What's new

The SCORE! Post your acquisitions here

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm guessing that the reason why the Alien Gear holster closes up a bit and the Stealth operator doesn't is because the stealth operator is all kydex while the Alien Gear is a leather/kydex hybrid holster.
I have several hybrid holsters that I've pretty much stopped using because I just prefer all kydex. My go-to OWB holsters are Blade Tech. My favorite IWB holsters are from PJ Holsters. I also recently got a light-bearing OWB holster from Priority 1, and I am very impressed with it.

That seems to be the case. I was at my local range this morning and talked to a couple of guys who have Alien Gear holsters. They said that theirs work just fine though. It sounds like AG just night have good batches and bad batches. I plan on sending mine back since the Stealth Operator holster worked just fine for me with the drills I was doing.

That seems to be the case. I was at my local range this morning and talked to a couple of guys who have Alien Gear holsters. They said that theirs work just fine though. It sounds like AG just night have good batches and bad batches. I plan on sending mine back since the Stealth Operator holster worked just fine for me with the drills I was doing.

It's possible that the guys saying their Alien Gear holsters work just fine might not be all that discriminating in their holster choices. It's easy to say that AG holsters work, since you can holster and draw a weapon from them, and they carry pretty comfortably, but you are wanting something that doesn't partially collapse when the gun is removed. That is a feature you won't get in a hybrid holster since only half of the holster is rigid. I don't think it is a case of good batches vs bad batches, but rather expectations of performance. Sounds like with your needs, you are smart to stick with your all-kydex holster.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

It's possible that the guys saying their Alien Gear holsters work just fine might not be all that discriminating in their holster choices. It's easy to say that AG holsters work, since you can holster and draw a weapon from them, and they carry pretty comfortably, but you are wanting something that doesn't partially collapse when the gun is removed. That is a feature you won't get in a hybrid holster since only half of the holster is rigid. I don't think it is a case of good batches vs bad batches, but rather expectations of performance. Sounds like with your needs, you are smart to stick with your all-kydex holster.

My wife owns, uses and trains with a hybrid IWB from StealthGear. Hybrid holsters, especially inside the waistband will partially collapse towards the rear of the holster in the trigger guard area. The front portion of the holster, which is the slide and barrel area, stays open.

This sounds like it could just be the nature of many IWB hybrids, Including my wife's. However, I have found when teaching my wife firearm skills, to simply use the technique of finding the open front portion of her hybrid, and matching it up with the front slide and barrel of her Glock 43. When she pushes it in to re-holster, as the slide and barrel goes down into the opening, this helps the front of her trigger guard to force the partially closed holster in the rear, to open.

Either the other guys with the AG's, trigger guards don't collapse as yours, or they have also found that focusing the re-holster on matching the front of the slide and barrel tip, to the portion of the open front of the holster helps in opening the rear. The trigger guard on the gun should be the last thing that is seated upon holstering.

I would also play around with adjusting the various depth and height of the holster inside the waistband by moving the clips up or down. If the holster is too deep inside the pant, it might could be holding the trigger guard portion closed even tighter. If the holster is riding too high, your gun could fall out.

IWB's need much more adjustment to get that "feels right" thang going for ya, much more then OWB's do. :)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I picked these two up on Thursday. Both pictures were taken before I cleaned off the factory grease/lube.

The AR is a Colt LE6920. I also received some Magpul M3 PMAGs and a nylon case, which are not pictured. It turns out that I'll be getting another case and an extra M2 PMAG for free from a promo that Colt is currently doing. The gun is pictured with a Magpul MOE handguard that I received a few days ago. The sling I put on it was just from a duffle bag, since I'm still debating on what type and brand of sling to go with. I also picked up some .223 and 5.56 ammo from the FFL dealer so that I can take it out (hopefully) on Sunday without needing to go out of my way to pick up ammo.

