What's new

The Scottish Davies Rythmic adjustable grail in da house!!

AF2FB5BA-CE8E-4C7A-9381-25EF89344E5D.png

Honestly I never ever thought I’d get me one of these - my holy grail razor. But here it is en route to the Northstonehill headquarters, still cannot believe it: Meet the Davies Rythmic adjustable razor.

This specimen appears to be in great original condition as is the gorgeous original bakelite case. Only things missing are the blade banks, but who is counting - this sucker is incredibly hard to find!

From what I know the Davies Rythmic was patented in 1937-38. British patent number 466228. And it was manufactured at the Davies Razor Co., Central Chambers, 93 Hope Street in Glasgow Scotland. Material AFAIK is nickel or chromed brass. The adjustability is infinite like a Gibbs or a L’Essor Le Supreme.

And yes, it does look like a freak but it is reportedly a mighty fine shaver. And it even takes standard blades. Below I attach some photos of the functionality in mounting the blade. The razor in those pictures belongs to my shaving friend Tom who has been fortunate to own one for a while. And who pointed me to this one, thanks Tom!!!

I am stoked! And now the long wait...:a46:

5235A8C8-EDC4-4911-AB46-B68B32B336CD.jpeg4FE39DC6-CDBE-428F-ADA2-87891B0A648A.jpegCB8A3300-6D08-4C25-AD39-75367966B698.jpeg8B3BBBA0-BB24-4C2B-A48D-4AB09F36FEF4.jpeg

Congratulations! It's great to know that another one of these beauties will be in the hands of someone who appreciates it. I hope you enjoy it!

What the pictures do not show is how the movement of the bottom plate is poetry in motion. When you turn the bottom knob, the bottom plate lowers and turns allowing the blade to be inserted. I've wanted to make a video for years, but don't really have the wherewithal.

By the way, a few drops of 3-in-1 oil worked wonders on mine to ensure smooth movement. To oil the movement, which is something I pretty much never do, I removed the screw just over the Rythmic name and dripped some oil in there. That's the screw that fits into a groove in an inner rod that allows the blade to be inserted.

Thanks, that is great guidance - appreciate it. Rarely have I looked so much forward to trying a new razor :thumbup1:

I know the feeling. That's how I felt waiting for mine to arrive. I've also got the bakelite box in perfect condition, but like you, no blade boxes. The bakelite box is very solid. It weighs as much as a compact car.

I generally never use oil on any razors, but that did the trick for me. Now that I think of it, I dripped some oil onto the shaft from the top as well.

If you take the screw out, be very careful with it. It's very small and easy to lose. Also, when you put it back in, make sure that you rotate the bottom knob so that the groove in the inner rod shows through the screw hole, then put the screw back in. You'll want the screw to fit into the groove in the inner rod. All this is hard to describe, but you'll know what I'm talking about the moment you see it. The inner rod has a "J" shaped groove cut out of it and when it rides against the screw the bottom plate moves up or down and it turns. Brilliant design. Simple, elegant and just brilliant.

Looking forward to hearing how you like the shave.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Thriftiness through superior design. Great Scot. I'll buy me some kilts if I ever take home a Rythmic.

I realize gentlemen do not disclose price, but I strongly suspect that razor cost more than my best kilt.

Which, by the way is pure merino wool, Maple Leaf pattern (Canada's national tartan), pleated to the sett.

O.H.

I realize gentlemen do not disclose price, but I strongly suspect that razor cost more than my best kilt.
Which, by the way is pure merino wool, Maple Leaf pattern (Canada's national tartan), pleated to the sett.
O.H.

Man, I think your kilt would be a matching set to this beauty :lol1:

6C3439F5-2360-4DC6-9E1E-22E7E60E54E2.gif

Top Bottom