What's new

The SCORE! Post your acquisitions here

A9305EE1-4DA5-43C3-985C-5F93374CA918.jpeg
Went to my LGS to buy a lightweight AR. This one was my favorite. I don’t know much about Battle Arms Development so I guess we’ll see.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
View attachment 1565961
Went to my LGS to buy a lightweight AR. This one was my favorite. I don’t know much about Battle Arms Development so I guess we’ll see.

BAD is a Las Vegas Nevada company. They make some really nice lightweight custom AR’s and will design rifles to customer’s requests but it costs more. To me from your pic, it looks like you got their rack grade rifle called the ‘workhorse’.

Don’t let rack grade fool ya, it’s a quality rifle and probably their most popular sold.

Their upper and lowers are first rate quality. You won’t see any daylight between the two. If I’m not mistaken, the throw lever selector switch is ambidextrous?

It’s a high grade selector switch which works a lot like the excellent throw lever from Radian Arms, where the thumb side is a long throw and the trigger finger side is a short throw.

In fact, looking at their throw lever, bolt release and mag catch, it looks to me like they were heavily influenced by Radian Arms designs.

If your AR is the Workhorse model, it weighs in at about 6.28 pounds. Not bad at all for a full sized rifle.

The only cons about them?

While they make a high quality rifle, why isn’t their barrel chrome lined? Makes absolutely no sense to me, to not treat the inside of a barrel of a high quality rifle?

Rumor has it, a few folks have sent back rifles after they warped their steel barrels by shooting more then 20 rounds a minute. Word has it that BAD told them by doing that, they voided their warranty?

Really? I dunno, could just be negative gossip, but that’s grapevine. Do you mind me asking what you paid for it?

I have seen between $1300-$1600? If this was in your range, you could have got a BCM for less? Not much out there better then BCM?

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Picked up a long-awaited CMP service grade 1911A1 yesterday morning & though initially disappointed that it was not matching (slide/frame), after some research, I am thrilled to have this pistol … which will be a shooter.

The 1943 Colt, commercial-turned-USGI frame possesses both, a flaming bomb (provisional inspection) & a crossed cannon (acceptance) cartouche - this is somewhat unique, in that the flaming bomb was discontinued & replaced by the crossed cannon cartouche. Also bearing a Colt employee #55 stamp, the Colt pistol was rebuilt @ the Rock Island Arsenal sometime before/around 07/19/1946, which was the date on which RIA inspector, Frank Krack (FA stamp) retired.

The grips panels are late-war Keyes (star 16s) which possibly replaced the original Colt panels during the RIA rebuild.

Both, the non-Colt slide & barrel were added sometime after 1968. They are, much to my delight, highly regarded USGI-contract, Israeli Military Industries (IMI) replacements. The slide & the chrome-lined barrel are akin (hardening process) to Series-70s counterparts.

I submitted what is called an RCPT FOIA Request with the Redstone Aresenal US Army Post & in a week or so, I should have a timeline detailing this pistol’s comings & goings.

Exploded view:

Cleaned & lubed:

Last edited:
BAD is a Las Vegas Nevada company. They make some really nice lightweight custom AR’s and will design rifles to customer’s requests but it costs more. To me from your pic, it looks like you got their rack grade rifle called the ‘workhorse’.

Don’t let rack grade fool ya, it’s a quality rifle and probably their most popular sold.

Their upper and lowers are first rate quality. You won’t see any daylight between the two. If I’m not mistaken, the throw lever selector switch is ambidextrous?

It’s a high grade selector switch which works a lot like the excellent throw lever from Radian Arms, where the thumb side is a long throw and the trigger finger side is a short throw.

In fact, looking at their throw lever, bolt release and mag catch, it looks to me like they were heavily influenced by Radian Arms designs.

If your AR is the Workhorse model, it weighs in at about 6.28 pounds. Not bad at all for a full sized rifle.

While they make a high quality rifle, why isn’t their barrel chrome lined? Makes absolutely no sense to me, to not treat the inside of a barrel of a high quality rifle?