IMG_20180713_185440861.jpg

The pistol is an H&K VP9sk. Like my full size VP9, this one is the LE version with night sights and an extra mag. The trigger on the VP9sk is just as nice, if not a bit better, than my VP9. I'm hoping to get some range time in on Sunday and put some rounds through it.

IMG_20180713_201103698.jpg

I picked these two up on Thursday. Both pictures were taken before I cleaned off the factory grease/lube.

The AR is a Colt LE6920. I also received some Magpul M3 PMAGs and a nylon case, which are not pictured. It turns out that I'll be getting another case and an extra M2 PMAG for free from a promo that Colt is currently doing. The gun is pictured with a Magpul MOE handguard that I received a few days ago. The sling I put on it was just from a duffle bag, since I'm still debating on what type and brand of sling to go with. I also picked up some .223 and 5.56 ammo from the FFL dealer so that I can take it out (hopefully) on Sunday without needing to go out of my way to pick up ammo.

View attachment 897484

The pistol is an H&K VP9sk. Like my full size VP9, this one is the LE version with night sights and an extra mag. The trigger on the VP9sk is just as nice, if not a bit better, than my VP9. I'm hoping to get some range time in on Sunday and put some rounds through it.

View attachment 897485
Very nice guns!

I stopped in at the store I bought my CZ P07(Urban Grey, suppressor ready) from and they had an Urban Grey, suppressor ready P09 in the case. I put it on layaway. They also had an Urban Grey suppressor ready 75B that was very tempting. They also had a number of HK's, including the VP9. I looked at it...something about it just turns me off.

I think Cult has now rectified this, but at one time they were the only non mil spec lower available. The FCG pins were larger than standard.

Nobody should ever forget this either. :D
proxy.php

My first MG (RDIAS). Using it in my registered sbr lower with 5.56 and .300 BLK uppers. The AR is truly the LEGO of firearms. I am researching best way to use my lower with a 9mm block and upper as well. Have read about feed problems in FA with the blocks so if I can find a 9mm complete build with a low RDIAS compatible shelf I may go that route instead of a conversion.
IMG_20180714_134617.jpg
IMG_20180714_134800.jpg
IMG_20180714_134953.jpg
IMG_20180714_135146.jpg
IMG_20180714_135356.jpg

What I love about the registered drop in auto sear is that I can legally pop it into any AR build (must have M16 BCG and low shelf though), install a FA FCG/selector and have another FA firearm with no additional tax stamps.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

My first MG (RDIAS). Using it in my registered sbr lower with 5.56 and .300 BLK uppers. The AR is truly the LEGO of firearms. I am researching best way to use my lower with a 9mm block and upper as well. Have read about feed problems in FA with the blocks so if I can find a 9mm complete build with a low RDIAS compatible shelf I may go that route instead of a conversion.View attachment 897552 View attachment 897553 View attachment 897554 View attachment 897555 View attachment 897556
What I love about the registered drop in auto sear is that I can legally pop it into any AR build (must have M16 BCG and low shelf though), install a FA FCG/selector and have another FA firearm with no additional tax stamps.

First of all, that is a very nice SBR @HDSledge, very cool. Question: Is it a standard gas block or is it regulated? Can you adjust the gas by hand? Are you planning on only subsonic 9mm? I would love to see video if you can get that going in 9mm. :)

First of all, that is a very nice SBR @HDSledge, very cool. Question: Is it a standard gas block or is it regulated? Can you adjust the gas by hand? Are you planning on only subsonic 9mm? I would love to see video if you can get that going in 9mm. :)
Thanks Okie. I fell in love with the Spike's Compressor at first sight. Sucker gets hot though, especially in FA. The foregrip/bipod is necessary unless you give it a few seconds between shots. 5.56 upper gets MUCH hotter than the .300 BLK upper.

The Compressor uppers come with a low profile non-adjustable gas block. Not very knowledgeable on the subject but I've read that an adjustable gas block gives you more flexibility when dealing with different buffers/springs and allows you to tune things up for smoother operation, eliminate bolt bounce, lower felt recoil, etc. Interested to learn more for future purchases.

