What's new

The SCORE! Post your acquisitions here

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Nothing here yet (perfection takes time) but I ordered a Precision Underground suppressor wrap and some proper Tenebreax scope caps...

Fun little pea-shooter added this weekend! Glock 44 in .22LR
BC64451D-D373-45A3-8833-F2B854008E87.jpeg

nikonNUT

Well I was supposed to have a B&T Altas 5-H show up for the .338LM yesterday. Getting tired of swaping clamps on the PRS from QD to ARCA Lock plus the 5-H is WAY more stable than the PRS. Tracking shows it listed as "Delivered-Front Door". When I got the text 10 minutes later it wasn't there. Filed a lost package submission immediately and hoping it shows up tomorrow (along with my Tenebraex scope caps). Something about 6 different drivers covering the route Saturday so hopefully they find it quick like or I will not be nice!

P.S. I will give the local Post Office props for calling me back within 10 minutes of my submission for a service request. Me thinks I wasn't the only one having issues yesterday...

Last edited:

nikonNUT

Bit the bullet on a Sightmark Wraith today and I am impressed! I know nothing about NV but the build quality is impressive and I was not expecting an aluminum body and IR illuminator for 499.99! Been in the yard stalking the cats for the last hour or so :lol: and I can actually see the patterns in their coats at 50 yards. While it is a 32x unit things get a bit digitally noisy above 12x but that should be enough to bust hogs out to 200 yards!
Wraith.jpg

Only downside I really see is that I need a pic rail riser to get square behind the scope but Monstrum fixed that for $18.00!

Couldn't help myself. Passed a savage axis in 30-06 at Walmart. Just over $130 all in. $50 rebate from savage made it under $85 after tax. I was tempted to buy one in every caliber I don't already have, but thought I'd leave them for someone who actually needs a cheap rifle for this fall.

They also had the scoped axis XP for around $190 (same rebate) and the scoped Remington 700 for ~$225 - $75 rebate. Would've grabbed that instead, but my store only had the .270, which I definitely didn't need another one of.

Late last week I was browsing brickseek.com and saw a local walmart supposedly had a Savage Axis XP(non AccuTrigger) in .308 for $74 and needing to pick up some oil from there anyway I checked out the sporting goods department to see if this could possibly be true.
(I had seen a couple post's on another forum about people buying Savage XP's at absurdly low prices and thought it to be BS.)
So I start squinting behind the counter at the rack and see a Savage for $74, I press the button for assistance and about 10 minutes later someone shows up. I ask to see the rifle and when the lady pulled it out I could see the price on the one that was behind it and it was also $74, but that one had the AccuTrigger!

I look at the first one and it was the Savage XP in .308 I saw on brickseek, I asked her what caliber the one behind this was, she looked and said 6.5 Creedmoor, I asked her if that was the correct price on the Creedmoor, she scanned it and said "that's what it rang up" I handed the .308 back and said I will take the 6.5.
Turns out it was a Savage Axis 2 which comes with the AccuTrigger.
I left the .308 and brought home the 6.5 Creedmoor for $79.55 and with a $50 rebate Savage has going right now I just couldn't pass it up.

6.5 creedmoor.JPG

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The very first 22lr rifle I ever shot belonged to the dad of a friend. It was 1952 or 1953 and I was probably about ten years old and it was a Sears JC Higgins semi-automatic. It had a scope and the handle for the bolt was on the left hand side and pretty far forward. You loaded it by putting the bullets in a tube and then pushing a rod down the tube that held them inside. The rifle did have a scope on it and was an easy to take off or put on scope because he let us shoot both ways. It had a long barrel and was almost as tall as our shoulder.

Honestly I hadn't thought much about that gun since that summer but recently there was a YouTube video that caught my eye when I was looking for some info on my old JC Higgins 42. There it was. Just like I remembered it and sure enough, there was even one in pretty fair shape for sale and a dealer from whom I've bought some other C&R handguns. A quick phone call and the rifle is now headed my way.

The gun is the JC Higgins Model 28 which was a lower end 22lr made for Sears by High Standard. It was basically the High Standard Model 30 but without the fancier forend wood that extended back to cover the receiver. This particular model was only made for about 6 months in the second half of 1951. The barrel is almost 24" long so a really nice sight radius. Overall it appears to be in pretty good shape with one interesting anomaly, what appears to be a set of canine bite marks in the stock.

28-02.jpg
28-08.jpg

With shipping running slow it probably won't get here until sometime next week.

28-01.jpg

Top Bottom