Rumor has it, a few folks have sent back rifles after they warped their steel barrels by shooting more then 20 rounds a minute. Word has it that BAD told them by doing that, they voided their warranty?

Really? I dunno, could just be negative gossip, but that’s grapevine. Do you mind me asking what you paid for it?

I have seen between $1300-$1600? If this was in your range, you could have got a BCM for less? Not much out there better then BCM?

Thanks for the info.
As far as I can tell, the model name isn't anywhere on the rifle but I looked on their website and the receipt; it is the Workhorse. I paid $750 for it. I had no experience with this brand so I really didn't know if it was a good price or not. I've bought other guns from him recently, so I know his prices are fair at least. He had some higher end ARs but I wasn't interested in anything with a longer barrel, at least not yesterday.

Got this in the mail yesterday. It's my first experience with the dual taper locking system. The RRA micro 5.56 is due today. Now I have to wait however long it takes to get the Razor can.

Curious how the flash hider inside the can affects how the can performs. Seems it should have a major effect since all that gas is being redirected and slowed down even more as opposed to a direct to barrel thread on suppressor. More back pressure I assume, maybe quieter? Will take someone more knowledgeable than I to answer that question.
IMG_5069.jpeg
IMG_5071.jpeg

Dual Taper Locking System

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Thanks for the info.
As far as I can tell, the model name isn't anywhere on the rifle but I looked on their website and the receipt; it is the Workhorse. I paid $750 for it. I had no experience with this brand so I really didn't know if it was a good price or not. I've bought other guns from him recently, so I know his prices are fair at least. He had some higher end ARs but I wasn't interested in anything with a longer barrel, at least not yesterday.

Congrats! That is a quality rifle for $750, regardless if the barrel is chrome lined. That’s what’s good about an AR. Go plink with their non treated barrel and purchase a chrome lined barrel with the money you saved on the purchase.

That’s a $1200 rifle easy.

Oh yeah by the way, you’ll want to spend some money on a better trigger. It’s only Mil-Spec. I spent $1600 on a top tier brand of rifle which had every upgrade imaginable…. Except for it’s mil-spec trigger… ugh. I just don’t get the logic sometimes. :)

Very nice, man, that is a short barrel. :)
4.5". Considering 5.56 ballistics it should be fine up to a few feet away. :) Seriously though will be looking for keyholing but if I can get decent accuracy at 50 yards I will be happy. Could not get the flash hider off by hand, no vise or block so I padded it and sat on it, that gave me the leverage to get it loose. Didn't have to exert much force. I installed the Barking Spider and it looks pretty good. Will take it out next week.

The rear takedown lug is a hair too wide for my rdias so I'll have to file off a bit so it fits. I guess the rdias is a bit off spec since I have had to narrow all the rear lugs on my uppers a fraction of a mm or so.
IMG_5080.jpeg

The Schmeisser S60 magazine is new. Interested to see how well it feeds.

OkieStubble

4.5". Considering 5.56 ballistics it should be fine up to a few feet away. :) Seriously though will be looking for keyholing but if I can get decent accuracy at 50 yards I will be happy. Could not get the flash hider off by hand, no vise or block so I padded it and sat on it, that gave me the leverage to get it loose. Didn't have to exert much force. I installed the Barking Spider and it looks pretty good. Will take it out next week.

The rear takedown lug is a hair too wide for my rdias so I'll have to file off a bit so it fits. I guess the rdias is a bit off spec since I have had to narrow all the rear lugs on my uppers a fraction of a mm or so.
View attachment 1566620
The Schmeisser S60 magazine is new. Interested to see how well it feeds.

That is really sweet lookin’.

Congrats! That is a quality rifle for $750, regardless if the barrel is chrome lined. That’s what’s good about an AR. Go plink with their non treated barrel and purchase a chrome lined barrel with the money you saved on the purchase.

That’s a $1200 rifle easy.

