippings make certain the cornbread doesn't stick to your cast iron skillet – the "it" pan to bake your cornbread in. And, of course, any time you add bacon's delectable flavor to a dish, it greatly increases the umami level.

This savory type of cornbread tends to be more crumbly and just less cake-like overall in its taste and appearance. It is quite satisfying to both your taste buds and your olfactory receptors – a win-win. However, Simply Recipes also suggests that if you want to, you can add a tablespoon of sugar. They insist this will not sweeten up the bread, but it will enhance the taste of the cornmeal. So, if you want to up your cornbread game and cook it like a Southern pro, don't forget the bacon drippings.

Works Cited: The secret ingredient that makes Southern Cornbread so delicious

So...what's your 'take' (and or recipe), on Cornbread
proxy.php

1602474503885.png
"[...]Perhaps no bread in the world is quite as good as Southern corn bread,[...]". Mark Twain

ive never had cornbread before..maybe next week ill try baking it
It's really pretty easy. Real Southern cornbread is made with stone ground white corn meal, baking powder, buttermilk, butter and salt and that's about it. The proper baking pan is a cast iron skillet with bacon grease in it. The Yankee version is more like a cake with 50% wheat flour, eggs, sugar and all kinds of other unnecessary ingredients added.
:laugh:

If you want something sweet on your cornbread, the proper answer is sorghum molasses.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
We love cornbread. Ours falls somewhere between Southern and Northern with stone ground cornmeal, buttermilk, eggs, baking powder, and either green chiles or jalapeños, cooked in cast iron with bacon fat. We also love spoon bread, a very Virginian cousin of cornbread.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Bacon grease in cornbread is a secret? If so, it's the worst kept secret since Liberace's sexual orientation.

My cornbread recipe is fairly basic, but I do include both onion and cheese--just a little bit of each. The resulting cornbread is neither cheesy nor oniony at all, but they make a big difference for moisture, flavor, and substance.

Another "secret" I have is to let the cornbread cool completely before serving. If you don't do that, then it's too wet in the center. If you bake it so long that it's not too wet in the center when it comes out of the oven, then you've overcooked it, and it'll be terribly dry once it cools. If I know that the whole thing will be devoured in one sitting, then I'm happy to overcook it and have warm cornbread, but my household is too small to eat the whole thing.

If you want to serve warm cornbread (and we all know how good that is!) then just reheat it. A toaster oven works great for that. Run your cut wedges through a long toast cycle.
  • 2 cups corn meal
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons melted fat (preferably bacon grease) or oil for the mix
  • 1-2 tablespoons fat (preferably bacon grease) or oil, for the skillet
  • 2-3 tablespoons sharp cheddar cheese, grated finely
  • 2-3 tablespoons sweet or yellow onion, finely minced or grated
Preheat your oven and 8" cast iron skillet to 450F. Assemble ingredients, but keep wet and dry separate. Once the oven and skillet are hot, add the skillet fat to the skillet and return to the oven. Mix the wet and dry together (a whisk of some sort works very well) and dump in the skillet (make sure the fat is good and hot--you want a sizzle when the batter goes in). Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and just slightly wet. The cornbread should rise in the center and pull slightly away from the sides of the skillet. Let cool completely.

This is an easy recipe to play with, too. I love adding any of the following (singly or in come combination): green chiles (a few tablespoons), chipotles (3-4 in adobo), cumin (1/2-1 teaspoon), paprika, smoked paprika, fresh or dried herbs (1/2-1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary is divine).

As a yankee I prefer some sweetness to my cornbread. My DW, however, prefers hers unsweet. She was raised in Alabama. So this makes sense. Generally, when I make cornbread I will make it semi-sweet and we like both jalapenos and cheese mixed in. Next time I will try it with bacon grease.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m not surprised one bit! But I’ll say...I’ve never had it with bacon I don’t believe.

My dad was born in West TN and he made it with onion and whole kernel corn, along with the meal and whatnot. My aunt (dad’s sister) would make it the same way but it would be sweet, so I’m guessing she added the sugar.

But now...next time we make cornbread in this house we are gonna add bacon. Every time we fry bacon we save the grease and use it for lots of stuff. Like frying eggs in it.

I’ve never been a fan of raw tomatoes so when I have BLT’s I would just add extra bacon. Actually they wouldn’t be BLT’s at all. Toasted bread, bacon, mayo, lettuce, onion, and more bacon. Yum.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
We fry our corn bread and not bake it..

Considering that I put enough fat in the skillet that it comes all the way up the sides and over some of the top of the batter, mine is pretty much fried, too. It gets a great crust.

GASP!!!!!! You don’t mean he’s straight, do you????

The jury might still be out, but I can tell you where the smart money is going.

Top Bottom