What's new

The SCORE! Post your acquisitions here

I have not. So Final Finish is a product offered by David Tubbs to fire lap a barrel. It is either offered as 10 loaded rounds or 10 bullets that come impregnated with five gradesof abrasive grit (and is actually VERY fine) that lap the barrel as you shoot. The action takes out tight spots and removes chatter and machining marks as you go. The process is to shoot the 10 rounds of Compound No.1 followed by a through cleaning, repeat with Compound No. 2, etc. I've only made to No.3 but bore scoping has shown results! Having said that I would see what your rifle is capable of. The .338LM needs it but my 6.5CM MSR-10 shoots .3 to .4 MOA groups all day. One other downside (sorta) is that Tubb's only offers the 6.5 rounds in bullet form so you have either roll your own or have someone whip them up for you. David recommends Arizona Ammunition and they can set you up for $89.00+shipping with either the Neco Pressure Lapping system (for REALLY bad barrels) or Tubb's Final Finish kit loaded and ready to rock! I'll post before and after pics of the throat and bore once I finish up. Oh, and none of my business but why solids? My 6.5 LOVES Hornady's 140gr ELD-Ms!
I think I may have misunderstood the premise of your original post, and am certainly way in over my head here. Let me explain:

I purchased some self defense rounds for our 9mm and .40 cal, which just happen to be solid copper hollow point rounds made by C.O.P. and H.E.L.O.. I made the assumption that your barrel had accumulated copper bits in or on its surface, that you were unable to remove or smooth out satisfactorily. This got my attention as I'm going to be taking the new ammo I bought to the range to get friendly with it. A friend of mine is a Sergeant and he said he loves solid copper but has to clean his pistol really well after every range visit because it builds up inside the barrel.

Was my initial reply nonsensical or did I misunderstand your post? If so, I apologize for the confusion. I know I'm confused now haha

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I think I may have misunderstood the premise of your original post, and am certainly way in over my head here. Let me explain:

I purchased some self defense rounds for our 9mm and .40 cal, which just happen to be solid copper hollow point rounds made by C.O.P. and H.E.L.O.. I made the assumption that your barrel had accumulated copper bits in or on its surface, that you were unable to remove or smooth out satisfactorily. This got my attention as I'm going to be taking the new ammo I bought to the range to get friendly with it. A friend of mine is a Sergeant and he said he loves solid copper but has to clean his pistol really well after every range visit because it builds up inside the barrel.

Was my initial reply nonsensical or did I misunderstand your post? If so, I apologize for the confusion. I know I'm confused now haha
Not at all but I think we are coming at things from different angles... You are talking pistol and I was talking magnum rifle. In my limited experience pistol ammo doesn't have the chamber pressures or velocities to law down copper in serious amounts. Even with +P 9mm ammo we are talking what? 1450FPS? I've done 1000 rounds in a session and used nothing more than some Hoppe's No.9 to wipe out the copper and carbon. I was talking about a rifle that lays down copper like a top fuel dragster doing a burn out! :lol:Unless your pistol's barrel is rough as a cob I think maintenance will be pretty easy. At the worst get some Hoppe's Bench Rest (I like the foaming version), pump a few shots in the barrel and let it sit for a few minutes, and patch it out.

Last edited:
Not at all but I think we are coming at things from different angles... You are talking pistol and I was talking magnum rifle. In my limited experience pistol ammo doesn't have the chamber pressures or velocities to law down copper in serious amounts. Even with +P 9mm ammo we are talking what? 1450FPS? I've done 1000 rounds in a session and used nothing more than some Hoppe's No.9 to wipe out the copper and carbon. I was talking about a rifle that lays down copper like a top fuel dragster doing a burn out! :lol:Unless your pistol's barrel is rough as a cob I think maintenance will be pretty easy. At the worst get some Hoppe's Bench Rest (I like the foaming version), pump a few shots in the barrel and let it sit for a few minutes, and patch it out.
I can't thank you enough for this. I just got my first Creedmoor by the way, but I'm just shooting standard ammunition through it. It's a Thompson. 5R rifled barrel :) Now whether I hit anything with it? We'll see hehe.