Oh yeah by the way, you’ll want to spend some money on a better trigger. It’s only Mil-Spec. I spent $1600 on a top tier brand of rifle which had every upgrade imaginable…. Except for it’s mil-spec trigger… ugh. I just don’t get the logic sometimes. :)
I've only used full auto mil-spec trigger group in my lower so far. School me on what you like in the other options vs. the mil-spec trigger.

OkieStubble

I've only used full auto mil-spec trigger group in my lower so far. School me on what you like in the other options vs. the mil-spec trigger.

Your mil- spec single stage trigger is just fine in your SBR’s and AR pistols. Quality two stages from companies like Geissele, turn a full sized AR and shooting to/past mid-range distances, from darkest night into brightest day. :)

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Your mil- spec single stage trigger is just fine in your SBR’s and AR pistols. Quality two stages from companies like Geissele, turn a full sized AR and shooting to/past mid-range distances, from darkest night into brightest day. :)
The Giessele SSA is a great trigger and my favorite (for everything) is the TriggerTech. Have a buddy that likes his Timney Calvin as well. I will say I do like the cassette triggers alot but anti-walk pins aren't a bad idea. KNS precision sells a set that says "Emotional support rifle" on one side and "Do not pet!" on the other! :lol:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
So I have been haggling with my little brother over a cheapie O/U he has. Don't know if he though his wife or oldest daughter was going to be interested in shooting skeet but it never happened so he has a Mossberg International Silver Reserve sitting around collecting dust with maybe 5 rounds of skeet on it. Asked him what he wanted for it and he said make me an offer. I said $500.00? He said deal. Comes in a SKB case so I'm pretty tickled. Just gotta go fetch it!

OkieStubble

The Giessele SSA is a great trigger and my favorite (for everything) is the TriggerTech. Have a buddy that likes his Timney Calvin as well. I will say I do like the cassette triggers alot but anti-walk pins aren't a bad idea. KNS precision sells a set that says "Emotional support rifle" on one side and "Do not pet!" on the other! :lol:

Timney drop in cassettes are excellent cassettes at working man prices. TriggerTech is great kit, but you will pay handsomely for it.

If one can’t decide if they want a single or double stage trigger in their AR? Geissele SSA is what you need. :)

I just picked this used Leupold 6-18x40 up. I search out older Leupolds because I don't care for some of features of the Freedom line or a comparable Freedom isn't offered.

One of the things I like about the Leupold older scopes is the coin slot adjustments. A set of 40 buck Stony Point knobs let's you have target knobs on a scope that didn't come with them. The newer scopes have finger adjustments that don't work with the Stony Point knobs.

Older Leupolds are bringing good money right now. I always tell people your money is safe in a Leupold. If you keep it long enough, inflation will push the new prices up to where you can get your money back out of your used Leupold if you decide to sell.

20221205_143654.jpg

I just put this together. I shoot rimfire benchest at least twice a week and use a Harris bipod, instead of a mechanical rest. While Harris bipods are pretty steady, they aren't rock solid. I had a guy machine a couple of legs. I took the folding legs off the bipod and bolted these on. Elevation is made by turning the leg. The bottom is radiused so the bipod will slide if shooting free recoil. If I want hold the gun, I have rubber caps that slip on the legs to make it bite the benchtop.

20221205_153439.jpg

OkieStubble

I just picked this used Leupold 6-18x40 up. I search out older Leupolds because I don't care for some of features of the Freedom line or a comparable Freedom isn't offered.

One of the things I like about the Leupold older scopes is the coin slot adjustments. A set of 40 buck Stony Point knobs let's you have target knobs on a scope that didn't come with them. The newer scopes have finger adjustments that don't work with the Stony Point knobs.

Older Leupolds are bringing good money right now. I always tell people your money is safe in a Leupold. If you keep it long enough, inflation will push the new prices up to where you can get your money back out of your used Leupold if you decide to sell.

View attachment 1567497
Agreed. I’d give one of the testacles I’m not using for a discontinued MK6. :)

Top Bottom