What's new

The Search for Shaving Zen

Virtus is my chief source of brush envy. There's a cobalt handle calling my name as soon as I figure out what I want in the knot!

Haha; I appreciate it. The cobalt is awesome too and was on my short-list when I got the 25mm STF. If you're after a synthetic I can whole-heartedly recommend the STF. Both the 23 and 25mm are excellent though quite different; it would be difficult but if I could only keep one it would be the 25.

Blackbird Ti
Bic CP (2)
A&E SoCal Hipster
Rudy Vey 23mm STF

Final verdict is the Bic CP is definitely not for me. I took it really easy and it was still really uncomfortable and caused irritation. I'll call the results CUS (Close Uncomfortable Shave). I had to really back off around my chin so results there would probably fall under SAS.

I am so stealing that rating, Virtus3! I have needed something like that recently. The goal rating for me (which I also stole from another member (am I a problem child?!) is RCS, for Really Comfortable Shave. I stopped chasing babies butts and dolphin skin and glass finishes, as they often result in irritation. RCS for me is an efficient yet comfortable shave. I have a separate rating, Refreshed, that I tack on. It is also a goal, but the standard SAS or CCS or DFS can be refreshing, so I keep it separate.
For me, tops is RCS, followed by refreshed only, and lastly, as of now, CUS!
(TMI, I know, sorry!) (not sorry!) :001_tongu

I am so stealing that rating, Virtus3! I have needed something like that recently. The goal rating for me (which I also stole from another member (am I a problem child?!) is RCS, for Really Comfortable Shave. I stopped chasing babies butts and dolphin skin and glass finishes, as they often result in irritation. RCS for me is an efficient yet comfortable shave. I have a separate rating, Refreshed, that I tack on. It is also a goal, but the standard SAS or CCS or DFS can be refreshing, so I keep it separate.
For me, tops is RCS, followed by refreshed only, and lastly, as of now, CUS!
(TMI, I know, sorry!) (not sorry!) :001_tongu

CUS felt quite relevant for the experience!

A few new firsts last night worthy of an update.

Blackbird Ti
Personna Lab Blue (1)
PAA Future Fiction
Rudy Vey 25mm STF

Tried the Personna Lab Blue blades for the first time and was very impressed; maybe a half step behind the Nacet and Perma-Sharp in smoothness if I had to be critical but overall a very comfortable and efficient blade. Did 3 passes and some minor touch-ups for a near BBS result. I've had some minor breakouts around my lower lip and chin so trying to take it a bit easier there for now. Now that Blackland carries the 100-pack of Lab Blues I will probably order a pack with the Blackbird Ti OC plate when it's released.

Also used the sample of Future Fiction for the first time. I would call the scent cologne-like, which I generally don't prefer, but will make an exception for FF as it's absolutely intoxicating. I can't really pick out any specific notes and even my wife said she would just call it a "manly blend" but she likes it too.

Being a sample jar it was the first time I've spooned a soap into my bowl to lather. I'm still getting used to the 25mm STF and just how much dang water it holds so I way overhydrated from the start. Lather ended up much runnier than I prefer and was dripping down my chest but the CK-6 base showed it's versatility as performance was still excellent. Each pass I always do around my mouth last and found I wanted to re-lather before hitting those areas on my 2nd and 3rd pass as the lather was starting to dry out by the time I got there.

Future Fiction.jpeg

Blackbird Ti
Personna Lab Blue (2)
SW Pomona
Rudy Vey 23mm STF

Been a bit under the weather and haven't shaved in a few days. Felt good to get cleaned up.

Did an easy two pass shave and some very minor touch-ups for a DFS. Pomona smelled wonderful even being stuffed up.

I'm definitely going to pick up some more Lab Blue blades. They're really good in the Bird; although I've found they like a slightly shallower/neutral angle compared to the Nacet or Perma-Sharp.

Haven't used my 23mm STF in a while. I think it may actually still be my favorite brush.

C410D87B-3687-468D-96CF-F1A74C356E15.jpeg

Top Bottom