What's new

The Schick Nick . . .

About four months ago I nicked myself just under my left nostril. It bled a little bit but stopped and life went on except it wouldn't get well. After four months I finally made it to the dermatologist to check it out. Turns out to be precancer along with the two tiny bumps that I thought were ingrowns which have been angry for three years! Plus, another spot on the side of my nose (no shaving activity there).

Well, I looked like I came out on the wrong end of a sabre duel. Three nice sized chunks were taken by the derma-babe doctor for pathology. I am not worried in the least so no sympathy, please. When a redhead gets old this stuff happens. The derma-babe said that I now get to see her every six months!

Sometimes a shaving nick leads to more than a nick. I thought that my razors weren't hygienic enough so I bought a cheap-o ultrasonic cleaner which probably does nothing. Question: How long should I soak my Schicks in Barbricide for hygienics? I'm just a little spooked right now on the whole subject of blades on the mug.

Bonus: These three lesions follow the outline of my full-face CPAP mask! Google told me there is a link between sleep apnea and CPAP being causal to skin cancer anywhere on your body. (I had one on my back.) Seems they caused rats to have low oxygenated blood and they all developed cancers.

I'm going on that cart. "Bring out yer dead."

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I am pretty sure that if you follow the instructions on the bottle you should be fine. I use Dettol on my razors out here in Australia. Not too use though as a stronger solution will make the razor go quite sticky.

I get an all-over exam from a dermatologist yearly; my dad had a somewhat rare incidence of skin cancer and I don't want to take any chances.

Unless someone else is using your razor I don't think you have anything to worry about; daily sanitizing is only good for your peace of mind, which is nonetheless a valid concern. I rinse and lay my razor where it will dry before the next use. If soap and water is good enough for my eating and cooking utensils, it's good enough for my razor.

Top Bottom