I want subsonic with the 9mm but I'll probably make sure I can get a threaded build running, then apply for the stamp (and wait, 7 months on my last 2). I'm looking at options. Spike's has a 9mm upper but so far hasn't told me for sure that the bolt will trip the sear. No sear cut = no FA.

I've read that the 9mm on AR15 lower builds using mag well blocks are prone to FTF especially in FA due to the vibration shifting the block. Do you know of any complete 9mm upper/mag well block combos that for sure will trip a FA sear and run reliably on an AR15 lower?

Thanks! The Colt is my first semi-auto long gun, so it'll be interesting getting to know the intricacies of how it works and shoots.
You will love the platform. When you get ready I recommend purchasing a .300 BLK upper threaded for a suppressor. Absolute joy to shoot subsonic .300 BLK with a can. Easy to get the tax stamp for the suppressor but you can put on a flash hider or other muzzle device while you wait the 6-7 months to get the can out of jail. You can even buy a .22 conversion kit for the platform that you pop in and out in minutes. How cool is that?
CMMG .22 LR AR-15 Conversion Kit : Cabela's
ps. if you get one of these 22 LR kits don't rest the weapon on the end of the magazine while firing or it will jam. Let the magazine hang freely.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I've read that the 9mm on AR15 lower builds using mag well blocks are prone to FTF especially in FA due to the vibration shifting the block. Do you know of any complete 9mm upper/mag well block combos that for sure will trip a FA sear and run reliably on an AR15 lower?

You have read correctly young man. Everything I have read and seen, has just shown me the same ole classic problems, where 9mm subsonic just isn't creating enough gas to consistently trip the sear on a SBR. At least on direct impingement tube lengths. However, I have been reading about a few gun nuts who are researching and experimenting with piston.

I know, i know. Before you say, "but Okie, a 9mm AR is a blowback," give me a little room to maneuver here in thinking outside the box. The problem with subsonic, isn't just the gas alone per say, but it's also trying to lighten the carrier and reciprocating weights which will effect cycling rates. So tripping the sear isn't the problem, it's have enough gas and timing to trip it consistently? Am I correct in this assumption? Or reaching for straws?

I know the Sig MPX has a piston SBR, and everything I have read on it says, it's gas recoil set up is mucho less than most other 9mm AR platforms. They say, that it taps its gas from essentially where the barrel nut is in relation to the chamber on an AR.

All I'm saying is, I know I have read about some people running skeletonized 9mm DI bolts and lightweight buffer setups that are claiming reliable FA function with 9mm, just not sure if it's really subsonic 9mm they are referring to.

Could just be a wild goose chase, But I thought it Might? Could? Be possible? If you were able to use a similar setup? Did you make that drop in, or purchase it? And is it aluminum or SS?

You have read correctly young man. Everything I have read and seen, has just shown me the same ole classic problems, where 9mm subsonic just isn't creating enough gas to consistently trip the sear on a SBR. At least on direct impingement tube lengths. However, I have been reading about a few gun nuts who are researching and experimenting with piston.

I know, i know. Before you say, "but Okie, a 9mm AR is a blowback," give me a little room to maneuver here in thinking outside the box. The problem with subsonic, isn't just the gas alone per say, but it's also trying to lighten the carrier and reciprocating weights which will effect cycling rates. So tripping the sear isn't the problem, it's have enough gas and timing to trip it consistently? Am I correct in this assumption? Or reaching for straws?

I know the Sig MPX has a piston SBR, and everything I have read on it says, it's gas recoil set up is mucho less than most other 9mm AR platforms. They say, that it taps its gas from essentially where the barrel nut is in relation to the chamber on an AR.

All I'm saying is, I know I have read about some people running skeletonized 9mm DI bolts and lightweight buffer setups that are claiming reliable FA function with 9mm, just not sure if it's really subsonic 9mm they are referring to.

