What's new

The SCORE! Post your acquisitions here

Screenshot_20190601-212752_Photos.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Fine looking dog!

Thanks! Found her at a K-9 training kennel. She's a little undersized and didn't make the cut to be a working police officer, but she's super smart and already has $4,000 worth of training. And for $750 she will make one heck of a pet keeping my home safe. :)

Thanks! Found her at a K-9 training kennel. She's a little undersized and didn't make the cut to be a working police officer, but she's super smart and already has $4,000 worth of training. And for $750 she will make one heck of a pet keeping my home safe. :)

The training is a huge benefit.
Hope she fits in well.

OkieStubble

Very nice! Have your Rotties accepted the new dog OK?

I sold my house and acreage about 14 months ago and downsized to a two bedroom Townhome in a gated community. Mostly retired folk here, about 1600 square feet. The Rott's live with my eldest son now, with his wife and two kids. My beloved Weiner dog 'Ginger,' went to doggie heaven about 8 months ago at the golden age of 14. She was an awesome girl who was always in charge of the house and the Rotties. I can tell they miss her.

The wife and I was actually discussing getting a cat for the Townhome. You know, something a little more independent and easier to care for since our focus has been to downsize and streamline in order to be more efficient and cost effective. A Malinois is a high octane critter; and needs lots of attention and lots of things to do with their time because they are very focused and purpose driven. That's why they make great police dogs. I have no clue what to do with a rejected K-9, but I am going to have to try and figure it out.

She's had too much police focused training to put her in a home with children, but they have had her kenneled for several months now since terminating her training and she most likely would have been put down if a proper home wasn't found. So I paid the $750 the department has spent on her care since she was imported and brought her home. I've had her two days now and am already wondering "what the hell was I thinkin'?" :)

But she needed somebody and I just happened to be there. But at least, If I'm not up to the task, she has more time I can find her a home where somebody is. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Good on you! Best of luck with the K-9! I'm more of a dog person than a cat person, but haven't had a dog in many years. If I can persuade SWMBO, I'll get some sort of dog when I retire. For now we (she) have two cats, but they are mostly out door cats. We let them in for the night when the weather is bad. They have managed to survive for 6 years, despite coyotes and bobcat in the area.

1577134578614.jpeg

After reading the thread about 22 pistols, I ordered this Mark IV. Should be a plinking dream. Probably going to get a red dot.

I sold my house and acreage about 14 months ago and downsized to a two bedroom Townhome in a gated community. Mostly retired folk here, about 1600 square feet. The Rott's live with my eldest son now, with his wife and two kids. My beloved Weiner dog 'Ginger,' went to doggie heaven about 8 months ago at the golden age of 14. She was an awesome girl who was always in charge of the house and the Rotties. I can tell they miss her.

The wife and I was actually discussing getting a cat for the Townhome. You know, something a little more independent and easier to care for since our focus has been to downsize and streamline in order to be more efficient and cost effective. A Malinois is a high octane critter; and needs lots of attention and lots of things to do with their time because they are very focused and purpose driven. That's why they make great police dogs. I have no clue what to do with a rejected K-9, but I am going to have to try and figure it out.

She's had too much police focused training to put her in a home with children, but they have had her kenneled for several months now since terminating her training and she most likely would have been put down if a proper home wasn't found. So I paid the $750 the department has spent on her care since she was imported and brought her home. I've had her two days now and am already wondering "what the hell was I thinkin'?" :)

But she needed somebody and I just happened to be there. But at least, If I'm not up to the task, she has more time I can find her a home where somebody is. :)
Feel sorry for the poor SOB that breaks into your house! Might be better off dealing with you...... or maybe not 🤔

OkieStubble

Feel sorry for the poor SOB that breaks into your house! Might be better off dealing with you...... or maybe not 🤔

She's only 8 months old, so she has alot more growing up to do. I most likely will be giving her up to a younger officer in the next week or so. Me and the wife are getting older and are looking to have less responsibilities not more. In just the 3 short weeks we have had her, we realize she is definitely a completely different type of working breed than the 4 different Rottweilers I have raised over the years.

I have quickly learned in just the 3 weeks, while Rottweilers can be trained to be excellent K-9's, Belgium Malinois are bred and born to be "working" constantly. She is only 8 months old, but is 20X more intelligent then my Rotts ever hoped to be. Not that Rotts aren't smart, They just weren't "smarter than me." I am finding, she is definitely much smarter then me.

I have quickly come to the realization, that she deserves a greater knowledge of training that I can't provide. Training that would take the time, knowledge and research that an older gent like myself who is beginning to wind down with his life just can't muster up, even if I wanted to.

The ability and energy and drive she has to learn and do the things she is capable of is off the charts. I have also realized, that even if I could give her this training myself, you can't just let a trained dog be a house pet. They have to have a job to do, to go to, every single day, or they won't be happy. I have never seen a Rottweiler or even a German Shepherd with that kind of intensity. But I have found out quickly, it's just how a Belgium Malinois is geared.

She will work for 8 straight hours, with the utmost attention, just to touch a tennis ball thrown by her master for 5 minutes. So she definitely deserves more than I can give her. I have reached out to a small suburban police department in our locale, where there is a young and up and coming officer who wants to create their own K-9 division. I don't know if she can be that for them, since she was rejected by our larger dept. But I think at the very least, it will give her a good home where she can; not only continue to have a purpose which she constantly strives for, but I think she will also be good for this young officer to learn and grow with himself. He seems to be really committed to it.

Their department can't afford to purchase a dog and I just happen to be giving one away for free, so hopefully it will work out for all involved. She has been an awesome dog for the last 3 weeks, but she deserves much better then me.

Last edited:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
WOW! Damn that's cool! I just changed my mind on what kind of 1911 I want, just this second! :)
Thank you, sir! I've been after a 9mm 1911 platform for a long time and when I saw this one at the LGS I had to grab it! Commander profile (4.15" bull barrel), beautiful construction, and 17+1 with a flush mag and 20+1 with the extended (I think there is a 26+1 as well if you want to get silly) and I was sold. Plus, 9mm is so much cheaper on range days! :lol:

OkieStubble

Thank you, sir! I've been after a 9mm 1911 platform for a long time and when I saw this one at the LGS I had to grab it! Commander profile (4.15" bull barrel), beautiful construction, and 17+1 with a flush mag and 20+1 with the extended (I think there is a 26+1 as well if you want to get silly) and I was sold. Plus, 9mm is so much cheaper on range days! :lol:

I don't know what to say except +1! It's perfect in every way!

Top Bottom