nikonNUT

I can't thank you enough for this. I just got my first Creedmoor by the way, but I'm just shooting standard ammunition through it. It's a Thompson. 5R rifled barrel :) Now whether I hit anything with it? We'll see hehe.
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the 6.5 CM! They are tack drivers and make 1K shots easy! Full disclosure, I was “cheating” and running a Kestrel 5700 blue toothed to StrelokPro for my holds Make me call my own dials and dope and things would have gotten ugly quick :lol: but everything I fed it worked well. I’m a sucker for Hornady’s 140gr ELD-M ammo but l140gr American Gunner and Sellier and Beloit's offerings worker great too! Just needs “tad” more hold over. At 1K we are talking 8.9MILs for the ELD-m stuff versus 9.2MILs for the others. Regardless I was amazed how easy it was to ring steel way out there. I think you will really love that T/C!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Ammo Squared shipment. I was expecting 250, they shipped 500 (why have 250 when you can get 500 for twice the price?) All target ammo. Hopefully, there will be a nice enough day this week that I can get out and fire a few mags thru the PPQs (SC & Q4 Tac); in the process I'm sure I'll find out just how mediocre a shot i am. I'll post targets, good or bad. Almost forgot. 39 cents a round, not a great price, but less than any place I've seen in the last few months.

1025201147_HDR~2.jpg

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the 6.5 CM! They are tack drivers and make 1K shots easy! Full disclosure, I was “cheating” and running a Kestrel 5700 blue toothed to StrelokPro for my holds Make me call my own dials and dope and things would have gotten ugly quick :lol: but everything I fed it worked well. I’m a sucker for Hornady’s 140gr ELD-M ammo but l140gr American Gunner and Sellier and Beloit's offerings worker great too! Just needs “tad” more hold over. At 1K we are talking 8.9MILs for the ELD-m stuff versus 9.2MILs for the others. Regardless I was amazed how easy it was to ring steel way out there. I think you will really love that T/C!
Funny you should mention that, I love the 6.5 Creedmoor ever since my friend let me shoot his at the range. I also love Hornady rounds and after watching this video:
, I'm dying to try the 140 grain ELD. And I am a big fan of Sellier and Bellot! The first ammo I ever bought of theirs was paper hull #4 Shot. I wish I could afford their other offerings. Hell, I wish I could even get my hands on it at all to begin with! Going back to the Creedmoor; first shot I ever took of it (or any rifle at ANY distance,) I was 100yds out and hit the target dead center on the first pull. I turned and looked at my buddy and he smirked and goes, "yeah," as in, "that's the Creedmoor for ya." I was like, "no way I can do that again." Four more shots, 3.5" grouping. First time, remember that. Also, I have worse than 40/70 vision and don't wear glasses. I love the Creedmoor!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Very nice. There is nothing better looking, then a classic 1911 .45 which from the finish wear, looks like it's being shot & carried.

Beautiful!

Last edited:
Picked this up last week, but wanted to do some work on it before sharing it with y’all. Keltec KS7 12g. Added an AR15 rail to the top of the carry handle for some optics. The sight is some no name sight that came with one of my crossbows. It’s just a placeholder until I can get something better. Installed the extended butt pad, and an M-LOK mounted quick release sling.

CE55739C-6710-472F-885B-7E486333333B.jpeg

nikonNUT

Doing something incredibly stupid... 🤣 I shouldn’t be changing this close but I grabbed 100 of the Hormady 285gr. ELD-Ms. Ballostics solver says they are incredibly flat shooting (like 5 MILs less dial @2K) and I can push them faster so I gotta give them a go!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
A PSA (Public Service Annoucement):

My local LGS has a COLT SAA in stock. Bare metal, one grip has a large piece missing at the bottom, bore nice, lockup and timing almost like new.

Anyone that might be interested is a user grade SAA drop me a PM and I'll provide contact info. Likely a 4K gun.

Top Bottom