Could just be a wild goose chase, But I thought it Might? Could? Be possible? If you were able to use a similar setup? Did you make that drop in, or purchase it? And is it aluminum or SS?

I made the RDIAS in my shop. Just kidding, not FFL/SOT. Easy to make one but prison is not where I want to spend 20 years or so. It's aluminum with a steel trip. No wear so far after about 500 rounds except for a little smudge on the trip. If it ever breaks you can have them repaired but it looks like I will get thousands or rounds downrange without any wear, maybe need a new trip one day.

I'm trying a 5.5 oz heavybuffers.com UCIW compatible buffer since my LWRC UCIW stock came with 3.2 oz. buffer. Was kinda bouncy. The 9mm buffer he sells is much heavier. I may be able to get by with the 5.5 oz. for all 3 uppers considering your info above.

While we are on the subject CMMG has a radial delayed blowback bolt 9mm upper. I wonder how it would perform in FA with the standard Colt weight 5.5 oz buffer? I have some questions in to CMMG about it.

The squirrelly nature of the mag well blocks may be my biggest problem.

OkieStubble

I made the RDIAS in my shop. Just kidding, not FFL/SOT. Easy to make one but prison is not where I want to spend 20 years or so. It's aluminum with a steel trip. No wear so far after about 500 rounds except for a little smudge on the trip. If it ever breaks you can have them repaired but it looks like I will get thousands or rounds downrange without any wear, maybe need a new trip one day.

I'm trying a 5.5 oz heavybuffers.com UCIW compatible buffer since my LWRC UCIW stock came with 3.2 oz. buffer. Was kinda bouncy. The 9mm buffer he sells is much heavier. I may be able to get by with the 5.5 oz. for all 3 uppers considering your info above.

While we are on the subject CMMG has a radial delayed blowback bolt 9mm upper. I wonder how it would perform in FA with the standard Colt weight 5.5 oz buffer? I have some questions in to CMMG about it.

The squirrelly nature of the mag well blocks may be my biggest problem.

Lol'd, you're funny! :) I was asking naively, not professionally! I was actually thinking, that's damn good work! :lol:

Lol'd, you're funny! :) I was asking naively, not professionally! I was actually thinking, that's damn good work! :lol:
:)It's such a simple part. You could easily print one if it was legal to do so.

I'll pm you when I get some ducks in a row re. 9mm upper/conversion. If you come across any info let me know.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
They also had a number of HK's, including the VP9. I looked at it...something about it just turns me off.

Try firing one if you ever get a chance. I've had a number of guys at my range try one and afterwards exclaim that a VP9 will be their next pistol purchase.

Nobody should ever forget this either. :D
proxy.php

That's cool and all that it's humorous, but I'm more concerned with performance, opposed to marketing campaigns.

Very nice guns Erik, feels like Christmas! :)

Thanks, Rob! Christmas indeed. Christmas in July!

Last edited:
I'm really not all that much of a pistol guy. As much as I like my CZ's, I still distinctly prefer revolvers. Nothing has ever felt as right in my hand as a K frame S&W. Probably not all that surprising given that they were what I learned to shoot centerfire with. :) I don't recall the number of firearms I have looked at and wanted to own...until I handled them and found they were not to my liking at all. The same thing occurs with how a gun feels, and yet otherwise holds no appeal. I've made the mistake of buying those firearms on a couple of occasions, only to sell or trade them shortly thereafter. I will say that the VP9 looks like it would fit my hand well, but even that being true is highly unlikely to convince me to buy one.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Nothing too crazy, but I picked up a Hogue pistol grip for my AR. I kept on switching between this one and one of the Magpul pistol grips. They were both under $20, so I figured if I don't like the Houge grips after after a while, then I could just pick up the Magpul ones, and not be out that much.

IMG_20180729_163736567.jpg

Top Bottom